Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Headed for South Dakota from Phoenix

Just about ready to escape the Phoenix oven and am looking for some advice on how to get into Rushmore, Deadwood etc. Our DP is 40' and 12'11" tall and would like to keep all the stuff on the roof intact. I saw on a travel ad that one short tunnel carved out of stone was 12'6" and need to avoid that one as well as others that low.

Any suggestions on how to get there from Phoenix without destroying a perfectly good coach?

Sure would like some advice if you can.

Thanks
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's been a couple of years since we've been there and I don't remember the specific roads, but we didn't have any issues going all over with our 40DP and toad.

The Black Hills is one of our favorite places. You'll love it. Just find a nice CG and use your toad to explore. Take some of the back roads in Custer State Park. We packed an evening "picnic" supper and sat on a hill side watching a heard of Bison graze and then just about sunset, the entire valley came alive with the sound of (what sounded like) hundreds of coyotes howling. Pretty magical.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

I assume that eventually you will be going north from Cheyenne onI-25 ... the easiest driving route to Rapid city is US-18 through Hot Springs to SD 79 ... that will bring you out at the east end of Rapid City.

There are lots of choices for RV resorts in the Black Hills ... I like to be centrally located when I am there so we have always stayed near Hill City.

If you stay on US highways you will not encounter low clearances that will destroy your coach. There are some tight corners and low clearance tunnels on the Needles highway.

The website for the Black Hills National Forest is
==> Black Hills National Forest - Home

I think you will find lots of helpful information there.

The last time we were in the Black Hills we rode bikes on the Rails to Trails bike paths, went for a hot air balloon ride, had a cowboy dinner, went to the evening lighting of Mt. Rushmore, drove the Needles highway, drove out into the middle of the Bison herd and watched and listened to them grazing.

Make sure that you make a day trip to the Badlands with a stop in Wall Drug. If you like old west photos there is a fantastic set of old time cowboy photos way in the back near the dinosaur

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
It's been a couple of years since we've been there and I don't remember the specific roads, but we didn't have any issues going all over with our 40DP and toad.

The Black Hills is one of our favorite places. You'll love it. Just find a nice CG and use your toad to explore. Take some of the back roads in Custer State Park. We packed an evening "picnic" supper and sat on a hill side watching a heard of Bison graze and then just about sunset, the entire valley came alive with the sound of (what sounded like) hundreds of coyotes howling. Pretty magical.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Rick
I trust that you also spent some time at Walls Drug Store. DH requires at least 5 - 6 hrs. We also liked the Mitchel Corn Palace in Mitchel, SD.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
we have been to SD many times , we stay at Elkhorn Ridge RV resort, Spearfish, then take our Toad and travel the area, Elkhorn is wonderful and a great place to have as a home base.
have fun it is a great area , so much to see, we stay 10 days and still can not see it all
Old 05-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #6

You need to avoid all the tunnel's because even if you got up to them, you can't turn around and go back. Besides you couldn't make some of the 180 degree turns. Be carefull . Get on the SD web page and download the Black Hills map.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

There's also a RV park one block off of the main drag in Custer called French Creek RV. Tight spaces but close to everything. I stay there in my Essex during Sturgis.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post
Just about ready to escape the Phoenix oven and am looking for some advice on how to get into Rushmore, Deadwood etc. Our DP is 40' and 12'11" tall and would like to keep all the stuff on the roof intact. I saw on a travel ad that one short tunnel carved out of stone was 12'6" and need to avoid that one as well as others that low.

Any suggestions on how to get there from Phoenix without destroying a perfectly good coach?

Sure would like some advice if you can.

Thanks
I think the tunnel you are referring to is on the Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway. It is not part of the normal highways you would be traveling on the way to a RV park.

Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

Stay away from ANY tunnels you are not familiar. Lots of stuff to do in BH, i.e. Custer State Park(wildlife loop), Mt Rush(both day and night-night show is cool), Deadwood/Keystone, Badlands NP, Wall Drugs. Don't waste your time on Crazy Horse. If you are in your toad or on a m/c, highly recommend 16A, but NOT in your rig. Beautiful scene drive with three single lane tunnels that frame MT Rush, but again, car or M/C only for this one. Lots of places to stay. We like the RC area because it's central to everything, but Deadwood area has lots also
RetiredFPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
The old saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure":

[QUOTE=RetiredFPD;1573691]..... Don't waste your time on Crazy Horse..../QUOTE]

We enjoyed Crazy Horse better the Mt Rushmore because it is a work in progress.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #11

I left Tucson...

...and I'm in the last leg of the same trip you're planning. Here's the route, which BTW was pretty nice, with road conditions and scenery:

Depart Tucson, first stop, Camp Verde, AZ then thru Tuba City to Bluff, UT, then to Moab, UT, then to Vernal, UT, then to Rawlins, WY and then to Gering, NE and the final stop will be in Hermosa, SD.

I've taken my time with a minimum of 1 week at each RV park and have had a very nice trip so far!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote