Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #1

Horseshoe Bend Colorado River

When you turn off of Highway 89 to go see Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River near Page, AZ, is there room to turn around a 42' motorhome, towing, to get back to Highway 89 without unhooking. Google Earth shows a parking area that is way too small. I thought there might be another one. Anyone know?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #2

This is the one I am talking about

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

I have been in that parking lot twice with my toad. I doubt if you can turn a 42' around in there unless you got there when there were no other vehicles in there ... and I doubt if you could find that ... even then I think it would be really tight.

I would suggest that you park your motorhome in Page or at the Walmart about a mile north on the west side of 89 and then drive your toad back there ... it is about 1/2 mile walk to the edge of the overlook ... but it is really worth it ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

I live in Page.
Park at Wally World and unhook for a couple of hours (please don't abuse it, I've seen awnings, jacks and picnic tables out in the parking lot) and drive south about a mile. There is a road closed sign just past Wally World but go right past it to the small lot on the right that you saw on GE. It's a half mile walk to the edge of the canyon. BE CAREFUL! Every year someone takes a header off the top by getting too close to the edge. First stop is 800+ feet down.
If you are driving up from the south to get to Page MAKE SURE YOU TAKE Hiway 89T at the GAP. The Gap is past the turnoff (right turn only) that goes to TUBA City. I think it is 17 miles past it. The Gap is just a small gas station on the right side of 89. Make right up the hill on 89T. Normal 89 is closed to Page further north at the turnoff to North Rim and Kanab. The road to North Rim and Kanab is open. Just not to Page.
When you get to Page on 89T the first signal you get to in 40 miles will be 98. Turn left there, go to end (3 miles) turn right and Wally World will be 1/4 mile on your left.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

Thanks for all the great info. We will be approaching from the north and will respectfully use Wally World to unhook and drive in.

Don
Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
I live in Page.
Park at Wally World and unhook for a couple of hours (please don't abuse it, I've seen awnings, jacks and picnic tables out in the parking lot) and drive south about a mile. There is a road closed sign just past Wally World but go right past it to the small lot on the right that you saw on GE. It's a half mile walk to the edge of the canyon. BE CAREFUL! Every year someone takes a header off the top by getting too close to the edge. First stop is 800+ feet down.
If you are driving up from the south to get to Page MAKE SURE YOU TAKE Hiway 89T at the GAP. The Gap is past the turnoff (right turn only) that goes to TUBA City. I think it is 17 miles past it. The Gap is just a small gas station on the right side of 89. Make right up the hill on 89T. Normal 89 is closed to Page further north at the turnoff to North Rim and Kanab. The road to North Rim and Kanab is open. Just not to Page.
When you get to Page on 89T the first signal you get to in 40 miles will be 98. Turn left there, go to end (3 miles) turn right and Wally World will be 1/4 mile on your left.
Tried to follow these directions on a map and can't. Where is this 89T? If we are travelling south on 89 through Page coming from Kanab is 89 closed south of Page?

Don
Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #7

Yes just south of Wally World where 98 comes in from the left, 89 is closed to "Through Traffic" but not down to the Horseshoe bend lot. The road collapsed 18 miles south of Page last year and hasn't been fixed yet.
Don't confuse 89 with 98. 98 runs east from 89 just south of Wally World.

Going south on 89 after you pass Wally World (@ 1/4 mile) (Wally World is the LAST building on the right side in Page going south bound on 89 from the dam) you turn left at 98 (big sign there saying road is closed further south), when you get to the next traffic signal (@3 miles) you are at "Copper Mine Road (left and right). Turn right and it is now 89T (89 Temp) south bound and it goes about 43 miles south through the Indian Reservation to "The Gap" where it connects with 89 (normal) and goes left or south to Flagstaff. It used to be a dirt road through the reservation but it has been paved. Your map may not show it as it is only a year paved. "The Gap", yes that is what it is called, is only a gas station and a couple of buildings on the side of 89 (normal) about 17 miles north of the turn off to Tuba City from 89 (normal).
It's a good road and lots of MHs of all sizes (and 18 wheelers) use it for Flagstaff and Phoenix>
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

Thanks for the heads up Cliffy.

Don
Old 07-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #9

89T south of Page is a newly completed highway for the regular 89 detour. There are plenty of signs directing you. Here's some information on it:

http://www.azdot.gov/media/News/news-release/2013/10/15/newly-completed-us-89-bypass-fully-open-with-no-restrictions
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #10

Great map twogypsies. Now it is clear in my feeble mind.

Don

Tags
colorado