Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Teton to Loveland CO

We will be in Grand Teton the last week of August, and need an interesting route to the Loveland area, where we will be staying for a month. I was looking at heading south out of GT toward Rock Springs, and then on to Vernal for a day or two. Then I have a couple options. I could drop down to I-70 for the easy route, or stay on 40 to 14, coming out of the mountains right in Loveland where we have a campground reservation. It looks like a beautiful route and Google Earth shows a good road. Anyone done that drive?

Or...I am definitely open to other routes through more of Wyoming if it's interesting. I've never been in that state and I can't wait to see as much as I can.

marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you been down 70 in Colorado between Grand Junction and Denver? It's REALLY pretty. You could spend a couple days in Glenwood Springs and explore the mountains in that area before you anchor on the east side...

Old 06-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
We will be in Grand Teton the last week of August, and need an interesting route to the Loveland area, where we will be staying for a month. I was looking at heading south out of GT toward Rock Springs, and then on to Vernal for a day or two. Then I have a couple options. I could drop down to I-70 for the easy route, or stay on 40 to 14, coming out of the mountains right in Loveland where we have a campground reservation. It looks like a beautiful route and Google Earth shows a good road. Anyone done that drive?

Or...I am definitely open to other routes through more of Wyoming if it's interesting. I've never been in that state and I can't wait to see as much as I can.
Map - https://binged.it/2t5pDWc

Having driven most of the possible Routes - I'd suggest trying to see as many highlights as Possible - Come out through Alpine head south catching - Flaming Gorge NRA - then Head to Dinosaur NM - Head to Rifle and Rifle Falls SP - Now to Maroon Bells just outside Aspen - If you have the time you could take the Toad on RT 82 /Independence Pass - on to Minturn - short run on RT 24 to Red Cliff/Leadville - Then Back on I-70 through the Tunnel to Golden jumping off on RT 6 after Idaho Springs (Left Exit) - stay on RT 93 to Boulder - then take Diagonal to Loveland.

Keeps you in the Mountains - exposes you to the Colorado you only see if you are exploring - Fun - Beautiful - Just Perfect.

You said you wanted to see as much as you could - IMHO once you leave the Tetons you will have a hard time unless you are up around Yellowstone getting into as much Beauty.

May be a little Crazy - But you asked,

Best of Luck,

Click on the route for more detail - and the Upper right corner for Satellite views - zoom in to see areas.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Have you been down 70 in Colorado between Grand Junction and Denver? It's REALLY pretty. You could spend a couple days in Glenwood Springs and explore the mountains in that area before you anchor on the east side...
We've spent time with family in Longmont (the reason for the stay in Loveland), and explored the area from Denver to Boulder and Estes, but nothing else in the state. Western CO is a total mystery to us. Heck, when it comes to the west in general, we are complete noobs and can't wait to get out there. We leave KY in 12 days.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Map - https://binged.it/2t5pDWc

Having driven most of the possible Routes - I'd suggest trying to see as many highlights as Possible - Come out through Alpine head south catching - Flaming Gorge NRA - then Head to Dinosaur NM - Head to Rifle and Rifle Falls SP - Now to Maroon Bells just outside Aspen - If you have the time you could take the Toad on RT 82 /Independence Pass - on to Minturn - short run on RT 24 to Red Cliff/Leadville - Then Back on I-70 through the Tunnel to Golden jumping off on RT 6 after Idaho Springs (Left Exit) - stay on RT 93 to Boulder - then take Diagonal to Loveland.

Keeps you in the Mountains - exposes you to the Colorado you only see if you are exploring - Fun - Beautiful - Just Perfect.

You said you wanted to see as much as you could - IMHO once you leave the Tetons you will have a hard time unless you are up around Yellowstone getting into as much Beauty.

May be a little Crazy - But you asked,

Best of Luck,

Click on the route for more detail - and the Upper right corner for Satellite views - zoom in to see areas.
Oh wow that is exactly what I was looking for! I assume most of the routes you laid out are big-rig friendly, but I do have a couple questions. The side trip to Aspen/Maroon Bells, Stripe34 recommended staying in the Glenwood Springs area and exploring with the toad. I'm guessing that is the best idea?

I would love to visit Leadville, is that a rig-friendly drive too? I'm thinking that would be our last day, leaving Glenwood Springs early morning, exploring Leadville for lunch, and dinner in Loveland. What do you think?
Old 06-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Oh wow that is exactly what I was looking for! I assume most of the routes you laid out are big-rig friendly, but I do have a couple questions. The side trip to Aspen/Maroon Bells, Stripe34 recommended staying in the Glenwood Springs area and exploring with the toad. I'm guessing that is the best idea?
Great advice - hard to find a place to stay in Aspen, Dirt is all High $$$$ Used to be a place in Carbondale - but think in went the Trailer park route - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...!4d-107.224128 - you can look - a great day would be to get to the Bells Early and Hike up then possibly leave to do RT 82 with a wine and Cheese meal/Dinner ( https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html ) on one of the pull outs then Back to the Coach.

Quote:
I would love to visit Leadville, is that a rig-friendly drive too? I'm thinking that would be our last day, leaving Glenwood Springs early morning, exploring Leadville for lunch, and dinner in Loveland. What do you think?
I see you are from Kentucky - I would guess you have many local roads that are a challenge for the Coach - I have found that most of the Non Restricted roads in Colorado are just fine, so Yes all these roads will handle your combo - They have all handled my Combo - They are Good roads - Beautiful Drives - Fun places to visit - I would suggest if you can work it out to Spend the Night in Leadville - Quincy's for Dinner - Quincy's Steakhouse - - with the option of staying in Camp Hale on RT 24 or Turquoise Lake - on in town at one of the RV parks - then the drive to Loveland will be less hurried and allow you to Possible stop in Golden for Coor's tour or just to walk along Clear Creek - Love Golden - or a Possible hike into Boulder to enjoy Boulder Creek and the town.

As with most trips - you will run out of time, so you will need to make some hard choices - IMHO, the Route/Trip I have laid out, is again IMHO, as good as any National Park, and Better than Most.

The A to B part of your trip is Tetons to Glenwood Springs - Flaming Gorge is Beautiful and Dino is just different, but both are not really in what I call the Rockies ( not enough altitude to be Cool) - the Big Rocks that you will see once you get to Glenwood - This part of the trip is just almost all Eye Candy for those of us who love the Mountains - RT 24 Minturn/ Red CLiff/ Leadville is as beautiful a drive as I've seen on Paved roads, - Rt 6 into Golden is just my idea of Heaven - Clear Creek - Tunnels - Steep Sheer Walls almost the entire trip.

Keep in Mind you will not average a very high speed as you drive thru these areas.

Not sure what else I can say but - Get More Time!

Hope this Helps,
Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Actually from GA, just been in KY since March on a workamping gig. Lots of great secondary roads around here, and I'm very comfortable taking the coach on them, so no big deal there. Of course Peggy might not like some of the mountainside routes, but she can hide in the back when necessary. We're headed out in 12 days with a big western loop ahead of us, something we have both been looking forward to for a long time.

I think Aspen sounds like a great day trip, love the idea of running out 82 with a picnic dinner. We were just talking about working out the night in Leadville, breaking up the trip a bit, and we'll need it. To get to the places we want to see while keeping to the schedule will mean some long travel days, but I think it's doable.

We had originally planned on making the trip from the Tetons to Loveland in a couple days, but we're going to push that back a bit and spend a little more time getting there. We'll be posting our progress on the blog, and we'll definitely be taking your suggestions. Thanks so much for the ideas!
Old 06-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mark, you can NOT take the RV over independence pass (CDOT restriction 35 ft). Maroon bells is gorgeous - CROWDED later in the day, so if you want solitude yes early in the day is much better.

You can do a single day trip as early in the AM from Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells, hike (dog can go), then up to independence pass maybe with a picnic lunch? Then back down through Aspen and eat at the perogie place in Glenwood. Or the brewery :-)

There's also a nice hike that the dog can do west of Glenwood: grizzley Creek. Also a no-dogs hike for Hanging Lake.

If you get time in your route anywhere, it's nice to drive over the Grand Mesa and over to Marble (great restaurant - only one in town) and even prettier in Ouray. Also black canyon of the Gunnison Natl park is in that area (near Montrose) and is worth a day trip.

One more pretty park if you like waterfalls - Rifle Falls state park, not too far off I70

HTH -
CC
Old 06-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Actually from GA,

just been in KY since March on a workamping gig.

Lots of great secondary roads around here, and I'm very comfortable taking the coach on them, so no big deal there. Of course Peggy might not like some of the mountainside routes, but she can hide in the back when necessary.

We're headed out in 12 days with a big western loop ahead of us, something we have both been looking forward to for a long time.

I think Aspen sounds like a great day trip, love the idea of running out 82 with a picnic dinner. We were just talking about

working out the night in Leadville, breaking up the trip a bit, and we'll need it.

To get to the places we want to see while

keeping to the schedule will mean some

long travel days, but I think it's doable.

We had originally planned on making the trip from the

Tetons to Loveland in a couple days, but we're going to push that back a bit and

spend a little more time getting there.

We'll be posting our progress on the blog, and we'll definitely be taking your suggestions.

Thanks so much for the ideas!
Links to a few spots along the Way Dino on the Green River;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...p;d=1482890309

Narrow road on Independence Pass - Why it's length restricted;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...p;d=1483282386

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-e...ass-west-1.jpg

Just a few to keep up the interest.

Couple of Notes - you know about - Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Camping - Closer to Longmont

Also Lyons small but just a beautiful spot - Camping | Lyons, CO -

Last but not least is the Fair grounds , right in town - https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-s...ds/campground/

Biggest problem you will have once you head into the Mountains around Aspen - Is Leaving - Marble - Redstone - Crystal Mill - all will draw you back to visit again.

