Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
How can I avoid NYC area traffic.

Taking I 95N from south Jersey. What Would be the best way to get to Acadia NP. Once I figure the best way around Newark NYC I plan to jump back on 95. Any sage advice on the NYC AREA issue and the rest of the trip would be appreciated. This is new territory for us. We plan to go August 6. Thanks Ed &Sharon.

Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd take I-287 W around the NYC area. At the NJ/NY border, get on I-87 N to Newburgh, NY and I-84. I-84 merges with I-90 at Sturbridge, MA. Continue on I-90 until I-495, which will take you around Boston. I-495 will join I-95 near the MA/NH border, from there it's north to Maine. I used to live near the I-287/I-78 interchange, in Liberty Corner, I've used I-84 to get to Maine and New Hampshire, it's the best way to avoid major traffic.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure that you don't get in th wrong lane and end up going across the George Washington bridge. $75 cash for 35 ft. Rv and towed.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thank you bflinn181 for that route sounds like the right plan
Old 07-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thank you mikf for the heads up you got my attention.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #6

X2 on that route!
Old 08-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New Jack City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaflatlander View Post
Taking I 95N from south Jersey. What Would be the best way to get to Acadia NP. Once I figure the best way around Newark NYC I plan to jump back on 95. Any sage advice on the NYC AREA issue and the rest of the trip would be appreciated. This is new territory for us. We plan to go August 6. Thanks Ed &Sharon.

It is not the traffic on I-95 through NYC that makes you pucker up, it is that $105.00 toll fee they charged to cross the George Washington Bridge. That really made me pucker up. From Lancaster, PA to Boston/Cape Cod, toll fees were more than cost of diesel fuel for the drive! ARGH Who authorized states and cities to charge tax payers for driving on U. S. Interstate Highways? My coach has a tag axle and towing a Jeep. The toll frogs charge me the same thing they charge an 18 wheel commercial vehicle! We are being robbed by the Government, again!!
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #8

I run to Rhinebeck NY every year from south jersey. NJTP to either 287 or GSPW. Run that to inter state 87 to inter state 84. I go north on 9, but you can stay straight. Look at a map to get an idea. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
It is not the traffic on I-95 through NYC that makes you pucker up, it is that $105.00 toll fee they charged to cross the George Washington Bridge. That really made me pucker up. From Lancaster, PA to Boston/Cape Cod, toll fees were more than cost of diesel fuel for the drive! ARGH Who authorized states and cities to charge tax payers for driving on U. S. Interstate Highways? My coach has a tag axle and towing a Jeep. The toll frogs charge me the same thing they charge an 18 wheel commercial vehicle! We are being robbed by the Government, again!!
The PA Turnpike and George Washington Bridge were built before the Interstate highway system was created in the '50's. The high tolls are less for revenue production (although they use the money) and more to discourage driving in the heavily congested region. Using I-81, I-84, you can by-pass NYC metro area and avoid all tolls. Commercial trucks do it all the time, you'll see an increased number of trucks on the routes I mentioned.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote