Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
How many miles per day

How many miles per day

We are going from Michigan to FL and I was thinking, how many miles per day is my goal? There is just one driver, and this is a vacation, and we want to be safe. Some of you get up early and go, that’s not me. I have been using the bladder as a gauge, with maybe 2 hours then a stop and rest. Do we need to get to your camp ground before dark?

When traveling long distances how many miles a day do you want to travel?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch99 View Post
How many miles per day

We are going from Michigan to FL and I was thinking, how many miles per day is my goal? There is just one driver, and this is a vacation, and we want to be safe. Some of you get up early and go, that’s not me. I have been using the bladder as a gauge, with maybe 2 hours then a stop and rest. Do we need to get to your camp ground before dark?

Hello, Are you folks retired? if so don't worry about the miles, just wing it and stop when you want to. If on a time schedule, I have driven as little as 100 miles in a day and on the other end of the stick I have driven a mere 900 miles in a day, depends on your time frame and where you "HAVE" to be. You will know when you have had enough for that day........

Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I consider large cities I have to go through/around. I try to arrange my schedule my driving so I can go through Atlanta, GA around 10-11 am. Others will suggest other hours I'm sure.
I try to not push my luck by driving when I'm to fatigue. Sometimes I don't realize how tired I am until I stop for a break. So, stopping like you do is a great idea.
When I stop, I can't take a nap. Because, it takes an hour for me to go to sleep for a 5-10 minute nap.
Drive safely and have fun on vacation.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
How many miles per day?

Our daily mileage varies depending on weather, campground availability, our destination/plans/schedule, etc…. We've traveled as much as 850 miles and as little as 75 miles in a day.

For our upcoming Florida trip, we'll travel about 540 the first day (due to the lack of campground availability), then return to our daily target of 300 to 400 miles per day.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have not done the Florida thingy for the winter but many of our club members have(WIT). They have mentioned that you may not find a camp ground open at this time of year until you get down to lower Kentucky, so you should call for reservations well ahead of time. If you plan on Walmarting over night then the distance wont matter. As has been mentioned you don't want to go thru Atlanta during their morning or afternoon "rush" hour. Those that do the trip every year can tell you what the best time to get thru Atlanta will be. When we travel I like to leave early but DW is a late riser so if we leave at 9am that is early for her. I do all the driving and usually will do between 300 to 600 miles a day depending on weather and road and traffic conditions. Going to Florida, if you are on a couple week stay, I would consider driving till you are getting tired and then find a Walmart for overnight.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The plate on the front of our MH say's "LAZY DAZE" so that being said I like to limit my driving to 3 or 4 hours. We will be heading south in the early spring and I will probably drive much longer the first day just to catch some warmer weather.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we had limited vacation time, and just had to be back to work on a specific date, we'd drive 12 or 14 hours in a day, making our Wisconsin to Florida trip in just two days.

Now we're retired. We generally plan for 4 to 6 hours, max, with stops every 2 to 3 hours. The distance travelled will depend on what type of roads and speeds we'll be travelling. We don't have to get up at the crack of dawn, and we like stopping mid afternoon (we haven't set up camp in the dark once, since retiring).
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch99 View Post
How many miles per day

I like to leave at 9 am and stop between 3-4pm....I don't stop for lunch but will stop for a bathroom break and walk around the RV.......
Now, this time a year ,all bets are off,as alot of campgrounds are closed as you get in the North...so have to fit that into our plans....the last thing is we have campgrounds we like over others...or a restaurant near a campground we would like to got to campground...we will pull in for a night but unhook to go eat..really not a hassle at all......
We also plan as we go...so things can change..lol.....Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
When I was in my 40s I had a fixed vacation period and would drive from the Midwest to Florida in two days. It was 650-700 mi a day.....yeeech. I'm still working but I don't try to come close to that. My max is 500 mi, only if I need to do so. I prefer the 350 mi or less. I don't Walmart camp. I always try to park before dark which is quite early this time of year.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

When just "touring", we would try to stick to around 250 miles per day. When we were in "travel mode"... meaning we were just trying to get somewhere, we'll push toward 400 miles but rarely more than that.

We do ALWAYS try to be set up in our CG before dark.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We try to do no more than 300 miles a day. With stops, that's 6 to 7 hours on the road.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are retired and drive at 60 mph and are not in a hurry. 300 miles is a comfortable days drive. We estimate we will average 50 mph with stops for fuel, food, potty stops, etc. So a 6 hour day is about right.

The longest day in an RV was 640 miles when we were going to my Mom's for a holiday. It was a killer the next day. We have made a few 500 mile back to back days when we were younger, but they were too long.

So I guess the best thing to do is to go at your own chosen pace.

Ken
Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue Highways or Interstate? ...limited time or UNlimited? Just go with the flow! There's no rule that says you can't drive just 50 miles in a day if you are appropriately "distracted or curious," you know! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I agree that taking your time when your retired will get you to your destination on time. If it doesn't matter, slow down and enjoy the view. I'm sure the first little bit when I retire I'll be rushing around to get chores done, driving 400 miles a day, until I finally figure it out.....That I don't have to anything anymore....can't wait.