Fall is the time to be there - last 10 days of September - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - in the San Juan's.

Guess I am confused as to staying in Loveland and visiting Longmont?

Just a few more options. - sort of know this area as I have 4 granddaughters in Superior just south of Boulder - We will go to RMNP via RT 36 or Peak to Peak - hard to drive any road and not just want to STAY. but Estes is just too crowded for me.

Think you will love the Bells (Early hike to the Lake) then RT 82 will work - look over these Cams (4) of Aspen area -

Aspen Snowmass - The Power of Four

Probably bored you with too much info - just jealous - as we will be stuck here on the east Coast for the Summer -

Hope this is of some help,
Old 06-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Mark, you can NOT take the RV over independence pass (CDOT restriction 35 ft). Maroon bells is gorgeous - CROWDED later in the day, so if you want solitude yes early in the day is much better.

You can do a single day trip as early in the AM from Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells, hike (dog can go), then up to independence pass maybe with a picnic lunch? Then back down through Aspen and eat at the perogie place in Glenwood. Or the brewery :-)

There's also a nice hike that the dog can do west of Glenwood: grizzley Creek. Also a no-dogs hike for Hanging Lake.

If you get time in your route anywhere, it's nice to drive over the Grand Mesa and over to Marble (great restaurant - only one in town) and even prettier in Ouray. Also black canyon of the Gunnison Natl park is in that area (near Montrose) and is worth a day trip.

One more pretty park if you like waterfalls - Rifle Falls state park, not too far off I70

HTH -
CC
Aspen would be a day trip in the car from Glenwood Springs, so no problems there. A picnic lunch at the pass sounds just perfect.

Thanks for the dog tips, we definitely want to bring Samson along - he enjoys the hikes even more than we do! I don't think we'll make it down to Ouray/Telluride on this leg, but I plan on spending a lot more time in CO in the future - this is one of the leading places on our list to "settle down" at some point.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Guess I am confused as to staying in Loveland and visiting Longmont?

Probably bored you with too much info - just jealous - as we will be stuck here on the east Coast for the Summer -

Hope this is of some help,
Tons of help , thank you! As for Loveland vs Longmont, Peggy's sister lives in Longmont which is why we'll be there. But we need to be there for a month and St. Vrain has the 14-day rule, otherwise I'd definitely book there. I'll also be doing some business travel that month and Peggy says if she's going to be by herself, she's gotta have full hookup and does not want to move in the middle. That tilted us to Riverview in Loveland.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Tons of help , thank you! As for Loveland vs Longmont, Peggy's sister lives in Longmont which is why we'll be there. But we need to be there for a month and St. Vrain has the 14-day rule, otherwise I'd definitely book there. I'll also be doing some business travel that month and Peggy says if she's going to be by herself, she's gotta have full hookup and does not want to move in the middle. That tilted us to Riverview in Loveland.
Is "That Month" September? - if so you need to work in a few trips to the Colorado Passes to watch the Aspen change - this is "Bucket List" - posted this link before on Aspen - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - as good as the pictures are they are 10 times more Beautiful when you are looking out at them.

IMHO the months of September and October are hard to beat - and in Colorado they are "Heaven" - so take advantage of the time there. If you are able to stay in the Southwest, for the Winter - look to Utah as a great area to explore - no crowds and Cooler - if you need it to be warm for a while just keep heading south - seems as if Yuma is always warm in the Winter.

Just wanted to plant the Seed on the Aspen in Colorado for the last weeks of September.

Can't wait to read you Blog on this trip,
Old 06-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Is "That Month" September? - if so you need to work in a few trips to the Colorado Passes to watch the Aspen change - this is "Bucket List" - posted this link before on Aspen - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - as good as the pictures are they are 10 times more Beautiful when you are looking out at them.

IMHO the months of September and October are hard to beat - and in Colorado they are "Heaven" - so take advantage of the time there. If you are able to stay in the Southwest, for the Winter - look to Utah as a great area to explore - no crowds and Cooler - if you need it to be warm for a while just keep heading south - seems as if Yuma is always warm in the Winter.

Just wanted to plant the Seed on the Aspen in Colorado for the last weeks of September.

Can't wait to read you Blog on this trip,
Yep September, funny how well that worked out. Since Loveland is right at the base of Estes, we'll be headed up there and anywhere else we can get to in a day trip. Winter will be in the southwest somewhere, not sure where yet. Our detailed plans end with Loveland, and the general thought is southern Utah, Arizona, New Mexico. My aunt and uncle live in Kingman, so we'll spend at least a little time with them. They take a 5th wheel to Alaska for six months every year starting Mother's Day, so the rough plan is winter in the southwest, and a trip to Alaska with them in 2018. Yuma is a bit far south for us, but we might get down there for a week or so just to experience it. I figure we'll move around during the winter to see different places - we prefer NP, NFS, BLM, etc. over RV parks so once we leave Loveland, we'll spend the majority of time in those.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are planning on Alaska in 2018 also :-)