Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #1

Harrisburg PA to FL

Want some advice ,traveling from Harrisburg pa to port Richie fla ,towing a 30 foot Winnebago TT .going on 12/27 welcome any comments where to stay etc.what the best. Route.
Jonnypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #2

if we were in a hurry we preferred 81 to 77 and then head over to 75. Much nicer than heading down 95
Old 11-22-2016, 03:05 AM   #3

I agree . Stay off 95. Trucks and coumuter traffic is out of control..
Lots of good CG on that route. This time of the year watch the weather. Better to sit for a couple of days rather than getting mixed up with snow covered roads
Joe
Old 11-22-2016, 03:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Route I-81 is getting just as bad for truck traffic as I-95 has been over the years.

I've been on I-81 between Harrisburg PA and I-77 going in both directions bit in October when my brother and I had to make an emergency trip to our winter homes in Flagler Beach FL to do some minor hurricane repairs. A few days ago I was on I-81 again heading south for the winter and the trucks outnumbered the cars many times.

However, I would still take I-81 over I-95. Just be careful driving as the trucks barrel along at 70 mph.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Harrisburg to FL

We go every year - Harrisburg to Florida - and have for 5 years. I81 is the only way to go. We stay at Fort Chiswell Campground in Wytheville, VA first night. (This is right at the 81/77 interchange). Second night at Coastal Georgia Campground in Brunswick, GA. This should get you into Pt. Richie the third day without too much stress. Both these campgrounds cater to travelers, you will meet many others making the same trip.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #6

Hello

You go 81 to 77 then what is Atlanta a traffic issue?
Old 12-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypip View Post
You go 81 to 77 then what is Atlanta a traffic issue?
77 does not go through Atlanta. 75 does and it can be nasty

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I do a monthly trip from NJ to the Keys and pass by Harrisburg on every trip!

I-81 to Rt. 50 in VA. Right in Paris, VA to Rt. 17 and follow that to Opal, VA (good BBQ place on left in truck stop) where you'll make a left to stay on 17.

That will take you to Fredericksburg where you'll hop onto I-95 South. Take the 295 bypass around Jacksonville. I prefer this route for a few reasons:

- in the winter, I-77 takes you over Fancy Gap which can have snow and ice
- other than Richmond and Jacksonville, you don't drive through any real major cities like Atlanta.
- the truck traffic is something you have to deal with on all interstates.
- I-95 is two lanes through most of NC and SC so you can get stuck in the slow lane but you'll have 3 lanes through GA and FL
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #9

hello

I want to go to the west coast I don't want to go 1-95 I want to take 75 into fla.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I do a monthly trip from NJ to the Keys and pass by Harrisburg on every trip!

I-81 to Rt. 50 in VA. Right in Paris, VA to Rt. 17 and follow that to Opal, VA (good BBQ place on left in truck stop) where you'll make a left to stay on 17.

That will take you to Fredericksburg where you'll hop onto I-95 South. Take the 295 bypass around Jacksonville. I prefer this route for a few reasons:

- in the winter, I-77 takes you over Fancy Gap which can have snow and ice

- other than Richmond and Jacksonville, you don't drive through any real major cities like Atlanta.

- the truck traffic is something you have to deal with on all interstates.

- I-95 is two lanes through most of NC and SC so you can get stuck in the slow lane but you'll have 3 lanes through GA and FL

We are making our first trip to the Keys - coming from outside Philadelphia - would you still go this way?
Nmdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypip View Post
I want to go to the west coast I don't want to go 1-95 I want to take 75 into fla.
Then it looks like you have your route and you've made up your mind! Safe travels!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmdoyle View Post
We are making our first trip to the Keys - coming from outside Philadelphia - would you still go this way?
Yes, just take the PA Turnpike/I-76 out to Carlisle and then hop on 81. I used to have offices in Horsham and Blue Bell for years so I'm familiar with the Blue Route mess when you hit 95.

PM me if you need any specific Keys info.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #13

When going to St Augustine Florida from Plymouth Meeting, it's adding two more hours if you go route 81 instead of 95. But it sounds like everyone is saying go 81 to Richmond VA instead even though it's a longer trip.
Sunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:36 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine23 View Post
When going to St Augustine Florida from Plymouth Meeting, it's adding two more hours if you go route 81 instead of 95. But it sounds like everyone is saying go 81 to Richmond VA instead even though it's a longer trip.
A quick check of Google Maps shows the difference from Harrisburg (per the OP) is only 20 minutes - NOT 2 hours. 12 hours 32 minutes for a 95 run that takes you through the mess of DC or 12 hours 52 minutes for the 81 run.

Plymouth Meeting is further east so the difference is 1 hour and 8 minutes. But taking 95 puts you on the Blue Route where it merges with 95, takes you through Wilmington, Baltimore, DC and all the associated tolls AND, if you have propane, forces you on the Key bridge instead of the tunnel which further lengthens that route.

Where are you getting your 2 hour difference?