RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #15

We were on I-40 at Albuquerque, NM the end of April once and the whole highway was closed for a blizzard. We stayed right on the highway overnight along with others.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #16

I was gonna say......much of I40 can be pretty treacherous and dangerous through several states at any time during the winter. Not only the snow, but freezing rain, and plenty of black ice too. I did it once, in a motorhome. Never again. Those 40-50 vehicle pileups are never pretty.

GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
All options are on the table, 90, 80, 70, 40, 10...to gain the benefit of going south you probably have to take 40 or 10. 70 is beautiful but you will deal with snow. 80 and 90 are more direct, just as much snow, but more desolate.

So it's up to you.

If you take 40 or 10 and stop through Vegas, hit me up and I'll extend some local hospitality!
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #18

We did Route 66 last February from St Louis to California. We travelled I 40 most of the way across. We had no trouble, but from what I hear it can be a crap shoot. We came back across I 10 two winters in a row and had no trouble.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:41 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
To avoid as much winter weather as possible I think I'd go all the way down to I-10 and head west. Probably for most of the time I-40 would be ok, but once into New Mexico and Arizona you would be in the High Desert where the elevation is around 6000 feet and therefore subject to heavy snow once in a while. Hence, my suggestion to go a little further south to I-10. Still could get a little snow there but not much.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #20

Indeed l40 is a "crap shoot". A few days ago it was closed just outside Flagstaff with over two feet of snow and ice. OK can be dicey with black ice. As far as the shortest route is concern, why not go TCH? You're going to run in to weather wherever you go.
Good luck.
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
To avoid as much winter weather as possible I think I'd go all the way down to I-10 and head west. Probably for most of the time I-40 would be ok, but once into New Mexico and Arizona you would be in the High Desert where the elevation is around 6000 feet and therefore subject to heavy snow once in a while. Hence, my suggestion to go a little further south to I-10. Still could get a little snow there but not much.
I would pretty much agree with this. If the goal is to avoid snow as much as possible, head as far south as possible. I-70 is probably the ideal route, and just take your time and camp whenever the weather is bad. 80 or 90 there will be too much snow and too few places to stop.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
I would pretty much agree with this. If the goal is to avoid snow as much as possible, head as far south as possible. I-70 is probably the ideal route, and just take your time and camp whenever the weather is bad. 80 or 90 there will be too much snow and too few places to stop.
Watch the Weather and Think about I-70 - Direct - and doable - think we have probably do it in almost every month of the year - and yes we would it again tomorrow if we could.

Shoot we still drive I-70 Golden to Vail in a SnowStorm and Back the same day - Think I've said it before - I'm a little crazy and Oh how I Love to Drive in the Rockies - or the Wasatch.

First image is Heading west after the Tunnel on I-70 - Day before it snowed 11" the Second Image is on RT 24 from Leadville to RedCliff - just about Camp Hale on RT 24 - Beautiful drive in about 500 ' I passed a Motorhome that was Parked at Camp Hale snowmobiling

I- 70 is fine,

JMHO,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_103827.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	234744   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_115406.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	234745  

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #23

This time of year you can’t get “ there” from “there” !
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I-40 through ABQ is shouldn't have all that much bad weather but I-70 crosses the Rockies just west of Denver. That route can be rather "exciting" in the winter.

I don't know of any Route 60.
We're going west to east on I40 right now. Beautiful travaling. We're watching the weather and looks like it will allow us to take a more northern route back to Maryland.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
We're going west to east on I40 right now. Beautiful travaling. We're watching the weather and looks like it will allow us to take a more northern route back to Maryland.
Drive safe and enjoy the beautiful country!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Seriously - you aren’t considering driving over 1,500 miles south to get to I-10 and then West....

That seems to be a TAD out of the way to me - not mentioning the additional travel time involved....

Think I’d consider I-80 or I-70..... heavily traveled and shouldn’t give you any trouble.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! We took the 70 for as far as we could. We then ventured south to the 40 even so we narrowly missed highway closures from a couple of systems. Attached a screen shot of one system we ducked under.

I should make it clear that we drive a class a and the tires just aren’t suitable for much more than wet conditions, certainly not snow/ice. I would not recommend anyone take the TCH in winter with a pusher unless you want to camp a lot. Also some of the temps in central Canada are well below tolerances for RV’s...things will freeze.

Having driven it through several storms I would recommend playing between the 40 and 70 with a good copilot works well.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Seriously - you aren’t considering driving over 1,500 miles south to get to I-10 and then West....

That seems to be a TAD out of the way to me - not mentioning the additional travel time involved....

Think I’d consider I-80 or I-70..... heavily traveled and shouldn’t give you any trouble.....

The 70 and 80 were closed several times over the past week dépendant on your location you were there for a couple days. I prefer to be moving.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip