Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Heading South from Minnesota

Just curious how many people leave first of Jan from Minn to Either Az or Tx and how many days? I'm thinking 8 hrs or 400 miles per day.
This will be our first year going south for winter. I really don't think I can make it another winter although I like the snow, it's my bod that can't do it. Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #2

The MIdwest and Canada snowbirds come down to AZ in a dribble that starts in October and slowly pick up volume. There is a noticeable boost in December, and a rush after Christmas through early January.

We left in early September. Got to Tucson area last week.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The MIdwest and Canada snowbirds come down to AZ in a dribble that starts in October and slowly pick up volume. There is a noticeable boost in December, and a rush after Christmas through early January.

We left in early September. Got to Tucson area last week.
IC one of the lucky ones. We just got back from Fleet Farm with the pink stuff for NON Freezing pipes... You know what I mean. hopeing just after xmas or 1st of Jan to head out with the vintage MH
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
IC one of the lucky ones. We just got back from Fleet Farm with the pink stuff for NON Freezing pipes... You know what I mean. hopeing just after xmas or 1st of Jan to head out with the vintage MH
Thanks. We F/T now. Sold S&B in PA.
Grew up in Bloomington.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would love to go right after Christmas but youngest daughter is expecting in January and you can bet her Mother is not leaving Minnesota until after that blessed event.

Probably sometime in Feb.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

If you are going to s.Texas. I would say it is a 5 day drive .
Have driven several times from N. Ia. To FT. Worth ,just under
900 mi. From there to the Rio Grand. Valley is right at 550 miles.
Course it is all straight down I-35,course I am talking Missio,Harligen
area.We winter on South .padre island which is a little farther.
IMO. I Think you would need to call ahead. Fills up after the first of the year.
Good luck.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #7

We have been "snowbirding" from WI for about 15 years ... for most of those years we left after January 1st.

We generally had two routes to follow in case a winter storm was approaching. We have had to change our preferred route a couple of times ... and a couple of times an approaching storm caused us to hunker down in an RV park for a couple of days.

You never know when a winter storm will interrupt your travel ... one year I-8 between Yuma, AZ and San Diego, CA was closed due to a winter storm in March ... and it was closed on the very day that I wanted to travel on it.

So what is the point of this post. 1. Be prepared in case your travel route or timetable needs to be changed due to weather. 2. Many of the RV parks in the northern states will be closed so do some research on potential stopping points for the first couple of days. 3. Watch your LP supply, it disappears quickly in cold temperatures.

Always use your fresh water hose to fill your water tank and then stow the hose. Dump your holding tanks and stow your hose.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

We are looking at leaving MN the end of Jan. Would like to get a month long reservation in Mesa for Feb and another location for for March.
raf0405 is offline   Reply With Quote