RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #1

Green Bay WI to Durango is CO 7+ Sante Fe+Mesa Verde to Moab

. Looking to take a few week trip from green bay in our 36’ class A towing to Durango Colorado area. Want to do a few trains.
Any thoughts on trip down, would rather pass Denver up. Pass up toll roads.....
My thoughts are then to go to Santa Fe NM then back up towards Moab,Bryce, Zion then back up thru Utah and catch what? Thru Cheyenne back across towards Wisconsin?
Appreciate the thoughts and advice in advance

mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #2

Once you get across the Plains and before Denver, pick up the secondary roads - perhaps I-70 to 50 around Dodge City, KS. Then 50 to I-25 south to Santa Fe then 84 north to Chama, NM (ride the train). Then 160 west to Pagosa Springs, CO and on to Durango (ride the train).

Continue west on 160 to Cortez (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park) and pick up 491 taking you into Utah. Take 191 north to Moab.

Go west a short distance on I-70 to 24 taking you to Torrey, UT and Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. Take Hwy 12 SW to Bryce. Take 12 west to 89 north to Hwy 20 west taking you to I-15 south. I-15 south to Hwy 9 east to Zion. Stay in the park at Watchman campground or in nearby Springdale. The free shuttle runs at both places. You can't do the canyon floor in Zion with your car. You need the shuttle.

Then I-15 north to I-80 east to Cheyenne.

I'd recommend at least 3-4 weeks. Lots more to see as long as you're in the area.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

I seriously like the idea of Santa Fe first then north. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
. Looking to take a few week trip from green bay in our 36’ class A towing to Durango Colorado area. Want to do a few trains.
Any thoughts on trip down, would rather pass Denver up. Pass up toll roads.....
My thoughts are then to go to Santa Fe NM then back up towards Moab,Bryce, Zion then back up thru Utah and catch what? Thru Cheyenne back across towards Wisconsin?
Appreciate the thoughts and advice in advance
Not to disagree with Twogypsies - just a different way to get there - Only problem is you might need a couple of months

MAP - https://binged.it/321yXJa - included a few options for stops along the main route - and if you were to actually have some time we could include many more.

Main idea is to get to Cheyenne then into the Rockies - Trust me there is a lot to see and do and the roads are fine in your Coach.

Steamboat area - could even catch West side of the RMNP - then Dillon Lake to Leadville - Turquoise Lake to cool down - Collegiates - Buena Vista = Arkansas River - GSDNP for a little sand - Santa Fe - then the Lake on the way to Durango - Mesa Verde - Mexican Hat/Goosenecks - Monument Valley - Page - North Rim - Zion - Bryce - RT 12 - Fruita - Green River - Moab - RT 128 - Dino NM - Flaming Gorge - Snowy Range Pass - Home

Simple !!

Don't need to do it all but nice to at least think of a few options along the way.

Utah has Many great State Parks as does Colorado - many of these locations deserve more than just a few days, and a lot of this is great in the fall - Rockies late September for the Aspen and Utah late October for a little cooler days.

However you decide to go it will be memorable - take three pictures every time you tink one will do and let us know how the trip goes.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

i can't comment about the first part of your trip. but i-25 to santa fe first makes sense. then 84 to chama (train ride). then 84 to 160 to durango (train ride). more 160 to mesa verde an four corners. then the utah parks. there is also a train in royal gorge CO which is near canon city CO a bit off I-25.

we have been in this area for the last two weeks and have taken both trains. we are at an extremely lovely relaxing rv park in bayside CO (14 miles east of durango) called riverview rv park. we have totally enjoyed it! pagosa springs CO is also totally lovely.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
i can't comment about the first part of your trip. but i-25 to santa fe first makes sense. then 84 to chama (train ride). then 84 to 160 to durango (train ride). more 160 to mesa verde an four corners. then the utah parks. there is also a train in royal gorge CO which is near canon city CO a bit off I-25.

we have been in this area for the last two weeks and have taken both trains. we are at an extremely lovely relaxing rv park in bayside CO (14 miles east of durango) called riverview rv park. we have totally enjoyed it! pagosa springs CO is also totally lovely.

Morning! Great suggestions. Any thoughts on where to stay once in Santa Fe? Durango? ( use Durango as a base to go to Mesa verde, Silverton etc) ( also traveling with a chocolate lab)
Any suggestions on monument valley? Place to stay, Navajo trip into?
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Not to disagree with Twogypsies - just a different way to get there - Only problem is you might need a couple of months

MAP - https://binged.it/321yXJa - included a few options for stops along the main route - and if you were to actually have some time we could include many more.

Main idea is to get to Cheyenne then into the Rockies - Trust me there is a lot to see and do and the roads are fine in your Coach.

Steamboat area - could even catch West side of the RMNP - then Dillon Lake to Leadville - Turquoise Lake to cool down - Collegiates - Buena Vista = Arkansas River - GSDNP for a little sand - Santa Fe - then the Lake on the way to Durango - Mesa Verde - Mexican Hat/Goosenecks - Monument Valley - Page - North Rim - Zion - Bryce - RT 12 - Fruita - Green River - Moab - RT 128 - Dino NM - Flaming Gorge - Snowy Range Pass - Home

Simple !!

Don't need to do it all but nice to at least think of a few options along the way.

Utah has Many great State Parks as does Colorado - many of these locations deserve more than just a few days, and a lot of this is great in the fall - Rockies late September for the Aspen and Utah late October for a little cooler days.

However you decide to go it will be memorable - take three pictures every time you tink one will do and let us know how the trip goes.

Best of Luck,

I will check out all those bing suggestion!
Any thoughts on places to stay in Moab? Bryce?
Come in from the west for Zion as the tunnels won’t take a motorhome?
Monument valley, place to stay, side trip thru the valley, reputable Navajo tour guide?
Thanks
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Once you get across the Plains and before Denver, pick up the secondary roads - perhaps I-70 to 50 around Dodge City, KS. Then 50 to I-25 south to Santa Fe then 84 north to Chama, NM (ride the train). Then 160 west to Pagosa Springs, CO and on to Durango (ride the train).

Continue west on 160 to Cortez (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park) and pick up 491 taking you into Utah. Take 191 north to Moab.

Go west a short distance on I-70 to 24 taking you to Torrey, UT and Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. Take Hwy 12 SW to Bryce. Take 12 west to 89 north to Hwy 20 west taking you to I-15 south. I-15 south to Hwy 9 east to Zion. Stay in the park at Watchman campground or in nearby Springdale. The free shuttle runs at both places. You can't do the canyon floor in Zion with your car. You need the shuttle.

Then I-15 north to I-80 east to Cheyenne.

I'd recommend at least 3-4 weeks. Lots more to see as long as you're in the area.

Chama nm definitely the train, place to stay?
Durango as base to Mesa verde or is it to far? Stay in Mesa verde? Suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
I will check out all those bing suggestion!
Any thoughts on places to stay in Moab? Bryce?
Come in from the west for Zion as the tunnels won’t take a motorhome?
Monument valley, place to stay, side trip thru the valley, reputable Navajo tour guide?
Thanks
Not a strong CG recommender - - Moab - we have stayed in the Boondocking in the Winter and Passport America on other stops for the Electric and A/C - Stay as close to the sights as Possible.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

We ordered our Coach so it would be able to go throught the Tunnel - Love it - as for Guides - we generally will just talk with the locals to get their recommendations - Last Guide was female and Great!

Monument Valley Gouldings for electric and View - if cool enough Goosenecks is a MUST see for the Night.

Biggest suggestion is Time - never enough - so if possible try to steal more.

Will be a great trip,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Morning! Great suggestions. Any thoughts on where to stay once in Santa Fe? Durango? ( use Durango as a base to go to Mesa verde, Silverton etc) ( also traveling with a chocolate lab)
Any suggestions on monument valley? Place to stay, Navajo trip into?
Thanks!
We've been to Santa Fe twice and stayed at the Santa Fe Skies RV park. Very clean with friendly staff.

In Durango the KOA was mostly nice. The only downside was that there was only one site where the ground was level. However it was convenient for touring.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Near Durango stay at the Riverside Park in Bayfield. Great people run the park and it is a beautiful place. You can see Durango, Silverton, Mesa Verde, Pagosa Springs as well as other sites in the area. Spent a week there this spring.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

If staying in Durango (we used Haviland Lake national forest campground), you can easily do a LONG day trip up to Silverton and return via Hwy 145 (Telluride) down to Cortez and back to Durango.

However, if you want to tour Mesa Verde (Cortez) it's best to move there. That's too much for one day.

Our way of traveling is to move to the important places rather than spend hours driving and being too exhausted to do the places justice. Plus, as far as national parks, you'd want to explore them more than a few hours and if you had to drive hours to get there you probably wouldn't make the drive more than once.

Mesa Verde has a nice campground with some electric sites.

Note: Explore every national park's web sites for lots of good information on things to do, road information, special alerts and for you.... information on where dogs are allowed. Usually you can't take them on trails although there are some exceptions. You're planning many national parks. Would someone be able to watch your dog at home?

Santa Fe Skies is a nice park. Chama has a few RV parks and for just doing the train any would be suitable. We boondocked on national forest land.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #13

Anyone driven the Million Dollar Highway in a Motorhome. I've heard not to do it.
Kparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kparson View Post
Anyone driven the Million Dollar Highway in a Motorhome. I've heard not to do it.
We just left there and I wouldn’t drive my Mh over the million dollar highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CB73D77-B853-48EE-B6FC-118AB1DFCC9A.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	258304  

Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote