Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #1

Help with route !!

Hi all
Not quite to sure where to post this but I will gamble on here
We are thinking about taking a trip South of the border this summer. Maybe a 10 to 12 day outing.
Problem is we are also newbies to nice vacation places for RV'n. Did not go out much with the TT but hope to do much bigger and better with the 5er.
I was wanting leave Edmonton Alberta Canada to see the California Redwoods going thru Oregon along the coast line. Have heard the road is narrow..no shoulders and there has been some washouts. I think my friends said it was the 101 they took.
They went to Arizona by car that route a couple of weeks ago. This has me a little worried that the highway isn't safe for 5ers??
If it is okay, any input as to where to stay would be greatly appreciated.
I would really like to take a nice scenic trip this year

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going South

This is a reply from a former Edmonton guy (25 years)

Go Highway # 16 west and head south via Kamloops, Hope and Stop in Chilliwack. We are thinking of going the Oregon Coast Highway this fall.
So - somebody from OR will ring the Bell and let you know how that road is right now? Read here on iRV2 many reports on that road. It's narrow, but doable. If you do not like it, you can cut over to I5 and head South

Wishing you a SAFE TRIP
TW

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We normally make a trip up that way every year or so. The road is narrow in places, but no real problem. There was a slideoff south of Big Sur this winter. (that's south of Monterry, Ca.) You will go through the Redwoods w/o going that far south. Haven't heard of anything in Oregon or Northern Ca. With that road, you just have to realize it's going to be slower than Freeway driving. Plenty of places to stay, we never make reservations, and always find a good place for the night, or nights if we like it. (58 Freeway is about 2 miles from our house, sometimes we flip a coin as we get close to the Freeway to even decide which way we are going for a trip!)
I do suggest NOT using hwy 199 or 299 to travel between 101 and I-5.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

Thank you for all your help.

I was wondering how far south a person has to travel to see the Redwoods
This is a big gamble for us this year as we know very little about the "new to us" 5er. Taking a chance going that far from home. But I really would like to see the Redwoods.

Thnx again
Jo
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Redwoods

You have to go to Northern California (Crescent City).
We have not driven that route, but it is on our TO-DO List
Enjoy the Drive and the Redwoods

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #6

US 101 (which you can actually pick up on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State) will take you all the way down the west coast of Washington, Oregon and into the redwoods of Northern California. The 101 continues south and cuts inland in a town called Leggett, CA. Staying on that route is an easy drive and takes you into the Napa Valley part of California
California state highway 1 is the route that heads south along the coast of California. The road north of San Francisco is a relatively easy drive. The 101 and the 1 meet just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. They split after the bridge and the 1 continues along the coast and is a bit narrow in points, but doable. This route takes you through Monterey and then into the Big Sur area, Hearst Castle, a neat town called Cambria and meets up with the 101 in San Luis Obispo. Continuing south takes you into Santa Barbara, Ventura and eventually LA. Then its a straight shot down the 5 to San Diego (my area) and the border. Hope this helps.
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Correction to earlier post about slide off at Big Sur. That is actually on Hwy 1, not 101. TW is correct, the first real Redwoods are just inside the CA border. After thinking about it, you had asked for suggestions for places to stay. The Jebadiah Smith Redwoods state park is up Hwy 199 a short distance off 101. Up to that point, 199 is a good road. The park has a lot of campsites, no hookups. Many of them are smaller, but we got a site right in the bend of the Smith River that was absolutely beautiful. That was with a 31 ft MH about 10 years ago. If you are planning ahead, you might be able to get reservations there. But that is one spot you will probably need reservations if you are traveling during the summer. A lot of school groups book the CA State parks. If you decide to do this, and are coming from the north, turn on the North Bank Road,not too far into Ca out of Oregon, rather than coming all the way to the 199. The North Bank road comes out on 199, turn left, and maybe a quarter of a mile and you are at the park entrance.
After Crescent City, you will go in and out of Redwood parks almost all the way to Ukiah. For sure, take the Ave of the Giants,(maybe 30 miles inland past Eureka) plan on spending several days there. It is the old highway, with a lot of places to pull out at some of the really great groves. If you are on the Ave of the Giants, you are there to sightsee, so take your time, if someone behind you is in a hurry, they can get back on the Freeway. You can get back on the 101 every 6-8 miles if you want to. If you come on through without turning around, and plan to go back north on I-5, north of Ukiah roughly 20 miles, take Hwy 20 east past Clearlake, it comes out on I-5 at Williams, and is not a bad road. There are not a lot of roads that crossover. We do it coming through the East Bay area on I-580, but 2 years ago had damage to the MH from bad roads. Otherwise, I suggest the road in Central Oregon that follows the Umquah river down, unless you are on 101 further north. If you do decide on the 580, and don't like traffic, do it very early Sunday morning. If we are going that route, we stage ourselves to make it then. (my sister-in-law was through the 580 a few weeks ago, and said the road surface was ok, I need to confirm with brother-in-law as we may go that way after our grandaughters get out of school.)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #8

My goodness you are all amazing !!
Thank you all so very much for the great time and detail you have put into my plea.
I am now looking at the map and cross referencing the route now :-)
Wow, that is a long trip. Wondering now if 10 to 12 days will be long enough.

I didn't have a clue on anything about this route but now things a starting to come together.

Thnx again I really appreciate all your support .
Hugs
Jo
Old 05-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We just came north on 101 through the redwoods in Mid March this year. We were in a 35 foot Class A and were towing a car. We were just fine. Sure there are some slow spots, but we weren't there to race through, so wasn't a problem. Just watch for signs, curves, etc. and you will be good.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #10

Whichever way you go, you may want to do some research on the border crossing tho. Some will tel you it is fine, but there is to much killings, hijacking and shootouts to subject your family too. May want to cross into Az and meander up to the Grand Canyon. My opinion only. Which ever you do, enjoy.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ancient Redwoods Resort RV Park, on the Avenue of the Giants is right in the Heart of the Redwoods. All of the major "attractions" are nearby. If you can avoid driving the RV thru San Francisco, I would do so. Going across Hwy 37 or the Richmond San Rafael Bridge are easier routes for large RV's.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #12

10 days is NOT enough. Heck, ten days will just about get you through Oregon if you want to take in any cites along the way.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
10 days is NOT enough. Heck, ten days will just about get you through Oregon if you want to take in any cites along the way.
Your not kidding, took us 40 days to get through Oregon. Can't wait to go back either. DW loved the coast line, reminded her a bit of her hometown in Iceland.