Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #1

Heading home from California

So, what is the easiest route out of California headed east as far as steep grades go? 8, 10, 15, 50, 80 ??? Don't have a specific destination and it does not matter where we exit the state
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #2

They all have there moments, climbs that is .
10 as far as Phoenix, from L.A. would be my choice , at least the climbing is early in the trip. I'd avoid, 40 through Flagstaff , high country. Same for 80 through Reno, after Reno it's pretty desolate . 15 has climbs between Vegas & St. George as well as the pull out of L.A. I've never driven 8 so I can't comment and never been east of Tucson on 10.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
50 and 80 are very steep climbs.

8, 10 and 15 are relatively level compared to them.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

Both I-8 and I-10 are going to require you to run the gen & ACs across the Mohave Desert and past Phoenix & Tucson. I-40 may be a cooler route.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

I think this route is one of the "easiest" route east.

From the LA area
East on I-10 to near Indio
Southeast on CA865 which turns into CA86 to El Centro
East on I-8 to Casa Grande
East on I-10

There will be a slight hill climb east of Yuma as well as at Texas canyon in AZ ... you will cross the continental divide in New Mexico at about 4200 feet.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

With no particular agenda, looks like the WEATHER would be your greatest concern. Steep climbs will only slow you down, which is no big deal, since you have the time. So HEAT, would be something to consider. Maybe wind, crosswinds/headwinds would effect your decisions. I found I40 to be very easy to drive.. I 80 did have a long haul outside Rene/Tahoe area, but just take your time.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies so far. Is 15 to 40 up into Flagstaff (7000ft) a long uphill grind?
I assume taking the 10 to Phoenix and then up to 40 via 17 and flagstaff is a real climb?
Ultimately headed to Indiana.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just take a route that you have not driven before. Where you are currently in CA should determine which route east is closest for you to take. You can travel across the top of the US, across the middle or across the lower states.
Traveling extra miles north or south in CA before heading east will consume fuel you're trying to save by avoiding mountains. No matter what, you have to cross the Continental Divide. When climbing a steep mountain, turn on your flashers and keep in the right lane like the truckers.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Is 15 to 40 up into Flagstaff (7000ft) a long uphill grind?
I assume taking the 10 to Phoenix and then up to 40 via 17 and flagstaff is a real climb?
Ultimately headed to Indiana.
I drove several times from California or Yuma, Az to eastern Canada and took various roads. Your choice above is good, and don't worry the climb on I17 is ok, since you climb on a long distance.