Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
High altitude travel

Headed out to the west soon and wondered if anyone has had any problems with aerosol cans, propane tanks, soda cans & etc. while topping major mountains in the Rockies (12,000 ft.)? Relatives had bulging and bursting soda cans during early trips up to their cabin at Brianhead in Utah (only 8,500 ft.). I've learned to let the air out of the Sleep Comfort bed, but I just recently thought about the small propane tank for the grill & cans of other "stuff".

Any stories/suggestions?

Thanks,
Gene

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The highest we have been with the MH was 11K @ Eisenhower Tunnel on I 70. The only thing that burst were potato chip bags. You will be very surprised with the lack of power on a non-trubo engine at those altitudes.

Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Propane cylinders are safe, they have pressure relief valves installed in them. Soda generally is not a problem, but watch out for those snack bags!

When we moved to Denver, my Wife shopped in town and then drove from Mile High City to our place that was at 9,500 ft. She had a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee. When she got to the top of the mountain, she had a brand new Jeep with grease all over the roof liner from the potato chip bag that exploded!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gene,
We've had this coach over Rocky Mountain National Park Road (>11K feet above sea level) two separate trips. The Cummins ISC was a bit sluggish at the highest altitudes. The sealed bags of snacks were very stretched. The Gkids thought this was really funny. It's amazing how they had a science lesson and didn't even know it. No other problems.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've never had any kind of high altitude related problem, other than having to let air out of our Sleep Comfort bed.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Red face

Our mustard and ketchup exploded when we opened the cap

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great comments-thanks all! I'll remove the chips/snacks or maybe pierce the bags with a pin before leaving? Were they plastic bottles Ron & Dee?

Sounds like we have the same unit Cousin Ed so at least I'll know it's nothing I can fix on the way up. In Utah I was "wheezing" at 8500 ft. while letting a snowmobile do all the work-can't imagine an engine having an easy time pulling 12 tons up.

Is your's a non turbo Gary? I always understood diesels weren't affected much by altitude.

Next question: How do pets (cats) react to such high altitudes. I'd think they would have ear problems. My vet didn't know...
Gene

currently no toad
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Were they plastic bottles Ron & Dee?
Gene,

Yes they were plastic with the flip up lids.

Pringle lids were concave but did not burst. Patatoe chip bags were puffed up but did not burst. No problem with soft drink cans or any other pressureized cans.

Our cats and dog did just fine, at least they didn't let us know if there were any problems.

My wife had trouble breathing in the higher altitudes.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gene,
Yes, my Cummins ISC is a turbo diesel. I don't know why the engine is sluggish over about 7K in altitude. It has done it since I purchased the coach. Anytime something strange happens when I'm outside my normal environment, I just wait until I return to the normal environment. Once I descended to below about 7K feet, the engine acted normally. I never take action unless the condition remains once I return to my normal environment.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Just remember to drink plenty of water when you visit here. We have lived at 5000 ft for 25 years and still get winded when we go to 9500 and up. Just do things slower and drink water. If you are fair skinned make sure you put on plenty of sun screen or by the end of the day you will find out that you have a sun burn. MHs and people wheeze up there. Also remember to use your transmission coming down the hills, whatever gear you shift down, to get up the hill is the same one you should use on the other side. Whenever you come down a hill you most likely will smell someones brakes.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again, good info! I'm hoping the weather stays the same for the next three weeks and it'll be a go once we arrive in Denver (to travel over I70). The weather channel says an average low of 30 and a record low of 12 at Loveland that time of year. I'm not interested if snow appears! Thanks again.
Gene

currently no toad
Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #12

Even turbocharged engines lose power at altitude - just not as much.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is YOU! Many people find that going to those altitudes straight from the flatlands makes them ill. Headaches, problems sleeping, etc. are common, if you don't acclimate at, say 6000'. Google "altitude sickness".

And roger on the 'tater chip bags!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote