Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Highway 190 across Louisiana, road condition?

Heading West from Florida to Southern California. I have read several reports about I-10 across Louisiana being in horrible condition. I have no desire to endure a bad ride in the least and at the most tear up the rig.
I am thinking of using Highway 190 all the way through Louisiana as the alternative.
Has anyone recently traveled that route? If so can you give me a good evaluation of the road condition. For example is it concrete or asphalt. Are there a lot of expansion joints if concrete and is it rough and are there many pot holes that you remember.
Thank You.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

I believe that I90 is in the upper end of the USA- like Montana etc, Maybe looking st I20?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

I have been on sections of 90 here and there in a car, not my motor home.
Many twists turns and stop lights and stop signs along the way. I think the sections of I-10 you are trying to avoid actually share itself with 90.
I would just run I-10. I have run worse roads, just slow down a bit.
My motor home runs smoother than my friends on I 10, maybe because
no tag on my 41 footer.
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

Now, for an actual answer to your question, I live on US-190 in western Louisiana, though I have not driven the part of it that is east of Opelousas (central part of the state) in the last year or two, so can't comment much on in the eastern part of the state. Most of US 190 is an asphalt 2 lane federal highway with wide paved shoulders, though about 15 miles of the section where it co-runs with US 171 is about 10 year old concrete, I have never had an expansion joint issue driving my motorhome on it though. The last 15 miles in Louisiana the pavement is in fair to poor condition, but once into Texas the road gets much better, though still mostly 2 lane, until you get to the Huntsville, TX area where the pa gets bad again for 10 or so miles, traffic volume is MUCH, MUCH lighter than I-10, however the 2 lane sections in Louisiana have a 55 mph speed limit, most of the 4 lane sections are 65 mph, and once in Texas 75 mph for both 2 and 4 lane. I would pick US 190 over US 90 in the southern part of the state based on shoulder width, condition, etc. If taking US 190 into Texas, you can shave a few miles off your trip by taking LA 26 from Elton to DeRidder, it has narrower shoulders though. There are few gas stations with easy access for diesel west of Opelousas, the ones that come to mind are in Longville (small community) about 20 miles south of DeRidder, on the left as you get into Longville across from the self car wash, on the west side of DeRidder, also on the left about 3 miles west of where 171 splits from 190, the next one is on the left near the caution light in Merryville LA just before getting to Texas. Once in texas the next good diesel stop that I can think of is the Indian reservation truck stop about 10 miles west of Woodville TX, this one is on the right.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the OP is referring to US Hwy 190 and not Interstate Highway I-90.

I live in the Baton Rouge area so I know both I-10 and 190 well. If you are going completely across Louisiana, I would take I-10/I-12 corridor. Hwy 190 makes many turns north and south going through different communities and is only a two lane highway in many places. That being said, many people will use 190 from Baton Rouge to Opelousas,LA where it intersects with I-49. That stretch is 4 lanes, in good shape, only goes through about 4 small communities,and you avoid the 20 mile bridge on I-10 that crosses the Atchafalaya River basin and Henderson Swamp. An accident or 18-wheeler breakdown on that bridge can tie up traffic for hours.
I-10 does have some bad areas worn down from all the heavy truck traffic and you want to avoid going through Baton Rouge between 4-6:30pm because of the evening traffic. The Lake Charles to Sulphur, LA area is another one to avoid at that time. There are plenty of petrochemical plants and oil refineries there that all change shifts during that time.

Hope this helps. ------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

If you take I-10 through Lake Charles, take the I-210 loop the bridge is not nearly as steep or narrow as the I-10 bridge (it dates from 1950, pre I-10 and is one of the steepest bridges on any interstate highway, if not the steepest). I-210 bypass only adds about 2-3 miles to your trip
Old 07-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Now, for an actual answer to your question, I live on US-190 in western Louisiana, though I have not driven the part of it that is east of Opelousas (central part of the state) in the last year or two, so can't comment much on in the eastern part of the state. Most of US 190 is an asphalt 2 lane federal highway with wide paved shoulders, though about 15 miles of the section where it co-runs with US 171 is about 10 year old concrete, I have never had an expansion joint issue driving my motorhome on it though. The last 15 miles in Louisiana the pavement is in fair to poor condition, but once into Texas the road gets much better, though still mostly 2 lane, until you get to the Huntsville, TX area where the pa gets bad again for 10 or so miles, traffic volume is MUCH, MUCH lighter than I-10, however the 2 lane sections in Louisiana have a 55 mph speed limit, most of the 4 lane sections are 65 mph, and once in Texas 75 mph for both 2 and 4 lane. I would pick US 190 over US 90 in the southern part of the state based on shoulder width, condition, etc. If taking US 190 into Texas, you can shave a few miles off your trip by taking LA 26 from Elton to DeRidder, it has narrower shoulders though. There are few gas stations with easy access for diesel west of Opelousas, the ones that come to mind are in Longville (small community) about 20 miles south of DeRidder, on the left as you get into Longville across from the self car wash, on the west side of DeRidder, also on the left about 3 miles west of where 171 splits from 190, the next one is on the left near the caution light in Merryville LA just before getting to Texas. Once in texas the next good diesel stop that I can think of is the Indian reservation truck stop about 10 miles west of Woodville TX, this one is on the right.
Hello and thank you for the full info! Fellow Louisianian (do we really call ourselves that?) coming home to Lafayette from Houston after major neck procedure and I need a smooth road! What would be the absolute smoothest ride from Houston to Lafayette? I don't care how long it takes! Thank you!
SouthernCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

From Houston... I-10 to Beaumont then pick up 12/190. We love Eunice!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:48 PM   #9

I replied by PM but essentially Houston to Beaumont is going to be a coin toss between I-10 and US90, both are going to have potential expansion joint issues, which can be made worse depending on your wheel base, TX 105 is likely smoother overall but a lot more miles out of the way.

When I was last on it TX12 had some road construction starting, not sure if they are done yet, I think they were about to widen the road near Vidor. About half of LA 12 between Ragley and the Texas state line has been repaved in the last couple of years, so it is better than it was, but there are still 5 or so miles of somewhat rough pavement west of DeQuincy. US 190 east of Ragley is mostly good, with some parts having been repaved in the last couple of years.

US190 from the Texas State line to DeRidder has been partly repaved in the last couple of years, but there is still a few miles of rough pavement, Also the first 15 or so miles of LA 26 east of DeRidder was repaved with smooth pavement last year, though that still leaves about 40 miles on that route to meet back up to US190 that is less than great.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, I remember that road.... used to beat me to death ! so much so, that I no longer go on it Hopefully some will give you a newer review !

Weigh your coach, see what the front axle weighs and get a load inflation table for your tires... then let the air out of your front tires down to what the tires will carry + 3-5 lbs...

Most recommended pressures from the mfg are to be able to support the fully loaded - Max gvwr) coach and 99/100 coaches are not at their gvwr.... will make as soft a ride on the equipment you have...

Also, get a thick firm cushion to help !

NOW, if we talk new front shocks (cuz that's what tames expansion joints )