Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 AM   #1

Highway 49 from Columbia to Placerville

I'm planning a trip in April. I'm going to the gold country on Hwy 49 in Calif. I was looking at the the map and was thinking about going from Columbia to Placerville. The only problem from what I see is Mokeumne Hill it looks to have a few turns. I pull a 30ft Trailer. Is this going to be a problem or is it ok if I just take that part slow. It looks like if I go back to 99 its 80 miles out of my way. Any Ideas thanks.
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

Have travelled 49 extensively on 2 wheels in the past. Been awhile, but as I recall, there are a few wicked turns on that section of 49 where vehicles over a certain length are not recommended. Best bet is to call the CA Highway Patrol and see if they can provide any help or refer you to a local agency for specific info on that stretch. You should find the CHP to be vey helpful on these types of questions.

Please let us know what you find out....thanks!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
That part of 49 is wicked. I drove our 27' RV that way once and it was not to bad, but I don't think I would take a larger rig towing a trailer or car.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I pulled my 27 foot trailer over that route with no problems.
Gezergonwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Live near Placerville and have a 38 ft MH W/toad. Have traveled that route many times w/o problem. yes narrow and twisty in places but slow down and you'll do fine.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We regularly travel 49 in a 37 foot Class A without any problem at all. Mokeumne Hill is a non issue.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Northbound from Columbia to "Hangtown'/Placerville is a beautiful drive but it will take a bout 2 hours, with average speed 40 mph. They are about 60 miles apart as the crow flies but you ain't flying and the road ain't straight. There is much to see and do along the way. The road is curvy most of the way but no switch backs. Moke Hill is a steep downgrade but manageable in any length/type rv. The time to drive would be very close (out to 99 or stay on 49) with 49 being more fun. I would and have driven 49. in a 30ft classA with toad, many times. I live in Jackson Ca.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the reply's looks like i'm going up hwy 49 I have all day so I will take it slow.
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

Let us all know how it goes!