Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Have you driven Hwy 191 the Flaming Gorge Scenic Byway?

Leaving Friday for a trip out west and thinking of taking the scenic byway 191 at Green River Wyoming through the flaming gorge into Utah to enjoy the sights of the gorge. My question is I will be traveling in a 40ft DP with a 24ft car trailer loaded with two street rods. Approx 65ft overall length. I'm a comfortable and experienced driver having spent a life time moving and driving cranes. I have never traveled this way before and would love some feedback and/or pics if anyone else has. How winding/curvy is the road and how steep are the grades? Will it be very problematic? Should I plan the full length of the byway or just clip a small piece of it! TIA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

Take the trip on google earth. You can "drive" it. I did this before we went out west. Hard to beat real advice, but it gives you an idea what to expect.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the advice. I've looked at it on satellite. I'm hoping to get some feedback from a fellow RVer that has experience driving the route.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC06 View Post
Leaving Friday for a trip out west and thinking of taking the scenic byway 191 at Green River Wyoming through the flaming gorge into Utah to enjoy the sights of the gorge. My question is I will be traveling in a 40ft DP with a 24ft car trailer loaded with two street rods. Approx 65ft overall length. I'm a comfortable and experienced driver having spent a life time moving and driving cranes. I have never traveled this way before and would love some feedback and/or pics if anyone else has. How winding/curvy is the road and how steep are the grades? Will it be very problematic? Should I plan the full length of the byway or just clip a small piece of it! TIA.
With your training prior to retirement - you will not find a Challenge on this route.

Hope you were able to Catch Dinosaur NM and the Green River there on this trip Also.

IMHO, Flaming Gorge is an Often Missed resource and should be fully enjoyed, the sites, the water, the overlooks, camp grounds, marinas, all make it just a fun place to visit.

Enjoy your time in the area,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We just came through there a week ago - heading south from Green River on 530 (west side of Flaming Gorge) was no problem. We camped at Lucerne Valley, beautiful campground, open and easy for big rigs. From there we drove around throughout the Flaming Gorge area in our Toad, there are some great side roads (such as Sheep Creek etc) that you wouldn't want to take the Class A on, but Hwy 44 itself is quite doable as Busskipper stated. It is also cool to stop by the Dam and take the tour - they will be letting water out the overflow tubes all spring - amazing to see. As previously mentioned, Flaming Gorge is an often overlooked wonder, and should not be missed. If one had more time, a rafting trip would be highly recommended as well. Hwy 191 south from Flaming Gorge toward Vernal has some grades as well, but are manageable, just take it slow. The campground at Steinaker State Park (sites 1, 3, and 7 are pull throughs with full hookups) is also a great place to stay just north of Vernal, easy access to this entire area including Dinosaur NP and Red Fleet State Park - also not to be missed. Hope this helps!

PS: Thanks Busskipper for all your great advice as always :-)
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I appreciate it guys! It's my wife that nervous lol. We are traveling with my aunt and so if we offload the streetrods to do any sightseeing we will have to take both as they are 1923 TBuckets and each only seat 2. That means my wife will have to drive too... I figured we can take all of 191 with the rig but am glad for the specific info on Steinaker State Park as we had our eye on that. Not exactly retired yet. Just left the construction business about 10 years ago and opened up a hotrod shop and build and work on specialty cars now. Headed to Carson City Nevada for a national event with the National Tbucket Alliance. Invested in the RV 3 years ago specifically for these types of trips and now we go every chance we get whether it's car related or not! Lol. Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
As others have stated, a beautiful destination. However, there is no way in or out that does not include looking down a very steep, deep drop-off. If passengers are squimish about such things, you might want to rethink the destination.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up. Don't have any pics by chance?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Take the trip on google earth. You can "drive" it. I did this before we went out west. Hard to beat real advice, but it gives you an idea what to expect.

I had already used the satellite view on maps and thought I had seen what google earth would offer but I was wrong! Your advice was excellent! I finally bit the bullet and downloaded the programming thinking if it gave me the same "satellite view" I would just uninstall... I had no idea that when you said "drive" it that I would actually be able to see the road view! Thanks again! Excellent advice!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #10

its got a few switch backs and keep them entertained while you go across the dam its a little narrow but a fine road.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #11

We took 191 out of Price up toward Flaming Gorge two years ago. It's my least favorite road of all. I've driven our 43 foot DP and toad all over North America, including two Alaska trips. And I simply hated highway 191. I'd never do it again. My wife was very uncomfortable for many of the miles on 191. Steep. Narrow. Too few guard rails. Lots of semi's hauling tanker doubles. Hated it.
kmghmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmghmg View Post
We took 191 out of Price up toward Flaming Gorge two years ago. It's my least favorite road of all. I've driven our 43 foot DP and toad all over North America, including two Alaska trips. And I simply hated highway 191. I'd never do it again. My wife was very uncomfortable for many of the miles on 191. Steep. Narrow. Too few guard rails. Lots of semi's hauling tanker doubles. Hated it.
One man's Dream can be another's Nightmare, why it is always good to get a variety of opinions, and then decide.

For me I actually enjoy the drives that many will never take twice, but the OP used to Drive Cranes - if you have ever driven a crane down the road you will have little problem with no Guard Rails and drop off's.

Here on the East Coast the issue is not no Guard Rails it's the Massive amount of TRAFFIC on roads that were not designed to handle.

IMHO, the OP will do fine, but that will be up to him, with the alternative of driving on the west side, where it is calmer with a lot less traffic.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip