Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

How to visit Philadelphia on a quick visit

Let me confess, first of all, that yes--our visiting plan does not do justice to a wonderful city that's full of rich culture and history. But our trip plan involved choices (we can't do everything), and we have now just a few hours there.

We will be driving south on the NJ Turnpike on a Sunday in September and have three hours to turn off the turnpike, cross into PA and visit. We are pulling a trailer and do not want to drive into the city center, but to park by a train station and take public transportation in. After a visit to Independence Hall, and some other sites, we ride back to our rig and continue our journey.

Is this possible? And does anyone have a recommendation of a good Philadelphia train station at which to safely park and ride?
CalStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

I heard a suggestion not long after posting this

One suggestionI heard from someone is to use the PATCO line from New Jersey -- huge parking lots, quick trip across the river, can get off near the mall, etc.

Good idea?
CalStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Try Timberlane CG Untitled Document (the link says Untitled Document as the website does not have a title).

It is located between the NJ Turnpike and I-295 and is about 15-20 miles to Philly. We just visited this CG last week as a possible summer location for next year. Looks like a nice park and the lady in the office is very nice.

Another option: there is a KOA west of Philly (Philadelphia/West Chester KOA).

I am sure either place can provide you with directions to mass transit.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalStevens View Post
One suggestionI heard from someone is to use the PATCO line from New Jersey -- huge parking lots, quick trip across the river, can get off near the mall, etc.

Good idea?
Patco would be the best bet. WWW.ridepatco.org
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Woodcrest station would be the closest one to the turnpike /295.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Woodcrest station would be the closest one to the turnpike /295.
This would be my recommendation. Get off the Turnpike at Exit 4, take Route 73 North for about 1/2 mile, and jump onto I295 South. Note, when you exit the turnpike onto 73 North, you'll be in the rightmost lane - you want to move over to the 2nd lane fairly quickly, after the light the right lane turns into an exit only onto I295 North. You'll take I295 South for 5 miles to Exit 31, that will put you right at the Woodcrest PATCO station. It's about 20 minutes on the train, I think it's $2.75 each way (I have a swipe card and just never pay attention to the amount).

The link above will give you the schedule. Enjoy!

(Oh, when you're ready to resume your travels, when you leave the station just get back on 295 south. At this end of the state, it parallels the turnpike and will take you right to the DE Memorial Bridge. No tolls on 295.)