Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2009, 03:00 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I do love the Encore Resort in Pacifica for the ocean views. This is the campground south of the city. People complain of it's "Parking Lot" atmosphere because it is all asphalt lot...but you do have the views! We did visit Diplomat Don in an RV park north of the city (San Rafael-Rohnert Park area) but I would have stayed at Pacifica it I had the choice
between the two.

Pleasanton is great because of the BART trains going into the city leave you the freedom of not having to drive & park in the city.

I have never been a big fan of Vallejo - but the ride on the ferry would be fun.

I believe Napa County has fairground camping also in the town of Calistoga...this may be a great place if you enjoy wine tasting. There is also this campground too.

I think someone mentioned the French Laundry....just a heads up... I believe you need to make reservations pretty far in advance.

Please let us know if you plan to make it up near Sacramento ..we would love to meet you!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
MM: Thanks for the San Francisco area info. Yeah,...it would be fun meeting the famous Monaco Mama. Will try to contact you when we get in the area. Thanks again. Steve & Lynette

Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Here.... San Francisco North KOA - Camping in Petaluma, California: Main
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
MM: Thanks for the San Francisco area info. Yeah,...it would be fun meeting the famous Monaco Mama. Will try to contact you when we get in the area. Thanks again. Steve & Lynette
Didn't you mean infamous? I am hardly famous!
Maybe we could make it down that way for a couple of days if it is during my time off...just give me a bit of advance notice...
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
Kel

Cajon Pass on I-15

I like the alt. desert route that Ronnie Bledsoe described but the grade on the I-15 is called Cajon Pass. Cuesta Grade is on Hwy 101 just north of San Luis Obispo. Kel
Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #20

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Thanks for the correction...I get them confused
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS ALL!! Great help. So, taking a 45 ftr. towing IS doable to visit the San Francisco area. Sure like the idea of using that "BARTS" transportation suggestion. Now all we've got to do is review in detail all the suggestions, and....dive in!! CAN'T WAIT!! Thanks again. Steve & Lynette
Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #22

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

BART is excellent for getting into the City and the downtown area. Unfortunately it is not like the NYsubway or DC Metro...once into SF the city bus lines are the only means (other than taxi) to visit the wharf, Golden Gate Park, and other sites off of the main BART line. Maybe Grey line tours.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Petaluma KOA has (info a few years old, best to check) a shuttle that takes folks into SF.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
I do love the Encore Resort in Pacifica for the ocean views. This is the campground south of the city. People complain of it's "Parking Lot" atmosphere because it is all asphalt lot...but you do have the views!

Chickadee, I would not stay in that park if they gave it to me rent free. A friend of mine just move in last week and he replace every screw with a stainless and it is his wife job to wash the rig every day. I'll see if they are keeping up with the fight of the salt in three months.. I hope you have more pride in you rig than to place it in a 24 hour salt bath.

I have stayed at Candle Stick RV Park and it puts you close to lots of things.You will hear some gun shots occasionally but I think the city folks accept that as normal. When I stayed there one weekend the 49ers played the Lions so I thought why not go being that close. Scalpers wanted $100 for end zone tickets, the person that pulled in next to me asked if I wanted to buy a ticket for $45 and I said sure. It ended up I was on the 50 yard line five rows up. What a good time...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
A few years back we visited SF and stayed in the area for 2 weeks. It was late November and we enjoyed it. Weather wise it was perfect for visiting.
We were coming from the north. The 1st week we stayed at the Petaluma KOA, and used that cg as a base to visit the around the wine country . I found it to far, and too much traffic to use it as a base to visit SF proper.

So after a week we moved to the Candle stick RV Park. Although it's like a parking lot, we were there only in the early morning and at night. I found security good and proximity to everything excellent. We are avid bikers and used our bikes to get into town. We were loading the bikes on the toad, driving a few miles towards downtown, then finding a cheap parking spot, and biking the rest of the way.

To get there from SoCal, get on 101 north and at exit 429 B, you exit towards the cg, its only 1.5 miles from the expressway exit. I've recommended this cg to several friends who used it to visit SF and they loved it.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #26

The RV park in Pacifica is the San Francisco RV Park, It sits on the ocean and the view is wonderful. It is about 30 minutes south of SF. The Elks lodge in Petaluma is full hookup and about 1 hr. North. If you stay North of the bridge and commute to SF you will be paying a $5 toll to cross the bridge. The toll is paid when going south only. If you are taking the MH North across the bridge to Marin county or further, DO NOT take Hwy 101 thru SF. Take Hwy 280 to 19th Ave North to the bridge. When coming to the bridge, stay in the right hand lane as the sign states. If the weather is good, there is not a better city to visit. Oct. and Nov. are great months to visit SF.

Enjoy, Ron
Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #27

Chick, can I call you Chick?

Way back in 01, when we were new to the RV (full timing) life style, I mean we had just bought our rig in AZ, we drove to the coast to head to AK, we stayed at Half Moon Bay State Beach. It was great and close enough to S.F. Don't know all the status now with CA's budget problems and all, but just a glimpse at their web site, they take reservation and have WiFi. Length should not be a problem, but you can check.

Enjoy Frisco, ( I know, natives don't like 'Frisco', but I picked that up as a sailor some forty years ago!)

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #28

Good directions by Ronnie and some very helpful hints from everyone. We just got back from Arizona and followed 101 from Santa Barbara on to San Jose. Like Ronnie said if your not in a hurry and want some very pretty scenery that is the route to take. Will not be a problem for you or your rig. We've stayed at both Pacifica and Alameda County (Pleasenton) fairgrounds and both very convenient and you have access to whereever you want to go. Pacifica is more expensive but while parked there we watched whales sounding in the ocean and even sat through a Pacific Ocean storm. Which ever route you choose or wherever you stay, you'll have a great time.