Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
MrG

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
In late January we are leaving FL to go to TX. Thought it would be a nice drive on 98 to Mobile and then catch I-10. We have about 6 days to waste and could use some input on route and things to see for 2 adults. John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
MrG

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
In late January we are leaving FL to go to TX. Thought it would be a nice drive on 98 to Mobile and then catch I-10. We have about 6 days to waste and could use some input on route and things to see for 2 adults. John

Old 12-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi John,
This is a good choice, as you have the time to enjoy the route. Not knowing where you will jump on 98 I'll mention things from Tampa going North.
1. Pinellas County (West Of Tampa) From Tarpon Springs South to Fort De Soto. There are many county parks that have elevated walk ways, bike paths, kayak/canoe trails.

2. Homosassa/Crystal River area - Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge, Homosassa Springs State Park, Outstanding sea food restaurants. North of Crystal River (about 15 miles) there is the Florida Canal (never finished). One can walk or bike on a paved path to the Gulf.

3. Fort Walton Beach, Heritage Park & Culture Center. Artifiacts and history from 12,000 years ago through to the Civil War.

4. Pensacola - National Museum of Navel Aviation. It is located at the Pensacola Naval Air Station. There is a little known CG about 25 miles North of Pensacola. It is Farmers' Opry House & Campground, Chumuckla, Florida 850-994-6000. I recommend this CG as a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience an out of the way hidden treasure. There is 30 AMP and water hookups, no sewer. If you go, go on the weekend (Friday or Saturday). For a few dollars, you get dinner and a really good show consisting of country, blue grass and gospel singing and playing. It is a nice place to base your Pensacola touring from.

This is a very high level of what is in store for you along RT 98. If you have only 6 days, you'll be back. There is too much to enjoy.

safe travels,
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #4

John, One of our favorite campgrounds is on 98 just east of Carrabelle,FL. Ho Hum RV park is right on the water and it has terrific hosts. It is a real nice place to just sit back and relax. Enjoy your trip on 98.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #5

Mr G
I've used that route a couple of times since I-10 is sooo boring from Pensacola to I-75. From Perry the 1st part of that trip is pretty boring also. Just pine trees but when you get to Carabelle it gets more interesting. Before you get to Port St. Joe drop down to 30A I think it is and stay at St. Joseph SP., right on the beach. From there on just stay on 98 even thru Panama City Beach, that time of year won't be much traffic. Go on past Phillips Inlet and take 30A again, runs along the coast, really nice drive thru Seagrove and Grayton Beaches, Seaside and then just before you get back to 98 is Topsail Hill SP. Treat yourself if you can get a site. Again take the beach road on the east side of Destin and you'll have to get back on 98 at Henderson Beach SP. Really nice area, lots to see & do even in Jan. On West thru Ft. Walton Beach, not really much except coastal pines. After crossing the Pensacola Bay bridge, get off of 98 again on Fl 292 to Perdido Key, Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. Stay a day or so at Gulf SP. Excellent golf and the outlet mall in Foley, 5mi., good restaurants throughout the area. When leaving take a left on 98 again in Foley and follow it on to Fairhope and Daphne where you meet up w/I-10. After going thru Mobile at Theodore take US90W toward Pascagoula, Biloxi, Gulfport, Bay St. Louis, pretty humbling even after 2+yrs since Katrina. Then when you get to Louisiana, again take US90 again on toward Lafayette. The food improves greatly when you cross the state line and gets better all the way, Lafayette has better restaurants than New Orleans. You're not gonna eat like that in Chicago.
Hope I've helped you waste those 6 days and isn't it nice to be able to waste them.
Merry Christmas
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
All of the above is right on. Just before you roll in to Mobile a nice stop is the USS Alabama.

lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote