RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

The Utah NP's I have in my schedule right now is Zion and Bryce. I know there are others, but they will be way out of my way.

The other southern Utah parks are really not out of the way. As long as you're in the area you really should work them in. . . Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands.

Below are some more questions.

Which would you prefer the North Rim of the GC or Lake Powell? Since you will be in Tucson and if you're seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time, I'd recommend the South Rim. Stay inside the park at Trailer Village for the best experience. We love the North Rim as it's much more quiet but you have smaller viewing areas unless you have a 4x4 and drive some of the forest roads. Lake Powell? You will be driving right by it. Do Antelope Canyon tour, take a tour of the dam. Rent a boat or take a boat tour.

Is the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole driveable in a car to sightseer from the Idaho Falls area? No.... it's much too far to do justice to the Tetons. We like that park better than Yellowstone in some ways. Great hiking for all abilities; take the gentle raft trip in the park down the Snake River and you just might see a moose in the water with you. We did! There's a rodeo in Jackson. You need to stay IN the park, if possible. From there you can easily enter Yellowstone from the south entrance of Yellowstone. Stay at Colter Bay RV if you want hookups or Colter Bay campground right next door without hookups. Or stay closer to the town of Jackson at Gros Ventre campground IN the park. Each of those campgrounds have 300 non-reservable campsites with a handful of electric sites. Going early in the season you might even snag an electric one. We've always gotten a site in the campgrounds without reservations during all seasons.
What is your planned driving route? Perhaps we can refine it a little for you. You will be driving high 'hills'. Don't think of it as being in mountains all the time, as you won't. You'll be a pro before it's over and wonder why you were worrying about it!

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
If I could find a more central campground location I would be happy to see more of Utah. I am looking at Zion River Resort and Cannonville/Bryce Valley KOA for now. If I could find a central location for the other areas it would be great.

I already planned on Grand Canyon Camper Village and something at Page, AZ for Lake Powell.

When I leave the Utah NP's I plan on heading up I-15 through Salt Lake City all the way up to Idaho Falls and then cut up to Grizzly RV at Yellowstone.

I have several pictures framed that I took while floating the Snake River while at that area 30+ years ago.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
If I could find a more central campground location I would be happy to see more of Utah. I am looking at Zion River Resort and Cannonville/Bryce Valley KOA for now. If I could find a central location for the other areas it would be great.

No wonder when you finish a trip and are exhausted - Stay where you are visiting - Don't try to do two Utah parks other than Arches and Canyonlands from one location, they are just not that Close to each other.

For this area - SouthWest, Utah - Page - Slot Canyons - Lake Powell - North Rim - Horseshoe Bend - Monument Valley - Goosenecks - Mexican Hat - Zion and Kolob Canyon at Zion (if construction is Finished on roads) - Bryce Canyon - Kodachrome - Escalante - RT 12 Escalante SP - Capitol Reef NP - Goblins SP - Green River SP - Moab/Arches/Canyonlands as you head to Dino NM and then on over to Park City and SLC before heading up to Jackson to West Yellowstone on to Cody - Might have added some and missed a few but at least this takes care of your 90 day Trip....... https://binged.it/2D575ZP -

Better add a few more months Started in Canyon de Chelly - missed GC but that's easy, ended in Cody

My guess is that 90 days is needed and you will see a lot and rest a Little.

Still I've left enough out you can return soon to catch what you missed.

I already planned on Grand Canyon Camper Village and something at Page, AZ for Lake Powell.

When I leave the Utah NP's I plan on heading up I-15 through Salt Lake City all the way up to Idaho Falls and then cut up to Grizzly RV at Yellowstone.

I have several pictures framed that I took while floating the Snake River while at that area 30+ years ago.
Might need to go by and try to recreate those images - that would look awesome.

Easy when I'm sitting on the Computer - Been to all - and will hopefully go to all a few more times. ------
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #18

Grand Canyon - Trailer Village; not Camper Village which is outside the park

Page, AZ - Take 64 east out of Grand Canyon to 89 north to Waheap RV in Page

Zion - Watchman c.g. in the park - the easiest and avoiding the Zion Tunnels and steep downhill is from Page, AZ take 89 west and then a little south to Fredonia, AZ then pick up 389 which becomes UT59 taking you into Hurricane. Then Hwy 9 east to the park. Leaving, you won't like the tunnels so backtrack on 9 to I-15 north and take Hwy 20 east to 89 south to Panguitch. Then 12 east to Bryce. (Don't take 14 instead of 20; you won't like it)

For Bryce and hookups Ruby's is your best bet. Right at the park entrance and the free shuttle stops there. Restaurant, fuel.

