Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #1

High bridges

Is there any high bridges to cross on us81 from Harrisburg pa to nashville tn?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ummm... I guess walking girders with no safety net or line makes me kind of immune to heights!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:15 AM   #3

High bridge ?? Not sure what you are asking. Do you want to take pictures or not want to cross a bridge ?

Russell.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
High bridge ?? Not sure what you are asking. Do you want to take pictures or not want to cross a bridge ?

Russell.
May be wanting to bungee jump
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some folks,,Myself included,, Suffer from Acrophobia.. now I have managed several high bridges... I have learned to cope with mine.. My mother never learned to cope with it... And many have a much stronger fear of heights.

So his question is serious and reasonable... Sadly I am unable to answer never having travled that road.

Do have a suggestion though...

Route your trip on Google Maps and then have them "Fly" the course Your computer is your friend.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Tunnels

I have a similar issue with tunnels. I will drive way out of the way to avoid them especially if I know there will be a lot of traffic. Car is not so bad but I'm terrified taking the rv thru a busy tunnel

I will try the fly the route on Google. Thanks
Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I don't mind high bridges unless the wind is blowing. I have to cross the one right at the Mississippi/Louisiana border quite often.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Drive regularly on I81 from Harrisburg to Florida. There are no high bridges on I81. Lots of beautiful scenery with mountains on either side. You should be fine.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #9

Me, too. My technique is to just look straight ahead and concentrate on the road, not the scenery. Almost like tunnel vision. The first time I drove over the Mackinac bridge, with it's see-through pavement surface, I breathed a sigh of relief. Then the thought came to me that, unless I wanted to drive around lake Michigan, I would have to come back across the bridge later that day .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Some folks,,Myself included,, Suffer from Acrophobia.. now I have managed several high bridges... I have learned to cope with mine.. My mother never learned to cope with it... And many have a much stronger fear of heights.

So his question is serious and reasonable... Sadly I am unable to answer never having travled that road.

Do have a suggestion though...

Route your trip on Google Maps and then have them "Fly" the course Your computer is your friend.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
on cruise, eyes closed, no problem
Old 04-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #11

High bridges

I guess I'd wonder what you mean by high bridge? There ARE some bridges on that route that are 100-200 feet high but many of them you don't really have a sense of being exposed to the height.

Or do you mean something really high like the Navaho bridge, Chesapeake bay bridge, or the golden gate etc? There is nothing like that.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Some folks,,Myself included,, Suffer from Acrophobia.. now I have managed several high bridges... I have learned to cope with mine...

You have my most sincere condolences. I just couldn't imagine how uncomfortable that must be.

Neither could I even imagine how sad I would be without enjoying just that thing that bothers you so much.

To me, there are few greater joys in life than converting recycled dinosaurs into air turbulence.

Funny how different each of us are from the other, yet we're still the 'same' isn't it ?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Sally has a similar difficulty... Not so much with the height of a bridge, but whether it's perched upon single, round pilings, i.e., the type that most flyovers I call them Interstate Left Turns consist of.

Granted, she's gotten a bit better with every trip. She will RIDE over one, but still won't DRIVE over one. I have to check every route to avoid that.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #14

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Death grip on steering wheel, until coming down and can breathe again.. Flat bridges are no bother, but high overpasses with curves I try to avoid. I try different relaxation exercises, but not much good. I reckon the brain is in freeze mode. I have found, that if I go over a particular bridge on a regular basis I can deal with it better. Example being the Hoover Dam bypass bridge. You folks that do not have this problem, you just do not understand the issues we that have the height problems. Its major, some of us are better than others, but hopefully it will all work out for everyone. Happy Traveling!!!

olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote