Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

Heber City UT to Green River UT

We will be taking a trip out west in July and after leaving Grand Tetons are heading south to Heber City as a first stop on the way to Monument Valley. The route planned from Heber City is as follows:

From Heber City go 189 to I-15 to 6 at Spanish Fork.

From Spanish Fork take 6 to Green River.

After reading some other posts, a few say to avoid 6 due to safety concerns.

I will be traveling in a 38 ft MH with toad and have complete confidence in my driving. One encounters all kind of things RVing so if the road conditions are acceptable that is not an issue with me.

Can anyone provide information about the road grades and switchbacks along Hiway 6 (minimum to severe)?

As an optional route I could take Hiway 40 from Heber City to Duchesne and pick up Hiway 191 south and go pick up Hiway 6 from there.

Thanks in advance for any ideas to consider.
bootcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

With our 40' MH we've take 40 to Duchesne, Utah then 191 all the way down to Bluff, Utah picking up 163 to Monument Valley. No problems for us and very scenic, passing by many options to explore.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #3

6 is an excellent road. it is a major highway used by 100s of cars trucks and rv's daily without issue.
i has a couple of climbs but nothing hard and lots of passing lanes. just use your mirrors and move over when climbing as some of the trucks and cars get in a hurry.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
6 is an excellent road. it is a major highway used by 100s of cars trucks and rv's daily without issue.
i has a couple of climbs but nothing hard and lots of passing lanes. just use your mirrors and move over when climbing as some of the trucks and cars get in a hurry.
Thanks beaverfever.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #5

Well we decided to take option 2 by traveling 40 and picking up 191. I wanted to let everyone know that portion on 191 was not what I was led to believe. I do not recommend it for any motorhome pulling a toad. I agree with the following description of 191. I do not agree with twogypsies accessment.
This is in response to the question as to the best route from I-80 to Moab. The trip from Rock Springs to Flaming Gorge was a real nightmare. South on Route 191 is a series of switchbacks that were very harrowing. After arriving at Flaming Gorge we talked to a trucker that traveled 191 for many years. His advice was golden and to the point. His best advices was no matter how good a driver you are, no matter how big your engine is, or no matter how macho you might think you are, respect Route 191. Here is what he said. Disconnect the car from the Motorhome and both drive to Vernal, Utah then hook up and drive the nice portion of this road to Duchesne, UT. At Duchesne, disconnect from the Motorhome and drive on to Price, UT and then hookup again for the nice road to Moab. Between Duchesne and Price Route 191 goes from 6000 feet, up to a summit at 9113 feet. To get to the top of the mountain there are many switchbacks and 8% up grades. From the summit down to Price, Utah is a 24-mile long series of 8% - 9% switchbacks. There are 18-wheeler pulling two or three bucket trailers of rock. They crawl down the mountain at 5 MPH smoking their brakes all the way. This is not the road to be towing a car or truck behind a Motorhome. From Price to Moab on Route 191 is a pretty nice drive. So take some advice, if you can get to Moab some other way try to avoid Route 191."
Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

I like the website below for info concerning altitude and slope%. You can click and drag your route to try other highways.

https://www.flattestroute.com/?from=...mentMode=miles

Here is another great site. Be sure to turn on elevation display in the lower left corner. Then move cursor around the elevation display for distance, altitude, and slope%.

How far did I run? - Create running maps with On The Go Map
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #7

Thanks. That is a good site for planning. Hope more read this and benefit as well.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #8

Garmin

I would like to know if there is a Garmin out there that you can put the height and length of your unit so that it would come up and say that there is an overpass or bridge that you cant make. Also that would have a life long up date.
I know that there is a garmin that will give you trucker route and it also has a back up camera.

Jolene
jdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

I have Garmin Model RV 760 which allows you to enter your RV's profile (gross weight, width, height, overall length) for this purpose.
Using this info it will alert you of risk of grounding, lateral wind, narrow roads, steephills, tree overhangs.
There are many other settings to allow you to customize your trip plans.
I love mine
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #10

We did Flaming Gorge up through Rock Springs and on up to Tetons the end of May with a 37' fifth wheel and did not find 191 to be a road to avoid. Respect yes. Just like the 10% grade over Teton pass going into Idaho.