Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Keep it Simple. You have done the 4-5 weeks now your doing it 4-5 times same thing different dance(country to see). Plan a general route and check areas you might need to make reservations because of things going on in that area. We hardly ever make reservations other than the day we are traveling for that night. As to your protection I purchased a 12 gauge black 870 evil gun with 7 shot and slugs and 00 buck for our Alaska trip from the down under US. Look at the Canadian sights and get the paperwork filled out before you reach the border and there is no problem just the $25 or maybe $35 and if you stay longer in Alaska you may need to do it again on the return. Also pick up the US paper work for bringing the Gun back. Keep the fuel full as you go north, then plan a jump to inside Alaska for cheaper fuel than northern Canada. Boondocking on the way north thru Canada is great after you hit the Alcan. I would not take the RV over the top of the world hightway, I did and would the first time again, but it can be very muddy or dusty or both. Come to think about it I would do it again. There is fuel and food all along the way but do plan your fuel stops and have xtra food, most likely over kill but I like being prepared. Also I hope you have a TOWED you will want it in Alaska and in Canada. Have some cash as the outback needs some but most places take CC's. I never felt threatened in Canada or in Alaska but I did have the equalizer if needed and I was thinking bears more than people. Get a couple books on doing the Alcan Milepost and Alaska camping I think we had six LOL(my wife is a reader). As to a tour we did not and I would not just because of the herd. And if I got up in the morning an took a look out the window and decided I wanted to stay right here a couple days it was fine. Or wanted to clam digging or go fishing, or see what was over that hill I did. Plus the xtra money was put to good use. One last tip, there is a coupon book for tours, fishing, and what ever that WILL save many $$$ at the Safeways, it's a $100 but you will save that on the first boat tour or what ever. Have fun and be spontaneous.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #16

If you're planning on leaving in early Spring you may want to stay in the "south" and movfe north as it warms up. Early Spring can still be pretty cold in the northern tier of states.
If you enter Canada and return to US via same port you can rent a lock box at a bank to store your 2nd.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
I did 3 months on the road from South Florida to Montana then down to AZ and back. While my route was planned out our stops were not. My plan involved stopping for lunch and figuring out where we would be by 4-5 pm and then calling ahead to make a reservation at a campgroung we found in the Woodalls or other book. I never had to stay at a Walmart. The route back was planned on a daily basis. To be honest the DW did not like the uncertainty of that method although nothing bad ever happened. I've taken to making reservations for the entire trip to make the world a happier place.
Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Canada is civilized and the roads here are better than some in the lower 48. as in the US it all depends what route you take. as for the protection even our Indians are civilized ( haha) Get out of the dark ages and see what is on the other side of the fence
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled form NY to Alaska and back in 4 plus months and 14K miles in 2012. Went across the northern US RT90. Turned north at Glacier Park thru the Canadian Rockies and onto the Alaska Highway up to Fairbanks. Took a plane ride thru Denali National Park and landed on a Eldridge Glacier. The Plane ride was one of two reservations made. The other was at Tutka Bay Lodge across the bay form Homer, Ak.; where my wife and grandsons participated in the cooking school. Tuned south and traveled on a Ferry on the Inter Coastal Waterway form Haines to Juneao, Sitka, Ketchikan, and back to Canada at Prince Rupert. Then down to Seattle, Columbia River Gorge, Yellowstone, Cody, and down to Denver, Pikes Peak and back home to NY.

Pick up a Milepost book of the Alaska Highway. Your Copilot will keep you informed about all of the up coming interesting sights and call ahead to the next towns campgrounds.

We created a blog of the entire trip starting in May 2012:
RVGR8escape: May 2012

We planed our trip using RV adventure Videos. These proved to be the most informative on roads, campgrounds, restaurants, interesting sights, and activities along the way. These are videos we used : "Alaska; RV adventure of a life time", "RVing Alaska", "The Great Rocky Mountain Adventure Glacier Park and Canadian Rockies", and " Alaska Inside Passage". See their web site: RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

We also watched the videos as we traveled to make sure we captured all the sights.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
2004 Meridian, 2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Airforce one
FMCA 403779
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #20
going to AK 2014

Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
We don't plan or make reservations. Even most holidays, we found a place to stay. We try and take out time, stop and see what we want, when we want. If we get tired, we stop and take a few days to recoup. If you plan out an itinerary and make reservations, you are more worried about getting to the next destination on time. If you are retired, slow down, relax and enjoy the view and whatever else is of interest to you down the road.
We seem to be like you all and really don't want to make reservations. Did you stay on Kenai Pen. in July? Any problems with finding a site? We have 43' MH.
Lenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
We, too, avoid reservations and have made very few in our 16 years of full-timing with constant travel - even for a summer to Alaska. We have a 40' motorhome and the Alaska trip didn't require any special precautions to our vehicles. We left Arizona with a small crack in our Jeep's windshield and we didn't get it repaired thinking we'd get more on the trip. We returned from Alaska with the same crack and no further damage of any kind. The secret is to drive slow. It's not an interstate-kind of trip. You'll encounter road repair areas the same as you do in the lower 48. Take it nice and slow and if an oncoming vehicle approaches move to the right side as far as possible. There's not much traffic and sometimes you can even pull over and stop until the vehicle passes. The only reservations we made for the Alaskan trip was the July 4 weekend and our stay in Denali Nat'l Park. For those two we only made reservations 3 weeks out when we could better determine our timing. Also, leave your guns behind when crossing into Canada!

The best resources for Alaska are the Milepost for excellent maps and historical data. Don't rely on it for camping information - it's paid advertising so all the parks are rated 'excellent' (by themselves). For RV parks, public parks and beautiful scenic dry camping areas, purchase Mike and Terri Church's "Alaskan Camping" book. It's the best resource for your stays. Also purchase the Tour Saver 2/1 coupon book. Just one glacier cruise will pay for the book. All these can be bought online.

The Woodalls Forum has an excellent ongoing post going of those going to Alaska this summer. It's under Canada/Alaska Forum - Roll Call Alaska 2014. Also at the very top of that forum page is a 'Sticky'. Click on it and you'll find tons of trip hints from those that went last year. The Alaskan trip is easy to do by yourself and you'll find you'll meet up with some of the same folks from time to time as you travel. There aren't a lot of roads and everyone is going the same places as you. You won't be alone if you don't want. Pull into RV parks early afternoon if no reservations. We loved the great boondocking spots along the way. Try to cross the Canadian border by the end of May and leave Alaska mid-August or even a little later if you have time. It's a looooong drive. Have fun planning!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #22
Lots of encouraging information. Big thanks!
Lenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #23
No one goes anywhere without a "plan". Those that "wing it", well, that's their "plan". Now, we have heard on this Irv2 many times about the 300/3/3 routine. That is a really good "plan". Drive 300 miles, or stop by 3:00 pm. Some added that 3rd "3". They stay 3 days. That gives time to see the area. sleep late, nap under the awning, walk around after supper.
I find that "planning" just increases the excitement & anticipation. As for reservations, that might be "over planning', except in crowded places, or holiday weekends. So, get out the maps, the books, the "trip planners", and start that heart pumping... Ahh the anticipation, I can feel it already.

Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote