Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
How's Rt. 23 frm. Mackinac Bridge South??

G'morning iRV2'rs:

Say, just checking. We're thinking about starting to migrate South (eventually to Florida) from Minneapolis, Minnesota. We're taking our son back home to the Tampa area since he was up North here visiting relatives following his retirement after 22 yrs. in the Air Force (EOD) and many tours in the Middle East.

ANYWAY....our son has never been over the Mackinac Bridge so we're thinking about running E. from Mpls, through the U.P (Upper Peninsula) THEN head her South. However, we've never taken Route #23 (from S. end of bridge) along the Lake Huron side of Michigan, and were looking for a little input from fellow iRV2'rs who might know this route. Got a 45' MH w. toad and wondering about road condition, camping suggestions, and, for me, what's the best way to get past Detroit, and Toledo once were back on I-75 at the Southerly end of 23 on our way South?

Any help out there???? THANKS.

Steve & Lynette

2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
OH!!....Nobody's been there hey! Guess we'll skip it and fire South down I-75 instead.

Steve & Lynette

2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe there was a post on this not to long ago but then again it might have been on another site as well. I've not done it but from what I've read the drive is great (lots of scenery along the shoreline) to just South of Alpena where it directs you back to I-75. You might do a search and find that posting. Hope this helps a little.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just finished driving 23 north to Mackinaw City and its a nice drive and no problems with our MH. On friday we are heading for Findlay Ohio and we will follow 75 down to south of Flint and then cha nge over to I 23 to the Toledo bypass.
Should miss all the Detroit and Toledo trafffic that way.
Good luck
Vice President Operations
Family Campers & RVers
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F53
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
You would be going by my old Air Force base that I was stationed at 1962 to 1966. Wurtsmith AFB at Oscoda, Mi. Base was closed many years ago. I made that trip along time ago and it was a very scenic. I went from Oscoda to LaCross Wi. Bridge is beautiful at night. John
Rockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We did it this summer. It's a very nice drive, quite easy with a moho. Stay on Rt-23 south of Flint. I-75 seems to go out of the way routing all the way over to the east side of MI, through Detroit traffic, only to come back west again to go thru the west side of OH. Rt-23 is much more direct. Enjoy the trip.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
We stayed at Harrisville State Park. Some sites back right onto the beach. It is just outside Harrisville. Hwy 23 is a pretty drive. Often you can see the lake. Happy travels.
portliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to the web site below.. They have a page for construction updates and such.

MDOT - Michigan Department of Transportation

Most of the route is I-75 and far as I know no problems but my knowledge is .. Limited, from Flint south you pick up US-23 and that is where you are most likely to find construciton, but it's been a while since I drove that hunk.. If you need re-routing just ask.. I do the flint-Detroit bit often enough.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote