Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Highway 2 Montana

Has anyone travelled hiway 2 thu the Rockies in Montana. I'll be driving a 34' gas with a ford focus toad. We are leaving Waterton National Park and would like to circle down to Polson Mo. Can We cross and go thru Kalispell or should we head south to Hellena and back north?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I think your rig would do fine . . . and it is a beautiful trip!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
HWY. 2,Montana

It is a good roadbed that has long stretches thru prairie and endless farm land.We travelled in a 40' motorhome in Aug. and met only light traffic.Crossing over into North Dakota is different matter,as the oil/gas rush is underway.
nena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

We traveled 2 from Montana to Wisconsin. Good roads lots of oil well being drilled. Interesting. Long stretches of open road.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I read the OP's message . . . the route in question is westbound Highway 2 from the east side of Glacier National Park, along the south perimeter of the park to Columbia Falls, then south to Polson (MT, not MO . . . ).

Again, I think rlott2k will be fine in his 34' gasser and a Ford Focus toad.

Again, beautiful trip (no long stretches of prairie . . . no prairie at all, in fact, and no oil wells).
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Oops. Sorry. Did part of that too. It is much more scenic. You should have no problems with your rv being able to make it.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have done this road for 4 summers now in my 43' with swd crew cab chevy. No problems at all and a beautiful drive.

Be sure to drop the coach and drive the going to the sun road! It is beautiful! Some of the best scenery and hikes are along this road
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

Route 2 in Montanaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Oops. Sorry. Did part of that too. It is much more scenic. You should have no problems with your rv being able to make it.
I have been on Rt 2 several times from Browning to Kalispell. No problem going over Marias Pass. You want to spend some time in W. Glacier area. Highway to the Sun, Hungry Horse Dam and Sticky buns at store in Polebridge. Good luck and be safe.
sportscoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Thanks all ! And yes it is MT (Montana not MO Missouri). Just the short section heading west I was worried about, I've heard some stories about 1 of the hiways near there that was in perpetual rebuild and not a fun drive.
We're leaving Delta BC along Hiway 3 BC through the Kootenays to Waterton Nation Park, Glacier Park, Yellowstone Park, Grand Teton Park , then meander back thru Cour D'alene and eastern Washington to Seattle then home. Took 5 hours of plotting and reservation time and we still have a few spots to book.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have done this road for 4 summers now in my 43' with swd crew cab chevy. No problems at all and a beautiful drive.

Be sure to drop the coach and drive the going to the sun road! It is beautiful! Some of the best scenery and hikes are along this road

We'll do that for sure!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #11

It is beautiful!
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #12

riott2k

We did part of your trip in reverse last summer. US Hwy 89 from Browning, MT to St. Mary is a bit narrow and full of curves. Not much sightseeing for the driver on this stretch. From my map, it looks like the Hwy 49 cutoff down to US2 has even more curves.
We stayed at the St. Mary KOA. It is a large park with spectac views and nice folks. They held a repair part for our arrival. They also arranged a Red Bus tour for us from the campground to the crest of Going-to-the-Sun. We enjoyed it very much.

The west side of Glacier is beautiful and well worth the time to explore by toad and/or foot.

After a few days at St. Mary, we continued north on US89 which has become almost straight and level. At Hwy17 we turned northwest toward Waterton. Watch for open grazing along this stretch. Hwy 17 becomes AB6 south of Waterton. There is one long uphill grade southbound on AB6 south of Waterton townsite turnoff but it should be quite doable.
Waterton has a pleasant campground in town but the streets are narrow. Directions are sign posted.

From Waterton, we traveled north through Pincher Creek and then stayed in Sparwood, BC at the town-owned campsite before heading north to Kootenay NP.

By the way, if you need a place to stay near Spokane, the campground at Deer Lake, WA is very nice. We stayed there, too!

Be safe and have Fun.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #13

We traveled in the country just west of West Glacier. Went up to a little town of Polebridge. They are off the grid but run on Generators & Solar. They have an old store there & their baked goods are awesome.

We went past the store back into the park and on to Bowman lake. Saw lots of wildlife including two Black bears. Past Polebridge it is all one lane dirt lanes. Very doable in a car.

Russell
Old 12-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #14

riott2k

Correction, where I mentioned "west side of Glacier is beautiful...", I meant to say east side. Sorry 'bout that.

I am sure the west side is beautiful too!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote