Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Houston to Philadelphia - HELP

2 kids and 3 adults in a class B - first big trip - never been east before. We can't decide RV or SUV. Cost won't vary much as hotels will offset gas for RV. Our concern is will we be able to drive to and park the RV at all the historic sites? We'll take public transit in DC but what about other cities? Are reservations really necessary at RV parks in summer? Has anyone stayed at state parks along the way? What about free parking at rest stops? Need help making this decision from experienced RV'ers.

barbbezub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm confused ... A class B isn't much bigger than most SUV's and can certainly visit any historical sights parking wise. Commerical campgrounds are usually available anytime without reservations State Parks can be tough especially on weekends but with a little flexibility you'll do fine. I don't know about overnight at rest stops with kids .....I wouldn't want them outside alone ... and 5 people in a class B !!!!!

grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
I own a Class B and yes it's awesome be able to park anywhere etc. I can't imagine having 3 people much less 5. I think you need to do some more research on making your decision.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Go for it in the Class B.

Consider this; In the '80's my father-in-law took his wife and four other friends of hers, all adults to Alaska from Texas in a 24-26 foot Class-C towing a small Jeep. They had a wonderful time. Granted your Class B is smaller, but but you most likely have more "amenities" then his old Class C.

What do you have to lose? You are on an uncharted experience for you personally that will last you and the children the rest of their lives.

How long is your Class-B? in 1977 we were in a Chevy Sportvan 20 that was equipped by Travco. The top popped up and had canvas sides with zippered screened in vents. The van had no AC. It had an atwood gas furnace, a two burner stove, a small sink, and a portable porta-potty that was emptied by taking the bucket out and dumping it in a toilet somewhere. We had our two young boys and one of their friends with us. The van could sleep 4, two adults and two smaller people comfortably, but we mananged with 5. We traveled from North Carolina to Texas and back - in the summer time. We had a great time.

You say ask Suv or Class-B. Personally I'd take the Class B. If you take the SUV you will be stopping and staying in hotel/motels, most likely. If you take the Class-B you still have the opportunity if things should ot work out to your expectations of stopping at a hotel/motel. Now who would know when chekcing in that an Adult or maybe two adults are going to sleep in the Class B. Consider the scenario, and finances.

So I say go for it and enjoy the trip.

Happy trails.

p.s., when we traveled with a 5th wheel we towed with a F350, King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long Bed. In 90% of the time if, there was maneuverability and a car could get into the space, so could I. I am guessing that it was as big as a Class-b for parking. I never had any problems at any historic sites that we visited. No, we didn't visit them all but it was not because we were concerned with parking.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Oh, sorry, big mistake. It's a 2000 class c. I appreciate your replys and am sorry I hit the wrong key,
barbbezub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Take it from someone who drives in Philadelphia everyday, traffic just sucks. The streets were design for horse and carriage so they're narrow down in old city. Also the parking garages have low ceiling that you'd never get a class c into. I'd recommend using mass transit as much as possible. There's the big red bus service running in the city. It hits all the attraction.

2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit.
Served U.S.A.F
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote