Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

How much planning for an extended trip?

We’re beginning to think about an extended trip next year - 2-3 months (maybe more). I am wondering how much you guys plan, and how much you wing it?

We have had our 42" DP for about a year, and taken a half dozen trips, the longest being 5 weeks and 4,000 miles, but I laboriously planned and made reservations for all of our stops (except a few Wally Worlds).

We live on the Georgia coast. Our very rough outline of a plan is to leave home in early spring heading northwest, tour through the northern mid-west and/or Canada on the way to a guided trip into Alaska, then drop further south on the return leg.

If we sign on with an Alaska tour, we will have a definite time to be there, but I would like to remain as flexible as possible on the way there and home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #2

We went on our own to Alaska, any reason your going with a group? We winged it except for some resverations in AK. Never had a problem finding a camp site.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #3

Our biggest chore is wondering where we will not hurry to next.

Take slow, 2-lane roads.

Stop for lunch at the busiest cafe.

Fun is not what you make on a journey, it is the hidden treasures you find.

Let the journey be your destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I plan our trips using the RV Road Trip Navigator. I will plan the trip with basic stops and duration at RV parks every 4-7 hours just according to what we want to see along the way. We only make RV Park reservations a day or two before we expect to arrive, unless we know it may be a problem getting a reservation. However, if one park is full normally there are 2 or 3 more that are close by.

We took our first long trip in 2009, after having our first motorhome for about 4 months, to Alaska. We did not want to travel with a group as we wanted to be abot to stop when we wanted to. It worked out great!! We plan to head to Alaska again in the next couple of years, just depends on how my parents health is doing!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

2 - 3 months for a trip from Georgia to Alaska & back. You're kidding, right? Don't know how many miles that is but that's a very big trip for such a short time frame. Maybe you are still working. What you will see is the sights whizzing by you on the highway. How you travel is certainly your choice but if you have such short time frames why don't you plan a shorter trip so you can slow down and enjoy it. Go to WY, SD, MT & ID. Lots to see. Getting back to your original questions, when we travel we plan to stop at a certain distance, most likely less than 250 miles per day. We use Passport America, Cabela's, city & county parks & COE parks. When we get close to our destination and we feel like driving longer, we do, and have a 2nd park in mind. I plan more than the DH, he would prefer not to plan at all. Do you get upset if your plan gets interrupted? We can't plan every minute of the day or our whole lives, stuff happens that throws a wrench in those plans.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #6

Why Alaska with with a tour? Mywife is concerned about safety, and I don't think I should travel through Canada with my "second amendment" security system.

Yeah, my 2-3 month time frame seems very short a
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

Why Alaska with with a tour? My wife is concerned about safety, and I don't think I should travel through Canada with my "second amendment" security system. Looking at the tour websites seem to give the impression that it's still uncharted territory.

They also make a big deal about rock guards for coach and toad. Is it really an issue.?

Yeah, my 2-3 month time frame for this trip seems very short after thinking... I am retired and have no real constraints.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

We are on the Gulf Coast right now and planning to go to Alaska next year. We plan to winter in the southwest and go up the pacific coast when weather allows. No agenda, no reservations. Making the plan up as we go along.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

The road to AK is all paved, we went and didn't even get one rock chip on the MH. If you haven't got a Mile Post book, you should, it e xplains the entire road up and back. As to being safe, never felt unsafe the entire trip except for bears so when we got in Canada, stopped and got a can of bear spray to have handy just in case. as for a tour (caravan) heard that if you rig breaks down and you can leave when the group leaves, they will just leave you and have you catch up if you can. For us the freedom of staying as long as we want, on our own schedule and the extra cost for a tour is not worth it.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

We did a four month tour around the outside states a few years ago and had no schedule or pre-planned stops. This was Aug-Nov. We saw many great things we might have missed had we been on a "schedule".

Last year we took two months (May-June) to go to Alaska and back. Great trip. No planning.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #11

We went from Florida to Alaska and back and took 10 months. Never traveled more than 60 miles away from home before we left. Never, never felt the need felt the need for a "second amendment." I did plan the trip out and made reservations all the way there and back. Nice to know where your going to stay. But you do have to plan ahead and make sure your aren't missing anything along the way. Never traveled over 250 miles a day and some days it was only 70 miles down the road to our next destination. Also, I have a rule of staying 2 nights in every campground, always fun to visit the area and relax before driving the next day. Drove 25,000 miles getting to Alaska and back with a lot of mileS sightseeing and stayed in 64 different campgrounds. However you travel enjoy the trip and have FUN!!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We don't plan or make reservations. Even most holidays, we found a place to stay. We try and take out time, stop and see what we want, when we want. If we get tired, we stop and take a few days to recoup. If you plan out an itinerary and make reservations, you are more worried about getting to the next destination on time. If you are retired, slow down, relax and enjoy the view and whatever else is of interest to you down the road.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Thanks for all the great posts and information. I really like the "2 day rule" of staying ant any stop for more than an over-nighter.

We are really looking forward to our trip next spring, and now I can relax and not sweat the planning.

I think Alaska on our own si going to be the way to go. I had discounted it after letting the caravan promoters convince me that I needed "support" from them.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We spent 4 months 4 days on a trip last year. We made reservations for Memorial Day weekend and 4th of July week ahead of time. We knew we wanted to be in DC for the 4th and happy we had reservations as all of the RV Parks were full. Depending on where you are going to be on Holidays you may or may not need advance reservations.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote