Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it is the wave of the future. The Massachusetts Turnpike is eliminating all toll booths by the end of 2016. It is designed to encourage EZ Pass use, and will use photos of license plates to bill non-users, who will be charged an extra fee. The system is intended to eliminate the usual horrendous back up at the booths during heavy use. Which, by the way, now can mean a 10-12 mile crawl on a holiday weekend.
Is there a better solution? Probably/maybe. What happens to all the toll takers - that is another question and another story.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
I guess it is the wave of the future. The Massachusetts Turnpike is eliminating all toll booths by the end of 2016. It is designed to encourage EZ Pass use, and will use photos of license plates to bill non-users, who will be charged an extra fee. The system is intended to eliminate the usual horrendous back up at the booths during heavy use. Which, by the way, now can mean a 10-12 mile crawl on a holiday weekend.
Is there a better solution? Probably/maybe. What happens to all the toll takers - that is another question and another story.
That's good to hear. Some of those toll booths are really small to me when driving my coach. My wife usually has to tell me to open my eyes once we are through them!

Massachusetts is the only state we had trouble with our NY issued EZ Pass. They sent a notice of violation to the house. I protested the violation and the penalty by sending them my EZPass documents. They responded by saying they would charge the account my tolls + a handling fee for processing the appeal

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
The Fed's have required all toll roads be able to read all passes. I think this was supposed to happen this year, but you know how this sort of thing goes. I believe Florida Sun Pass system went to EZ Pass compatible just recently.
Well shucky darn, I was hoping Florida did indeed go to EZ Pass. But it looks like as of November 2015 Florida still hasn't reached an agreement with the Northeast EZ Pass.
Quote:
Florida's Turnpike officials say Florida is ready to accept E-Z Pass, but the E-Z Pass states in the Northeast and Midwest aren't ready to accept SunPass.

Congress has set a deadline of October 2016 for all toll systems to be compatible. Florida is compatible with Georgia and North Carolina. And agreements are soon coming between Florida, South Carolina and Alabama, and then Texas, Louisiana, Kansas and Oklahoma.
SunPass, E-Z Pass not ready to accept each other's transponders yet. - Sun Sentinel
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #18

My wife and I are heading west (from Alabama)in out RV this coming April I thank I will avoid Houston.

Here is my rule of traffic in Houston avoid the hole city.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post
My wife and I are heading west (from Alabama)in out RV this coming April I thank I will avoid Houston.

That should be an interesting trip.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #20

Quote:

The problem is that I-10 goes right on through Houston. Can't think of a way to go around it without going WAY around it. Like up to Dallas around it. And Dallas won't be much better, traffic-wise.

If you stay on I-10 and don't go around any of the loops or belts around Houston, for the most part you will be OK, as long as it isn't rush hour during weekdays.

Weekends are almost always no problem (unless an accident, or road maintenance is going on).

Before I leave for work every morning, I check my cell phone's maps program, and I have TRAFFIC turned on all the time. I can get to work 3 or 4 different ways, and depending on how much red line I see, I choose my path trying to stay on as much green as possible.

I do the same when traveling with my trailer through any large city.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #21

No I thank we will go to Memphis Across I-40 to Amarillo on out west no toll roads.

We are retired and have the time and don’t wont to give our money for some dang toll road.

We would have liked to have had a good stake in Houston but we will take a pass.

I am like Medic57 post #13 (I despise toll roads also) I despise toll roads. I thought the gasoline taxes and registration fees were for building and maintaining roads.

"Three Fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and One Fourth is land.

It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

--- Chuck Clark ---

Old 01-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
For those traveling thru Houston on I-10 this weekend (Jan. 22 - 24) all eastbound lanes will be closed Friday 9PM thru Monday 5AM at I-45.
I would advise taking Beltway 8 around the north side, there will be tolls but, is better than 610 due to construction on 610 at 290.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

If you have the time, want a relaxing ride with some traffic lights, pick up I-35N to Hwy-21E to Hwy105E. Hwy 105 dumps in Beaumont.

Or, I-10 to Hwy-36N to Hwy-159N to Hwy-6N to 105E.

Or just stay on I-10. Houston traffic is slow from 0730-0900 and 1500-1800 hours. Even then, unless there is a major accident the delay will only be 15 minutes. I drove from my city 40 miles to work near the Astrodome. Without traffic was around 40 minutes and with rush hour traffic was 1 hour. There are many ways for me to avoid Houston, but it's just not that advantageous to do it.

If you are not in a hurry to get back to w*#k take the scenic round down to the Texas Gulf Coast, ride up to Galveston, take the Bolivar Ferry and drive up to I-10E that way. (The Ferry is free and can handle 18 wheelers and RV's.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
OK, after driving the new EZ-TAG-only toll bridge, I have to say...

NICE!!! A couple weeks ago, traffic would stop about 2 miles back before we even got to I-10, and it would be creeping, stop-and-go traffic for about 15 or 20 minutes just to get to the bridge. Who wants to pay a toll for that kind of traffic???

Well, now traffic doesn't hardly even slow down as we approach and go over it.

Glad Houston did SOMETHING to ease up at least a little bit of our congested roadways!
Drove it today, that was nice. I know it was Saturday, but there was still a good bit of traffic. Now, if they would just increase the speed limit from 50MPH!!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #25

Nobody goes that slow. Most are doing 65.