Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question HELP! best route? Cody Wy. to west entrance of Yellowstone NP

Hi Fellow RV'ers, We are in Cody Wy., and want to travel to the west entrance of Yellowstone NP. I see 2 ways to go but which is best with a 41' class A with a toad? I see route 14/16/20 going west to the east gate, that's the easy part! BUT... When we get to the east ent. should we take the south loop or the north loop to the west gate? DW did not like the narrow roads and steep cliffs coming up from the Tetons on Rt. 191 which took to get to Cody Wyoming last week.

If someone can advise us as to which loop would be the easiest to navigate to get to the west entrance of Yellowstone we will be forever grateful. Also any recommendations as to where to make reservations for a RV spot (without spending an arm and a leg) near the west entrance would be very helpful too!

I'm a 100% disabled Viet Nam vet., and I can sometimes get an ADA disabled spot in the Nat'l parks with 50 amp electric if you should know of any in or near the park please let me know.

We thank You in advance...
Tom & Kathy D
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
From Cody you will head for the East entrance to the park. Follow the park map from there North to Norris Road, make a left on Norris to the West side then left to the connection for the West entrance. It is the fastest way through the park. Going down the South end is longer. Remember Yellowstone is shaped like an hourglass/figure eight and all, except the Northeast quadrant, are suitable for your coach and toad.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Either works well. Nothing scary.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Either going south to the West Thumb and west past Old Faithful to Madison or north to Canyon and west to Norris the roads are mostly wide 2 lane with a berm. It depends on what you want to see, if anything. The north route goes past the Yellowstone River, Mud Volcano (churning hot springs and a few small geysers) Hayden Valley and bison herds, and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.(42 miles to Madison) The south route takes you along Yellowstone Lake, a few geyser basins, Old Faithful, the Paint Pots and other features. You will go over the continental divide a few times on the south route, but your elevation is so high already it's not like a mountain pass or even big dropoffs. (56 miles to Madison) Add 14 miles from Madison to West Yellowstone and 27 miles from East entrance to Fishing Bridge.

The only CG with hookups is Fishing Bridge and except for no shows it's probably been full every day since the May opening.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

If you are not heading anywhere in particular. We parked in Cody and used our car to get around. It was a little extra drive with our car to get to the park - but much easier to explore the area. Fishing Bridge is difficult to get into - so Cody might be your only choice to camp anyway. So - if you can't find a CG you will have to drive your coach back to Cody anyway.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

DO NOT go Hy #14/14A, use #16

#14A- Before getting to Lovell there is a 10% downgrade with 15/25 MPH curves with a 3,600 ft drop in 10 miles!

#14- Before getting to Greybull there is a 5-7% downgrade with 15/25 MPH curves with a 4,600 ft drop in 18 miles!

I have a photo of the warning sign at Burgess junction stating the above information, except I don't know how to get it into IRV2.com.

#16- Still a long climb but much more gradual up and down.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #7

The only Elect hookups in Y'stone NP is at Fishing Bridge (glorified parking lot camping).

About 3 miles north of W.Y'stone, MT is Bakers Hole NFS CG some with Elect. (No reservations, first come/first served, maybe you could get reservations though?)

Then there is Rainbow Point NFS CG with elect and they take some reservations. From W. Y'stone go 5 miles north then left (west) 3 miles to a cross road and right 2 miles to CG (direction signs all the way). On the shore of Hegben Lake.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Love that area. Enjoy!! As others have said. Go north, then west. You won't have any issues unless you miss your campground and need to turn around, ask me how I know!!

Been over the big horns through graybull/lovell on my bike. Avoid it in an RV. Does not look like fun!n
Turbo38sfi is offline   Reply With Quote