Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
great adventure to maine

going to take the motor home to Maine from north west Arkansas the first week of September, and need a little advice, there seems to be two routes
that the majority of the routing sites suggest.
one is thru new york on the thru way good road but high tolls, i drove this one in April in a moving truck.
the other is thru Pennsylvania on 80 this one i have never driven, we are going to be in a 26 ft class c not towing this trip I'm wondering which one would work out better to pay the tolls in new york or go thru Pennsylvania.
unfortunately this trip is time limited so not into site seeing this time.
the rv this trip is just a big car to make the dw comfortable we will stop in rest areas , walmarts or truck stops to sleep and at a camp ground while in Maine
any suggestions would greatly appreciated
thanks frank.

pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #2

Tolls were a ... when I went through the area 3 years ago, towing a 5th paid double because of the per axle charges, brother-in-law in his class A , no toad paid the car rate even though he was heavier.
Biggest thing to be aware of in the area ( Maine ) is that many RV parks close soon after Labor Day, by the end of Sept. you'll have to hunt for sites.
Passport America and their directory was a real savior, membership paid for it's self in 3 nights.
Unfortunately we didn't have the time to wait for the full fall colors show, as the change was a little late that year.
Safe Travels

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It depends where you are coming from. If you are anywhere near NJ, the quickest thing is the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, to 287, 87N, 84E, 90E, 495N to 95.
You will hit a bunch of tolls, but they will probably even out in gas and time saved.

By the way most campgrounds in New England stay open until Columbus Day. The major exceptions are state parks, which do tend to close in September. New England likes to capitalize on the foliage viewers.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Just take I80 to US209 north to I8 4east (Newburgh Beacon Bridge +-$5) to I90 Mass Pike ($2-3)to I495 north to I95 no toll until Maine.
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
X2 on the I-80. When we drive from Memphis to upstate NY, that's the way we go. Stay off the thruway as much as possible. I-90 Mass Pike is well taken care of (or at least was for the 10 years I drove it) and you should be fine.
Andi n Doug (Trauma901) Shadow, Moose, Star (the labs)
2010 Tiffin Allegro Open Road RED
TN Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I80 would be best if your traveling during the day, we only roll thru NY and CT after 10pm. But hay I'm a night jockey any way.
2003 Newmar Scottsdale
1997 Harley FLHT
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
thanks for the input was leaning toward I-80 but good to get positive info
will be the longest trip the rv and the dw have done together.
she doesn't travel well anymore (the dw not the rv)
want to make it smooth as possible

thanks frank

pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote