Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Rolling Stoners

Highways for Newbie to Avoid

Just took delivery of my DP and having a 3 week trip planned. Read in FMCA magazine about hwy 1 in CA and the writer does not recommend the road for rigs over 32 to 35 feet or towing a car. There are some grades and lots of curving road.

Our mh is 37 overall and we are pulling a toad. We have an exhaust brake but I have a total of about 4 hrs experience with this rig. Previous experience is about 40 hours in a 31 foot gas class c pulling a toad. No time anywhere with grades requiring notice posted on the road.

Should I avoid these roads until later in the trip when I've had more time and what about the size limit suggested on highway 1?

stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #2

Hwy 1 between Cambria and Carmel is one of the most beautiful drives in the world, BUT please respect the recommendation of the writer of the FMCA article. You MAY be able to negotiate the highway without incident, BUT with your limited experience you should not attempt it.
Much better to park your MH and drive the highway in your toad!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Hwy 1 between Cambria and Carmel is one of the most beautiful drives in the world, BUT please respect the recommendation of the writer of the FMCA article. You MAY be able to negotiate the highway without incident, BUT with your limited experience you should not attempt it.
Much better to park your MH and drive the highway in your toad!
X2 that is what the towed vehicle is for.

Get on a big parking lot and use some cardboard boxes for cones and practice with your RV.
Get comfortable driving your RV!! It amazing how much more relaxing the drives will be when you do.
2 years ago I pickup the CDL manual for the local DMV office, went and bought half a dozen cardboard boxes, and set up the parallel parking test and the ally dock test to get me CDL.
I did the practicing in my 31 Foot "RV" and then a month later I took my CDL licence test in it. (long story)
I needed mine for my career change. I now drive a school bus Full time (Which is about 700 Hours a year here)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #4

Great idea Mekanic! So they allow the use of the MH to get the CDL? I like that idea.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I drove that a few years back with a crew cab dually pickup towing a 24' enclosed race car trailer. After a few hours we decided it was NOT a good choice and headed inland for the interstate. We absolutely HATE the interstate but it was the right decision.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lazy Days RV has produced seven very good RV Driver Confidence training video's. You can watch them here RV Driver Confidence Course 1: Adjusting Your RV Mirrors - betterRVing! Experience better RVing.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Rolling Stoners

I'm confident driving the MH but have not driven anywhere that might be considered challenging. The article raised some concern so thought I'd ask. Glad I did and will adjust our route to avoid it this time.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Caltrans maintains an excellent website that provides road restrictions and limitations throughout the state. You can find it here: Caltrans Legal Truck Access
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

I always believe in erring on the side of safety. There will always be time for the more "difficult" roads. Once you have gained experience and confidence with your new MH go for it. The other suggestions of going to sites for driving tips is well worth your time. Good luck and Happy Trails!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #10

With a new motorhome you might want to purchase this. We use it all the time. It will give you a heads up on the road ahead.

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Great idea Mekanic! So they allow the use of the MH to get the CDL? I like that idea.
Mine was allowed because it had a heavy enough GVW (32,700lbs) and it had air brakes so I go the air brake endorsement as well. I did have to put a fire exh and set of flares in it so i could pass the pre trip inspection of the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
With a new motorhome you might want to purchase this. We use it all the time. It will give you a heads up on the road ahead.

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers
I like that mountain guide. I got mine.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #12

I drove the hwy 1 from South to North a few year ago in a 36'. Pulling a toad. After 20 mile or so I decided to move East to 101.

It really wasn't the fact that I couldn't do it. It was just one turn after another and I was unable to enjoy the scenery.

It is a beautiful drive in your toad.

Russell
Old 05-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
Rolling Stoners

Hwy 101

How is 101?
Old 05-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #14

101 was great up thru the redwoods actually parked the RV at a roadside restaurant and took the toad up a couple miles and drove thru the Chandlier (spelling) redwood tree.

Russell

Tags