Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you provide info about your rig and toad you may get better suggestions. Also since you are asking about things to use between the rig and toad it would help if people knew what type of two system you have.

itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #16

Thanks itdave - think you are right. We have a Winnebago Brave (2004) and a Honda CRV 2004 and use a Roadmaster Falcon towbar. Hope this helps!!!
Darlene

Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OK Roadmaster make a device that that goes just above the tow bar and stretches from the Motor Home to the toad. It cost about $427.00 I have hear good and bad things about this. Some people have them and say they still get rock dings in the toad body and windshield. I think the problem is the rocks are not being thrown by the motorhome but be trucks going the other way. You might want to look into some type of covers for the Toad
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I use a tow defender, have for a couple of years and am happy with it. Have not had problems with rocks and/or chips and dings so far. In wet weather it does minimize spray from the road, does not eliminate it, but is a great improvement. IMO worth the money, one of the keys is to minimize the distant between your rear bumper and hitch ball, as the tow defender mounts just forward of your hitch ball on the stinger.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Just get some bubble wrap and 100mph tape for the front of the toad, That works no question. Also check for the paper work on getting the shotgun back into the US, that was the only gun problem I had last year, I didn't have the return paper work I said very apologetically sorry and he said "JUST DON"T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN". Also if questioned at the boarder don't volunteer JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS and for gods sake if you get pissed DON'T. Smile and give the answer to the question. These guy's can rip your rig apart literally and then say have a good day. Have a fun safe trip, we did and watch for the frost heaves.

LEN
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene77 View Post
Thank you, have been reading up on that and found out today we can take our dog food with us across the border - got an email back from border inquiry today. Only 1 carton of cigarettes and not much alcohol - believe we are covered on the shotgun, still awaiting email from border on that issue.
When you get your answer on the shot gun I would love to know. I always have a gun and my permit but not sure about crossing into Canada. I really want to carry but do not want to do anything illegal.
Thanks
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintang View Post
When you get your answer on the shot gun I would love to know. I always have a gun and my permit but not sure about crossing into Canada. I really want to carry but do not want to do anything illegal.
Thanks
I do it all the time, the shotgun will cost you $25.00 to register. The registration and fee are good for 2 months.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #22

HI darlene 77, We made the Alaska trip in 2009 with our car, no RV. I see lots of good suggestions. and would agree with most, maybe not all the gold panning, but that is a matter of personal preference.

I would not worry about the guard between the RV and toad, debris is not a problem. We traveled the entire length of the Alcan hwy, all paved. If you get off on the gravel back roads, you will want to take your toad only. Dawson City, Yukon Territory should be on your list ( do not be confussed with Dawson Creek, Alberta). I would reccomend leaving my RV maybe parked around the "sign Forest" in Watson Lake, Yukon Territory, pack a bag for a couple days, and take your toad to Dawson City, I would stay at the Gold Rush motel. If I wanted to have bragging rights and go to Chicken Alaska and on accross thr "top of the world hiway" across to the Alcan. Then back to Watson lake and get the RV.Not a bad trip but there are other nicer places. The only reason I suggested leaving the RV, is if you decide to go from Dawson City towards Tok, AK, it is 230 miles of grave. We seen several broken springs and spring shackles.. This is the only gravel roads we encountered. Do not pass up a gas station. Many places gas is 200 miles apart.Don't leave town with out it. Watch for bears. Do not miss Whitter, Homer, or Seward. Bear watching at Stewart BC/Hyder Alaska. Denali Park. Museum of the north in Fairbanks, also good museum in Ankorage. Different ones told you about the flys and mosquitos, take heed. My wife called them "Moose-quiotos" One party mentioned gold panning. I am takin you back to Dawson City. just south or east of the Gold Rush Motel to Bonanza Road, just a small gravel road (Road from Watson Lake to Dawson City OK) and go see the dredge, there is allso a place to rent a pan and equip for $11.00 with instructions to pan and a guarnteed gold find. No need of purchasing and storing this equipment unless yu are really into it. Coming or going, I would certainly reccomend Jasper & Banff parks in the Canadian rockies, don't forget Glacier park in Montana. If you have any plans to travel on the Alaska Ferry, especially with an RV, it is expensive and requires reservations a couple weeks in advance. We traveled a total of 13,000 miles ( we live in southern Indiana), 51 days and $10,000. It is truely a trip of a life time. Take your time, see all that you want tosee, most of us do not make a second trip. Best wishes in your travel, the old trucker.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
While its true that the entire length of the ALCAN is paved, it's not paved like the roads in the lower 48. There is a good bit of chip seal type pavement.

Mix chip seal along with the constant construction activity and there will be plenty of loose gravel. Last trip, this past November, we hit patches of dirt road and patches of gravel all due to construction.

Out of the past 4 trip up and down the ALCAN, I've cracked 2 windshields, due to loose gravel.

The real key to the ALCAN is speed. Go slow where the road requires it and cross your fingers when the idiots doing 60 pass you as they will be throwing gravel in areas where loose gravel is present.

I tend to travel in the late fall and early spring. They may do a better job of maintenance in the summer months when the road is full of tourists.

Agree with previous poster about Jasper. We stayed there last fall, absolutely beautiful. The park is cut in to the forest. It was like the MH was there first and they planted trees all around it. Very peaceful.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote