Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Gunnison Co to Denver Route?

I'm mapping out a route from Gunniston, CO, eastbound on Co 50. I have a 32 ft gas motorhome with a four down. Any thoughts on joining CO 285 north at Poncha Springs and going this way to Denver. AAA is sending me East to Peublo, staying on 50 before joing NB 25 to Denver. 285 is more direct and senic but seems like a lot of passes. I'd appreciate anyone's input who has been this way.

rvfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was on that road going to Denver last fall. It was a nice scenic drive with nothing to worry about. That said, coming in toward Denver I did keep my speed down on a couple of downhills, just because, I have been through the mountains with smaller vehicles but this was my first time in the MH.

1996 HR Endeavor LE, 5.9 Cummins 230hp
Hartford, WI
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Good info. Thanks for your help, I have adjusted my route accordingly and looking forward to the drive.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
285 is mostly 1 lane in each direction but is well traveled and maintained. As always, keep your rig geared down on the descents, be courteous and use turnouts and don't forget to bring your fly rod and camera. There are some classic trout streams/rivers you will be passing close by but I can't give everything away.

Stop in Fairplay for the famed South Park origins.

Always check 285 road conditions before proceeding because there could be the freak snow storm occurring even during summer months...most likely not but never hurts to be completely prepared.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Perfect. This will be a nice segment. I've got the camera, fly rod and the breaks are checked out. We are coming from Irvine, CA, going to Mt Rushmore and returning via Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Will be gone 4 weeks. Thanks for the info and the wisdom about, "surfing builds charactors". I agree.