Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Highway 191

Our first trip in our CC (2001 Intrigue "Garage find"!!) will be taking us north on 191 in Utah. There is a 1/2 mile stretch of 11% grade, south of Blanding (called Driveshaft Hill). Should we be concerned? Also any comments about routing from Monument Valley to Brice Canyon NP will be appreciated. Thanks
callen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen View Post
Our first trip in our CC (2001 Intrigue "Garage find"!!) will be taking us north on 191 in Utah. There is a 1/2 mile stretch of 11% grade, south of Blanding (called Driveshaft Hill). Should we be concerned? Also any comments about routing from Monument Valley to Brice Canyon NP will be appreciated. Thanks
I don't know where 191 is in Utah but if you are going from Monument Valley to Brice you have to go around Lake Powell. I would go to Page AZ and Rt. 89 to Brice Canyon. We took 89 the whole way from Flagstaff to Yellowstone. Nice road very scenic.
1999 CC Allure 36 DTSG #30317
USAF Retired
dhetrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

We drove from New Mexico to Utah's Provo on 191 and 191/6, as we headed North to work our way over to Oregon. And we've gone South on 191 from Moab a few times... Beautiful drive, and our 40' Allure with the ISL370(400) did find in both directions. We do have Jake, and that sure does help on the downward stretches of any mountain/valley grade...

Go slow, gear down both going up, and down. When going down, remember to Stab Your Brakes hard, and slow down to about 5mph below the speed you want to be at, then get off the brakes to allow them time to cool.

And as far as the word 'cool' any large grade climbs, especially in the hotter parts of the year, requires a good condition cooling system. So if not yet done, validate your coolant is still good. (I'm a fan of Peak Final Charge, and saw a 5-7 degree lower set of temperatures after changing over to Final Charge.) If the side radiator has not been cleaned recently, never hurts to start a trip with a cleaned radiator! (Many ways to do this. I've done both the Simple Green spray, let soak, wash off. And I've also had good results by spray AC Coil Cleaner, and rinsing. (I always rinse with Soft Water, to avoid Hard Water Scale build up as it dries.) But, others have had steam cleaning done too... Google different combinations of Side Radiator Cleaning, and lots of good info sharing and tips available!).

And the most important part of starting each days travel, is having a pre determined evening reward Adult Beverages planned to celebrate another great day of traveling in the Finest Coaches Ever Built (Admit, some bias on my part!).

Travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We driven between Bluff and Blanding a few times. I don't recall the hill you describe but found it using Google Earth near White Mesa. I don't think you'll find that to be a problem (going north or south). It's short and seems straight.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen View Post
I know my Memory is going but in all the times - Many - I've been on RT 191 I have never been impressed/Remembered a Long steep Grade that would give me cause for Concern.

Might be a couple short grades into a Valley or two but nothing to be Concerned about.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:35 PM   #6

If you're coming south on 191 there's an extremely short section of downhill of maybe 1/2 mile in length south of Blanding and just before Bluff. You probably won't even realize you're doing 11%! Then a little farther at the intersection of 191/163 you have to make a sharp left turn on 191 to continue southward on 191 if that's where you want to continue. We've driven the whole route many times both directions with our 40' MH and it's of no concern.

If you're heading to Monument Valley then just get on 163 to Mexican Hat to Monument Valley. From Monument Valley to Bryce the best way would be 163 to Kayenta, AZ to 160 west. Before Tuba City, AZ pick up 98 taking you into Page, AZ. At Page continue on 89 to Kanab, UT and north on 89 to Hwy 12. Then Hwy 12 east to Bryce.

It's all an easy drive. Enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #7

We drove it both ways in February and did hit some light snow. Agree with poster above, a short section might hit 11% but never bothered us. Pulling a toad.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_102929.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	241548
Old 04-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have driven that route every year for the last 14 years. I remember reading about "Driveshaft Hill" before I did my first trip. Never encountered anything I though would qualify for a name. The hill is about 14 miles south of Blanding and is no problem. There is another short hill just north of Bluff. There is a 10% grade on US 163 at Mexican Hat on the way to Monument Valley.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #9

11%

By any chance are you coming into 191 from the west on 95? There is a massive hill like you describe? It meets your description?
stonegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
191 was a “white knuckle” road for wife when we drove it in our 40’ class A towing.... Between the switchbacks and the steep grades, it required my total attention.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
191 was a “white knuckle” road for wife when we drove it in our 40’ class A towing.... Between the switchbacks and the steep grades, it required my total attention.....
Since the OP was asking for information around Blanding, UT and US191 runs from Mexico to Canada, Exactly where on US191 were you?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

The Arizona part? Yes, that's a doozy!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote