Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #1

Help! Florida to West Coast and more

This is going to seem like a lot of questions... We are planning our 1st really BIG trip this Spring. The idea is to winter in FL and then leave from the FL panhandle, go across the south to the West coast, north, and then back across to the East Coast. The prime goal to visit many of the National Parks including Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, to name a few.

First, we prefer warm weather (70's during the day) so; when (in the Spring) would be a good time to depart western FL and head west? Are there any suggested routes that take in the best Parks while traveling clockwise around the country? The hope is to follow the warming weather north to Montana and then back across to the east Coast during the summer.

Are there any resources that already have a suggested itinerary?

Thanks in advance...
Kokomo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kokomo36,
You have the right idea and the right route. My suggestion is to put high level plans in place as to what you want to see (not when). The Spring and Fall weather can get a bit nasty no matter where you are. It should not be difficult for you to find a CG anywhere you find yourself (except Monument Valley. The Indians have a monopoly there, get ready for them to get even). I'd leave Ft. Lauderdale in mid to late late March. Do not be on I-75 April 1, 2 or 3. Most all the snow birds winter leases end on March 31. They are on I-75 in mass the first couple days of April. Once you leave Ft. Lauderdale, follow the route to your next destination and watch the weather to see how long it should take you to get there. FYI, there is still a lot of snow in Idaho and Montana, in June. Much of Rocky Mountain National park doesn't really get going until late June. Remember altitude=cold. We were in Rocky Mountain National park this past August. We got snowed on! We were between 11K and 12K ft elevation.

If it were me, this is how I'd make the trip.

I can't provide any recommendations on the best National Parks. I've been to many of them and I like all of them equally. Each one is special in it's own way.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Most National Parks.

Driving distance: 14943.4 miles
Trip duration: 29 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes
Driving time: 239 hours, 10 minutes

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'd like to add to my earlier post that the only time I feel you'll need CG reservations way in advance are the major holidays (Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day) and if there are any local events (like Bike Week at Sturgis, SD).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom N's route is very comprehensive - it would cover almost all of the greatest sites in the US. However, I humbly submit that you not miss Monument Valley in Arizona. The scenery is spectacular; take an off-road tour with the Navajos. The view from Goulding's CG is one of the best we have had from a campsite!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote