Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gMw View Post
How many miles per day?

Our daily mileage varies depending on weather, campground availability, our destination/plans/schedule, etc…. We've traveled as much as 850 miles and as little as 75 miles in a day.
Don't usally worry about first or second day cause there's alway WAL MART

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do Michigan (Detroit area) to South Carolina (Seneca) and this trip I did it in 48 hours. That's roughly 400 miles a day.

I was looking to do it in 3-4 days but did it in 2.

I have done 600 in a day but that is too long (12 hours minimum) on the road and well.. I needed to get out of COLD (-6 that morning at 3am, Furnace could not keep up, So I added engine heat and turned LEFT (South) to keep warm).

I did not drive tired. Last day was only 176 miles but foothills (mountain style driving)

Sticking to I-75 400/day should be quite possible if you are in good health

(For me last year it would have taken at least 4 days, possibly longer, for that same trip).

Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #31

We are retired folks and in no rush at all. That changes things a lot.

First, Stop thinking miles...
Think hours of road time.
Even that is wildly variable as your driving comfort and road conditions change. The time is what wears one you. We have traveled places were four hours of driving was exhausting. We have also run interstates for twelve to fourteen hours (in one case only).

We usually plan about a ten hour "Road Day". That includes fuel and interest stops. If we have a real destination, we like to get there before dark. That is another variable with sun-time.

If you are experienced and can run one of the navigation packages on a laptop, you can pretty well target your End Of Day and never be too uncomfortable.

Matt
Old 11-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
We try to do no more than 250-300 Mi. Per day.
Less it there is a RV. Park closer available.
Like the 3-3-3. Less than 300 Mi.parked before 3:00PM.
AND stay at least 3 days. We have a 40' MH.- CRV Toad.
Retired, full time. No S&B !
Have the same rule but with the addition of one more 3.

Three Rum & Cokes.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #33

For 1985 Bounder:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bounder View Post
I have noticed a tendency for people to recommend Walmart parking over a night on an interstate rest area. Is there a reason for getting off and hunting Walmart?
We travelers don't go off "hunting" a Walmart. We have maps and books to know exactly where they and the other good ONP places are. Most are quieter than an interstate rest area and some states limit the amount of time you can stop to less than a full night's rest. Minnesota and Pennsylvania have 4 hour limits and Kentuckey has plowed in most of their rest areas, so those are three states that we avoid stopping and spending any money.

Your next questions is probably, "Why don't we go to campgrounds?"
Three Reasons:
1 - The ONPs we pick are largely for convenience. They are close to the highway or what ever route we are traveling.
2 - Campgrounds can't offer us anything we don't have. (Walmart usually can and at decent prices.)
3 - We don't need a reservation and we can arrive as late as we choose and not have to deal with a grumpy desk person.

One thing we really don't need to pay for is a swimming pool full of screaming kids. Not all campgrounds have no-kids-times.
Potable water is pretty easy to locate and so are dumps if you know how to find them.

Notice the first line. Most of the time we are on the road, we are travelers. We are not camping for the joy of sleeping in a smaller bed and not having the view we do at home. We are going somewhere. We are often going somewhere for a week at a time. When we get there, we may camp and even pay money for a nice place. But, that is completely our own choice.

If you want to learn how to be an effective "Traveler" in your coach, you need to do some studying and learn to use the maps and books that we travelers carry.

Matt
Old 11-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We drive to Florida almost every year from Ann Arbor Michigan area. In our car we leave super early Saturday (6-7 AM) and try to make it to Macon Georgia. The next day we usually reach our destination by 3 or 4.

Now that we are going to drive a Motorhome we will probably drive some on Friday and stop somewhere in Ohio. We want to reach our destination on Sunday, so we will see how it goes.

Probably stay at Walmart or a rest stop, both sound kinda scary though.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #35

This one is for the retired or semi retired types, we do the mid mi. to south fla. every yr. we drive between 125 and 250 mi. the way we figure it your going to wake up in the morning in your rv every day for six months anyway, who cares where your at. eventually we wake up in fort myers.

Jim & Sue
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
. There was a thread some time ago about the Walmart rotisserie chicken too
We generally leave about 10 a.m. and shut down about 3-4 p.m. Stop many times for lunch in WalMart parking lot. We are retired and in no hurry. My shortest day was about 75 miles. We acted like tourist that day and had several stops. Have not yet stayed at WalMart, but do like the chicken and we get most of our supplies from them while traveling. I prefer to stay at a campsite so I can pull out a lawn chair with adult beverage and relax. Often I also get to have some interaction with other's. Plus I kind of enjoy a country scenery vs. parking lot. Now if I was in a hurry driving long hours and leaving early, I would stop at WalMart.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #37

We will be traveling to FL soon too. We always take I 65 instead of I 75 because of weather uncertainty, and it only adds 67 miles to the trip to avoid any mountain driving in winter, and of course avoid Atlanta traffic.
Anyway, we make it a 4 day drive from Indianapolis to Ft. Myers. We drive ~300 miles a day, first night Athens, AL., 2nd night Dothan, AL., 3rd night somewhere around Ganesville,FL. That makes ~6 hr driving days for us, including refueling and a lunch break (same stop).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog2020 View Post
Probably stay at Walmart or a rest stop, both sound kinda scary though.
You will be comfortable with it once you try it.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we like staying overnight at Cracker Barrels..they are everywhere and it's not a hassle...and the parking for Busses and RV's is easy pull through...have a nice breakfast by the fireside in the morning and hit the road....
Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #40

We too have found Cracker Barrels preferable to Walmarts. Retailers, including Walmart, are always nearby for any needed supplies.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
We too have found Cracker Barrels preferable to Walmarts. Retailers, including Walmart, are always nearby for any needed supplies.
We have given up Cracker Barrel overnight parking for a number of reasons:
1.) The parking lots are usually difficult to maneuver into/through.
2.) The RV/bus parking spaces are to short with a toad.
3.) The spaces often have cars parked in them.

BTW, Rest areas are often full and RV spaces at Flying J are often too short.
Most Walmarts have plenty of space, are open 24/7, have roaming 24 hour security, (as well as security cameras).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bounder View Post
I have noticed a tendency for people to recommend Walmart parking over a night on an interstate rest area. Is there a reason for getting off and hunting Walmart?
I agree with the other responses...we are routine Walmarter's when we are inroute. Since we are fully self contained we find pulling into a Walmart is much easier than checking into a campground for a quick overnight stay. Having said that I do think that some of our fellow rv'ers take advantage of their hospitality. We do the bare minimum and put out our bedroom slide however I have seen awnings out and grills being used of which i feel is unacceptable. The other advantage...is a Redbox so I can swap out my movie!

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote