Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 04:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Must be a long slow ride in reverse.

That's what happens when I put the fingers in motion before the brain is in gear.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #16

Hometool gave you the best route. It may seem longer in terms of miles,(77), but it will be shorter in terms of time because of fewer slow downs for traffic. You can't put a price on your sanity and safety. The GW is scary in a car never mind a MH towing a car. If you get in the wrong lane or more likely, someone refuses to let you into the right lane you can find yourself lost in Manhattan city traffic.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #17

Smile

Thanks for all the kind words. Like the long route but not sure how I will do on the hills. We're can I cross the Hudson
with my RV
Dorisandbob3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #18
M2D

This is exactly the information we need for our future trips. I was going to ask a similar question today and was so pleased to find your question.

Now can you kind people add in a bit of information concerning a strategy for going from the Boston area to Florida in January? I have read what all I could find here about staying winterized till you reach warmer temperatures and looking well ahead at the weather when planning departure.

If you were making such a trip would you find a motel along the way for the first night or two? Are there motels that will allow you to park an F350 with a 34 foot fiver?

We have a NUWA 32.5 FKSGB with enclosed heated underbelly. Are there any campgrounds that might be open for us to use while heading south?

Should I ask these questions by starting my own thread?

We really appreciate your kindness here.

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Route wise, we start out in Central NY so I81 is the first interstate for us. We get off at Front Royal 66 in Va. then catch 17 towards Warrenton/Fredricksburg where we get I95. 17 is only two lanes in some spots with traffic lights but not a bad route.

When we used to have to leave in the bitter cold our approach was to leave it winterized but fill the fresh water last minute but do not use until getting far enough south. Had to keep the fresh water hose in the house until the last second. You can carry some extra jugs of RV antifreeze to flush the toilet. Most of the CGs in the northeast will close in October so we opted for truck stops, rest areas or Walmart to overnight and did the longest driving days the first couple to get as far south as possible. There has to be sustained freezing temps to freeze your lines so with the heat on you don't need to get too far south to use water. The big fresh tank while sloshing around is pretty safe. On the way back keep an eye on the weather to decide when an if you need to re-winterize.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Route wise, we start out in Central NY so I81 is the first interstate for us. We get off at Front Royal 66 in Va. then catch 17 towards Warrenton/Fredricksburg where we get I95. 17 is only two lanes in some spots with traffic lights but not a bad route.

When we used to have to leave in the bitter cold our approach was to leave it winterized but fill the fresh water last minute but do not use until getting far enough south. Had to keep the fresh water hose in the house until the last second. You can carry some extra jugs of RV antifreeze to flush the toilet. Most of the CGs in the northeast will close in October so we opted for truck stops, rest areas or Walmart to overnight and did the longest driving days the first couple to get as far south as possible. There has to be sustained freezing temps to freeze your lines so with the heat on you don't need to get too far south to use water. The big fresh tank while sloshing around is pretty safe. On the way back keep an eye on the weather to decide when an if you need to re-winterize.

Have you considered staying on I81 longer & turning south on I77? It's a pretty route and you miss the DC metro area craziness.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post

Should I ask these questions by starting my own thread?

M2D
That would be best.

Please be aware your original post above would be subject to edit so you would not have a duplicate post. It depends how your thread would be worded. If the thread were a copy paste of most of the information that could be cause to edit it.

I only mention it here so as not to be giving you advice which would not comply with the Community Rules.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Have you considered staying on I81 longer & turning south on I77? It's a pretty route and you miss the DC metro area craziness.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Went part of the 77 route going north a couple of years ago. It was pretty but hilly too. We completely miss DC because we get on I81 in central NY and stay on it to 66. We don't even bother with the Penn turnpike. There is some DC traffic around Fredricksburg but it is nothing like the beltway
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #23

if you use I84 you cross the Hudson at the Hamilton fish bridge no toll headed south
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #24

Thanks John and Diane
That is just what I was looking for. Not sure how my F350 will pull over the mountains. This sounds like a great group of campers. Are there any rally's or just get to gathers coming up. Looking forward to being a member of this group. Always have fun and may the wind always be
at your back
Dorisandbob3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometool View Post
if you use I84 you cross the Hudson at the Hamilton fish bridge no toll headed south
I have crossed that bridge hundreds of times over the years and never knew it's proper name was the Hamilton Fish Bridge. I always knew it as the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. Thanks for the new knowledge nugget hometool.

btw, wasn't Hamilton Fish the guy that always lost to Perry Mason?
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #26

ADA Hamilton Burger
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometool View Post
my dw and I feel the best way to go from boston fla is avoid 95 till south Carolina we take I90 to I84 to I81 to I77 to I26 to I95 going south the only toll is the mass pike it avoids ny city Baltimore and Washington Richmond it is a little further and some mountains. it was suggested buy AAA when I inquired about missing DC.
x2
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help