Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

Highway 101 North?

We will soon be traveling north from Central CA to Washington in a big rig (44 ft.) and pulling a jeep. Wondering if anyone can advise us on Highway 101N. Hear it is beautiful, but don't want to get in any tight spots.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't speak for California portion but you will be fine on Hwy 101 along the Oregon Coast. Plan on taking it easy and enjoy the scenery. There are some rough road spots and occasional tight shoulders but you'll be fine. Upside of traveling South to North is the co-pilot is on the land side; downside is you can't take advantage of all the pull-out view points.
Consider making reservations. State & private parks do get full. Enjoy your trip!

Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
I'm an Oregonian, and I've done this entire trip in different MHs over the years. The Redwoods near the Oregon border will be tough, as the road through the giant trees is mostly very narrow. You might want to check any official size restrictions or more info on that part (you might want to go around that section, and use your toad to check it out). Also the area just north of Florence is narrow and curvy but doable, especially since you will be traveling north so you'll be hugging the inside. (If you were going south, I would say no way, as the cliffs drop off straight down, the curves are many, the road is narrow, and any one in the passenger side would freak out, trust me this is true.) Not trying to exaggerate or scare you, believe me. Some of 101 is just slow, careful easy-does-it in a larger rig like yours, that's just the way it is, and anyone who says it is different has not done the whole thing.....

And then the stretch from Rockaway to Seaside is narrow and curvy, also doable, but slow in a big rig. Other than these couple of spots, the rest of Oregon 101 is clear sailing. It is a truly magnificent trip, absolutely worth the effort, but plan to take your time, because there will be some slow, curvy miles to deal with. But that's okay, most folks are not speeding on 101, most are enjoying the sights like you. Well, I didn't sugar-coat it, because I figure that wouldn't be of any help. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy our fantastic coastline. I'm pretty familiar with the Oregon coast, so feel free to inquire....

Happy trails.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We've made the trip several times in our 40DP w/toad and don't find it to be bad at all. Now Hwy 1 is a different story.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

The 101 is beautiful and not a problem for RVs. You do not want to travel the #1 along the coast between Morro Bay and Monteray!!!
Back to the thread: The 101 is pleasant. There are fewer large RV friendly fuel stops, so when you see one go ahead and stop and fill up, even if you think you can stretch it out. We've made the trip from LA to Port Angeles a few times.
Flying Flags RV in Buelton, Petaluma KOA outside of San Francisco, and Rest-A-While RV on the Olympia Pennisulla are all outstanding and memorable.
Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge is a bit of a challange (narrow lanes) but doable.
When you get to the Redwoods around Legget, find a campground and take the toad on the old redwood highway.
Enjoy and Happy Trails.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #6

a great road have done it many times in 40 footer with toad. last time just 4 weeks ago.
i would advise going north on 5 to williams and take highway 20 over to 101. this will miss all the bay area traffic and headaches.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

I have taken my 36' 5ver up to Oregon on 101, it's
a nice drive. I live in Santa Rosa that's about 70 miles
north of San Francisco.we just came back from San Luis
Obispo, drove up 101 to San Francisco, took 880 to
Oakland, then 580 to San Rafael and then back to 101.
from there 101 all the way up to Oregon. from Piercy
to Benbow is a little narrow. but trucks with 40 trailers
go through there all the time.there is a nice campground
at Benbow has full hook ups.
If you have a GPS it will route you around San Francisco.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #8

I'm not sure how far into Wa you're going but people here do the Olympic Peninsula 101 loop with all manner of RVs all the time. And eighteen wheelers of all sorts do as well. A few areas may be a little slower going but very doable. An awesome drive that is very worth while.

Others have wonderfully described the N. Cal. and Oregon portions, so just to add to it a little, I've driven parts in both those states as well and an incredibly beautiful drive it is.

As mentioned, you'll need to plan to travel a little slower here for safety reasons but I'd suggest planning to travel a lot slower just to stop as often as possible to take in as much as you can. And then you still won't have time to do it all. Hwy. 101 is an American travel gem. Enjoy.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have done the trip many many times. It is probably one of our preferred routes over I-5. Where do you plan on cutting over to the coast? Hwy 20 is probably your best bet. Depending on the time of year the traffic might be heavy. Take your time and use the turn outs to let others by.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am an Oregon native and have driven and towed RVs up and down the coast dozens of times. Trucks and even log trucks drive the entire length all the time so you can do it too. No problem. As others have said, this is a road that people sight see from. It has beautiful views. The beauty of driving north to south is that it is very easy to pull off at the various and many turnouts. When driving from south to north you have to be more careful about crossing the oncoming lane to get into the turnouts and the views while driving are not quite as spectacular because you see the oncoming lane of road. Don't worry about drop offs, etc. The speeds range from 35 to 55 and you just drive the road based on the sharpness of the turns, etc. This is one of the most spectacular drives in the entire US and is not to be missed. Have a great time!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going South from Olympia WA, what is the best way to get over to Hwy 101 to avoid traffic, bad roads, etc?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge is a bit of a challange (narrow lanes) but doable.
We did the trip in the last couple of months, starting just outside LA. We are now in Waldport OR. As previous posters have said, just take it easy. On 2 lane sections there are plenty of pull outs to let the line behind you pass. We avoided the Golden Gate bridge by taking the right fork at San Jose and going via Oakland and crossing on the Bay bridge.

If you are in the Monterey area try to stop at Moss Landing KOA. Tell John and Jaye we said Hi.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Going South from Olympia WA, what is the best way to get over to Hwy 101 to avoid traffic, bad roads, etc?
Go straight west of Olympia on the ocean beach highway (Hwy. 8?) toward Aberdeen. This route is a freeway that is seldom crowded, especially after you get a few miles outside of Olympia.

If you're going south from Olympia first, then you'll want to drive Hwy. 6 (or 8?) going west off of I-5 from Chehalis. This is a good road, scenic in a rural sense, but much slower. You'll pass through a number of quite small communities and the road is a bit curvey in places.

You won't wrong with either route. Enjoy and safe travels.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
The Astoria Megler bridge is a neat drive across the mouth of the Columbia River but you can have terrible crosswinds so I wouldn't recommend it with an RV. Therefore I would go to Portland and turn right and go to Astoria and then down 101. Astoria is worth some time with a neat maritime museum, the Astor Column, Fort Stevens and Battery Russell as well as some neat old houses. Then work your way down the coast.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote