Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #1

Heading to Baltimore

Hello all
This weekend I am traveling from CT to Baltimore.
I dont want to go throught NY so my plan is 84west to 81 south to 83 south to the 695west outerloop.
Iwill be staying at the S.P in Ellicott City.

this route is an hour longer then the straight shot through NY but I was thinking it would be alot less stress.

Comments, suggestions??
Thank you
Ed

2008 Chateau Sport
RVingFamilyof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

From Ct I would take I287 West across the Tappan Zee Bridge then grb the Garden State Parkway Sout to exit for NJTP and take that South across Delaware Mem Bridge and then I-95 into Baltimore.

To avoid tolls From the Tappan Zee Bridge I would take I 287 south to Rt 206 south to Rt 295 then To Delaware Memoruial Bridge then I-95 into Baltimore. Rt 206 does go through small towns and has traffic lights but is a nice ride and road is good.

THe way you want to go to I-81 is too far out of the way.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

My route was a map quest route my GPS wants to take 84 to 684 west chester express way to 87 then I95 to the GW bridge lower level back to 95 to the NJ turn pike. what are your thoughts?

2008 Chateau Sport
RVingFamilyof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we go to DC, we take 287 to the G/S/Parkway, to avoid the headaches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X3 for 287 and Tappan Zee.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
You can go that way however I don't like the NJTP with all the traffic. I would follow the GPS to I-87 and stay on it to I-287 and then go the way I said in previous post.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingFamilyof6 View Post
My route was a map quest route my GPS wants to take 84 to 684 west chester express way to 87 then I95 to the GW bridge lower level back to 95 to the NJ turn pike. what are your thoughts?
Maybe a 2 BIG problems there.
1 - If you are carrying propane, you cannot use the lower level of the GW bridge.
2 - Unless you are completely fearless driving the coach in megopolis traffic, avoid going through NYC.

A refugee

Matt
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

.02 on NYC RV

Ben there, done that, don't wanna do it again. And that was at 3am.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingFamilyof6 View Post
Hello all
This weekend I am traveling from CT to Baltimore.
I dont want to go throught NY so my plan is 84west to 81 south to 83 south to the 695west outerloop.
Iwill be staying at the S.P in Ellicott City.

this route is an hour longer then the straight shot through NY but I was thinking it would be alot less stress.

Comments, suggestions??
Thank you
Ed
Awesome.! I grew up in Maryland. Lived in Baltimore for a while. They have an awesome market, Lexington that has stuff from all over the world. It takes up at least a city block under a high rise.The sights, smell, ALL of it is an unforgettable experience, even to a child. I last saw it when 10, but have always wanted to return. Ive been to The City many times since, but never took the time to visit the market. I hear its just the same.

The "Constellation" is parked permanent like in the Harbour, if you like old boats. Theres also an awesome Railroad Museum, Ive been to many times, very big!Theres Fort McHenry, the sight of a serious beat down on the British, inspiring "The Star Spangled Banner" song.

Ive not been to the gigantic aquarium there, but hear its a sight to see.
Watch out where you go in the City, as some parts are quite bad. I wouldnt walk anywhere there at night without the company of others, preferably many, sadly.

However, there are some awesome places, old mansions, antebellum and such, lots of haunted palces. Just google. Have a great time in my home state. Marylanders are very friendly. I HOPE they still are, anyways! LOL!

Its not season for blue crabs, but ya might still be able to get a wonderfully messy and yummy table full! Im a tee totaler, but a draft with the crabs, or any of there sea fare is awesome, but the seafood is better! Dont MISS IT!

Sincerely, Sandy
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

OH I Forgot a biggy. "Roland Park" is an awesome park, and should be bursting in bloom right about now. Its in Baltimore.

Also, if you dont mind a short drive, "Longwood Gardens" is on rt.1 (google for certain)in Delaware, a stones throw from Baltimore. Harpers Ferry Virginia, same thing.
And it is like the 8th wonder of the world, JUST SO BEAUTIFUL and BIG!

Worth every mile on an RV, for sure!

Lurray Caverns isnt far from there, its like so cool its sick as the youngens say. Just drop dead gorgeous! Ya might wanta google a picture, and you WILL BE CONVINCED!
I could go on and on, cause I grew up there and like to think I saw it all
But, Ill spare you. Ya already know DC, and Annapolis are a stones throw. they are both wonderful destinations! Youd need a month, for sure! Hope this was helpful!

Sincerely, Sandy