Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #29

I think you might want to check with Caltrans before going up CA 1 with a 45 footer. I'm pretty sure they are not allowed on 1 as well as many other highways in CA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
OldChief7155:

Yup, your caution about using CA 1 and other CA routes, accessing San Francisco (and other parts of California) in a 45' rig is one of the reasons we've been reluctant to even consider visiting and spending (ahem!..SPENDING) time and money. We'd SURE like to visit, but....... it's still at this point a BIG maybe. Steve & Lynette

Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #31

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I am not advocating breaking the law, but here goes what and where I have been on California roads and Hwys.
What I do. My intent is to ensure that a police officer has no cause to pull me over. My license plates on my RV and Toad are from the same state, I carry current registration and proof of insurance for both vehicles. Everyday that I drive I do a complete walkaround to ensure that lights work properly, all awnings are closed, cargo doors are locked and secure. I check all attach points on tow mechanism (I have toad braking system and break-away). At every rest stop I walk around the vehicle to see if any thing has changed. Although I don't check the tires daily with an air gauge I do use a steel bar to pound on the duals and tag to ensure they have not lost air. I maintain my speed at 55MPH +or-3. I use only the slow and middle lane or fast lane for passing. I believe that in doing these things I give the police no reason for stopping me. I have been passed, followed and met all police agencies and have no problem.
I have been driving California roads in my 43' M/H for 4 years. I have been on most Interstates (no restrictions by law), US Hwys, and State/County roads. On narrow winding roads I use my toad. Specifically Hwy 1. Although one can use almost all of this Hwy it can be difficult and pose a problem to other travelers as it is 2 lane with few pull outs to allow traffic to pass. As I have previouly posted I leave the majority of my Hwy 1 travel in my toad, using RV parks as a home base. For example Flags in Buellton for visiting Santa Barbara, Sant Inez Valley and wineries. Pismo Beach for Hwy 1 to visit Morro Bay, Hearst Castle etc. Moss Landing for visiting Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur. North of San Francisco I use Petaluma for Drives on Hwy 1 thru Bodega Bay to Duncan Mills (then inland to Santa Rosa). For Ft Bragg and Mendocino I stay in Willits. Hwy 101 provides access to all of these points and for the most part is divided 4 lane hwy. Those areas that are 2 lane are wide and almost all have shoulders.
I have diven Hwy 99 from South of Bakersfield to Sacramento, Hwy 50 From Sac to Carson City Nv. Hwy 58 from Bakersfield to Barstow. And so on. I try to be cautious and use common sense in driving this almost 60' combination and believe that in doing so I avoid cause for police action.
This is a long post an I apologize that, but believe there is no reason not to visit California in a 40+ ft RV.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Steve last year we stayed in the Delta region about 1 hour ride to SF. We used I-80 to go back and forth. While in the area we found a deal and stayed at the "Comfort INN at the Bay". Made the stay even better. Mid-week 50% off.
While in area visit Muir Woods and make sure you stop at the Jelly Belly factory just off I-80. I think it was in Stockton.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
Steve last year we stayed in the Delta region about 1 hour ride to SF. We used I-80 to go back and forth. While in the area we found a deal and stayed at the "Comfort INN at the Bay". Made the stay even better. Mid-week 50% off.
While in area visit Muir Woods and make sure you stop at the Jelly Belly factory just off I-80. I think it was in Stockton.
Jelly Belly is in Vacaville. (Stockton is off of I-5 and Hwy 99)
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #34

Jelly Belly factory is actually in Fairfield at the Junction of I 80 and Ca. 12, about 35 miles West of the Delta area..
Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
Chick, can I call you Chick?

Way back in 01, when we were new to the RV (full timing) life style, I mean we had just bought our rig in AZ, we drove to the coast to head to AK, we stayed at Half Moon Bay State Beach. It was great and close enough to S.F. Don't know all the status now with CA's budget problems and all, but just a glimpse at their web site, they take reservation and have WiFi. Length should not be a problem, but you can check.

Enjoy Frisco, ( I know, natives don't like 'Frisco', but I picked that up as a sailor some forty years ago!)

Harold

I think this one is first come first serve, no reservations.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
O.K.!!!!!!!!! JellyBelly Factory!!!!! We're comin NOW, for SURE!!! Steve
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
O.K.!!!!!!!!! JellyBelly Factory!!!!! We're comin NOW, for SURE!!! Steve
SacsTC looked at me the other night and said.. "Did you know there was a Jelly Belly Factory near us?" (ugh-oh!! ) That was when I realized I made a mistake not mentioning it years ago!!!

Here is a link to it...

We may have to take the tour with you!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #38

Maybe we could have an iRV2 Jelly Belly rally!!