For Capitol Reef - many parks are in nearby Torrey, UT. Take UT12 to Torrey - gorgeous drive taking you through Escalante Nat'l Park.

For Arches/Canyonlands - many parks in Moab. From Torrey take UT24 to I-70 east and pick up 191 south to Moab

From Moab take 191 north to Price and pick up UT6 to Spanish Fork, UT at I-15. OR... 191 north to Duchesne then 40 to Heber City (RV parks) Then I-84 to Ogden, Ut to I-15 to Idaho Falls and 20 to W. Yellowstone. OR....at Idaho Falls take 26 east to Alpine, WY then north on 26/89 to Jackson, WY and into Grand Teton Nat'l Park. Stay in Grand Teton.

From Grand Teton NP go north through the park into Yellowstone Nat'l Park to W. Yellowstone
Old 02-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Grand Canyon - Trailer Village; not Camper Village which is outside the park

Page, AZ - Take 64 east out of Grand Canyon to 89 north to Waheap RV in Page

Zion - Watchman c.g. in the park - the easiest and avoiding the Zion Tunnels and steep downhill is from Page, AZ take 89 west and then a little south to Fredonia, AZ then pick up 389 which becomes UT59 taking you into Hurricane. Then Hwy 9 east to the park. Leaving, you won't like the tunnels so backtrack on 9 to I-15 north and take Hwy 20 east to 89 south to Panguitch. Then 12 east to Bryce. (Don't take 14 instead of 20; you won't like it)

For Bryce and hookups Ruby's is your best bet. Right at the park entrance and the free shuttle stops there. Restaurant, fuel.

For Capitol Reef - many parks are in nearby Torrey, UT. Take UT12 to Torrey - gorgeous drive taking you through Escalante Nat'l Park.

For Arches/Canyonlands - many parks in Moab. From Torrey take UT24 to I-70 east and pick up 191 south to Moab

From Moab take 191 north to Price and pick up UT6 to Spanish Fork, UT at I-15. OR... 191 north to Duchesne then 40 to Heber City (RV parks) Then I-84 to Ogden, Ut to I-15 to Idaho Falls and 20 to W. Yellowstone. OR....at Idaho Falls take 26 east to Alpine, WY then north on 26/89 to Jackson, WY and into Grand Teton Nat'l Park. Stay in Grand Teton.

From Grand Teton NP go north through the park into Yellowstone Nat'l Park to W. Yellowstone

I have your route mapped out and thanks for the Trailer Village correction. Will I be able to drive Hwy 12 with a 40' motorhome plus toad?

Would 3 nights be enough at each of Utah's NP? At this point I have to start thinking about a budget. Without the stops going back home from the Dakota's I am over 60 nights and the total mileage will be over 6,000 miles.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with all of twogypsies assessments. Of these, I think Trailer Village and Watchman are the highest priorities. The parks are more than adequate, not having to fight the crowds and the drives in/out of the park will allow more quality time and a relaxing experience.

When were were at Zion last Fall, we were only visiting for a day hike. As we approached the gate there was a 1/4 mi line of cars backed up, and signs saying ALL PARKING LOTS FULL inside the park. Since we knew where we were going to a trailhead away from the main activities, we proceeded and found parking. The visitor center and shuttle parking was indeed full to capacity. If you are camping at Watchman you don't have to deal with that. We camped there a few years ago when we were there for a week and it's within walking distance from the visitor center and shuttles.

Trailer Village oofers the same advantage. There are miles of paved hike / bike trails and shuttle pick up at the RV park.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #21

Yes, for the trip you're doing 3 nights is fine. Yellowstone is huge so you may want to add another night or two. More is always best. Even a day of relaxing around the campsite is nice to do. If you're hikers some parks are better than others for it, especially easy/moderate hikes. Everyone is different. If you find you would like to spend more time in the park you can always come back and concentrate on your favorites and add additional.

Some folks don't like Hwy 12 but we absolutely love it. There's a section of a couple miles long that scares folks because of no guard rails. The highway is the same width as everywhere else so if you're good at staying in your lane before approaching that section you'll be just fine. It'll be over before you realize it! You'll also have a climb up to Torrey but your motorhome is fully capable of doing it. It's a gorgeous drive. Stay a night in Escalante if you want to take the toad out exploring a little. Many big RVs drive it and some semi trucks so it's very doable.

Here's a good planner for Hwy 12: https://scenicbyway12.com/
Old 02-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Being the biggest expense is the miles of getting to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and North from South Alabama I am thinking about doing it all in a huge trip instead if this is possible. I have been working on planning the following locations in two trips, but I am thinking why not take a huge one instead. I would like to avoid the hot summer plus the crowds if possible. I also would like to avoid any chance of snow and freezing temperatures. My initial thought was to leave in April and start at the Southern end and the Dakotas last before heading back home.

1) Tucson area to see wife's kinfolk
2) Grand Canyon - both North and South
3) Utah National Parks (Zion, Bryce, etc.)
4) Grand Teton National Park
5) Yellowstone National Park
6) Glacier National Park
7) North and South Dakota (Devils Mountain, Mt. Rushmore, etc.)
I’ve wanted to add a few general thoughts / considerations the trip above or any similar trip based on our travels.

We will be taking our 3rd extended trip west over 4 years this summer. Each trip is both unique but also overlaps the others. You just can’t do it any other way; so much to see and do, and there are areas you go you want to go back to and / or find even more places along they way that you just can’t add in on one trip.

Ex: summer ‘16 included Missoula and West Glacier, summer ‘19 we’ll get to East Glacier and Polson (anyone feeling sorry for us yet? ).

For “extended trips” you have to build in “off time” within some of your stops just to take care of “life” and catch your breath. We’ve even built in “relax a few days or a week” stops (Polson is kind of like that this summer).

We’ve also found that “order” of stops vs. perceived “must see” / expectations factor does play a role in how enjoyable or “special” a place may be. There are the “A” places, “B” places, and others. If you’ve been to a bunch of “A”s and then go to a “B”, that “B” just might undeservedly seem bit underwhelming (Garden if the Gods in Colorado Springs and Momument Valley are examples of that for us).

After a while you’ll be able to see similarities across various “types” of towns at / near major destinations. Yes, unfortunately they are getting a bit too homogenized.

The roads in the west are simply amazing, even I70 is spectacular in places. There are mountains in the west, and hence mountain roads and long grades to deal with. Everyone has a comfort level, be cognizant of it, and it’s your responsibility to understand the safest way to drive your RV on mountain grades / roads. It seems to me, that while many of the west mountain roads may be steeper and / or longer than those in the east, many of the roadways themselves are more suitable for large RVs (wider lanes, easier curves to maneuver on switch backs, more pull offs, etc.).

But, the more comfortable you are on the secondary US/State routes / grades etc., the more choices you have open to you as far as places to see and how to get there. UT12 from Bryce to Torrey, UT (previously mentioned in this thread) is simply spectacular particularly between Escalante and Torrey - it’s very unique and nothing like it anywhere else I’ve seen or driven. As the driver it will keep your attention so you won’t be able to take it all in, but even then what you do get to see is unforgettable.

Altitude makes a difference, be cognizant of it and understand how you acclimate to it when planning your activities.

Everyone has a different plan for long “transit legs”, how many miles per day etc.; only you know what you are comfortable with, so manage your time / distance accordingly so you aren’t burnt out when you get to your real destinations.

When in doubt about how long to stay someplace, add a day or two if you can for your major / priority destinations. Again, pacing yourself will make your trip more enjoyable.

Oh, and for those that it may not be obvious to, twogypsies and busskipper know what they are talking about, and we should all appreciate the time and effort they take to help us all. Thanks again to both of you.

Hope this is helpful.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #23

We have been taking vacation the month of September.
All national parks are still very crowded..
We don't make reservations. Mid September West Yellowstone was booked. Could only get 1 night 20 miles outside entrance on a weeknight...
Do some planning , stare parks ? Stay maybe 1 hour away & drive in...
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #24

This is a very good thread for me.
We are looking st leaving Tennessee after the 4th of July and begin our 1st big trip. We want to make sure and go to Yellowstone, GTNP and Jackson before going down to the Utah parks. Then across country back to our home in Florida.
We are wide open on route options as wheather to go up through Michigan and the UP and across. Whether to go to Glacier and on up to Banff.
So many options.
Thanks for letting us lurk on this discussion.

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Is there a chart somewhere showing when the "Going to the Sun Road" has opened in the past?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Is there a chart somewhere showing when the "Going to the Sun Road" has opened in the past?
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/...-6-26-2017.pdf

A couple of thoughts:
> try out myscenicdrives.com for planning. I find it more robust than TW (more flexibility for annotating things to do at each stop)
> UT12 is easily doable in a 40' MH
> if you just want a 'sampler-tour' tour then 3 days at each stop may be OK. I'm sure it will you wanting to return but you'll know where to focus the next time.
> fwiw... my trip this summer starts mid April and I'll only get to in mid June. But I plan on 3 weeks just along UT 12 (Bryce, Kodachrome, Escalante, Torrey). I'll be another 3 months just for north Utah, Montana, Wyoming and back to Colorado.
There is A LOT to see out there!
> Planning is half the fun!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/...-6-26-2017.pdf

A couple of thoughts:
> try out myscenicdrives.com for planning. I find it more robust than TW (more flexibility for annotating things to do at each stop)
> UT12 is easily doable in a 40' MH
> if you just want a 'sampler-tour' tour then 3 days at each stop may be OK. I'm sure it will you wanting to return but you'll know where to focus the next time.
> fwiw... my trip this summer starts mid April and I'll only get to in mid June. But I plan on 3 weeks just along UT 12 (Bryce, Kodachrome, Escalante, Torrey). I'll be another 3 months just for north Utah, Montana, Wyoming and back to Colorado.
There is A LOT to see out there!
> Planning is half the fun!
Thanks for the info. I have no problem staying a few days longer (4 or 5 compared to 3) at each of the Utah NP or anywhere else. What I don't want to do is get to the point that everything looks the same and I feel like I am wasting my time by staying longer.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have no problem staying a few days longer (4 or 5 compared to 3) at each of the Utah NP or anywhere else. What I don't want to do is get to the point that everything looks the same and I feel like I am wasting my time by staying longer.
Ray,

The thing I see here is, to me it appears you are not really into these National Parks, Not sure you Understand just how special each and everyone is, to Many of us they are sort of Like Sunday and going to Church, sure it's the same place every week but the message is ever changing.

So in my case, I can go to say Zion and do a hike or two, come back and do them again and everything is different - the Weather - the time of Day - the Shadows - just the way I feel - all different but all sort of the same, Just Good. Then as we leave, we, DW, Son's, Grand Kids, whomever we are with, we all start to plan the next trip, why, because "We" enjoyed it, No We Loved It.

Take Zion again - it's Summer it is like an Ant Hill, just crawling with People - Not for me - so what can I do - Possibly Kolob Canyon (Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP - Iron Mission SP - Cedar Breaks SP - Brian Head Ski Resort - Kodachrome - Kanab -.....-.....-....on and on) - Still People here, just not as many (why you ask, because you have to HIKE to see things, most people just want to do the tour, not take a Hike) - https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/kolob.cfm - Most people have set aside just a limited amount of TIME, so they run out of Time.

You are trying to get Us to tell You what You should DO.

Don't think it can Happen. What You like and what I like are just different - shoot what I Like and what My DW likes are Different but we still do all these things together .

If things start, at any point on your Grand Trip to the West, to look the same or that you feel you are wasting your time - then I'd suggest you just pull into a Little Known State Park and Park or NF CG - Stop - just Rest and Relax for a few days - Set up - Sit down - Pour a beverage - grab a book - and just Breathe the Air and Look at the sky watch the Clouds. IMHO this NEVER Looks or Feels the Same!

Life is Good, usually, it's the Journey that is the most fun, not always the destination. So if you must Plan .... Plan get it all set - but every now and then Plan to take a break - Plan to Recharge - Relax - Reset.

I seldom Make reservations - seldom have more that a general idea where to go - but always Just Love Going.

Hope this is of some help, not trying to Preach just trying to Help.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip