Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #29

Being I am a flatlander I really do not know what to expect in Utah. I have seen pictures, but I am sure they do not do justice. My experience many years ago was only driving through parts of Colorado. The reason I brought up the chance of seeing the same thing over and over was I read something about getting bored with seeing the same thing over and over.

I had a trip fully booked for Utah a few years ago, but I had to cancel. We bought new hiking boots and everything for hiking. We still want to do this on the upcoming trips. I understand it would be impossible to see everything in one trip. But I am trying to figure out a happy medium to see as much as we can, but to also not overdo where we are too tired to do anything. I was thinking of being active one day and lazy the next day I have to account also that nothing can be planned for the arrival and departure days, so these would be the lazy days. This is why I am thinking 5 nights at each stop. I did read something that this one person said 3 nights was enough for him, but everyone is different.

I may also add a night or two to my overnight stops between each section of the trip to recharge.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The reason I brought up the chance of seeing the same thing over and over was I read something about getting bored with seeing the same thing over and over.

I may also add a night or two to my overnight stops between each section of the trip to recharge.

How many trails can you hike and still enjoy the last one?
How many mountains and canyons do you want to see?
How many forests can you admire?
What other activities (off-roading, hunting, water sports etc) will you want to do?

We have visited all your target destinations at one time or another. Each have unique appeal and were appreciated in our personal manner.

We have to drive 1,000 miles or so to visit most of them.

But visiting all those great destinations on a tight time table seems counterproductive to having fun and exploring them fully.

Several individual trips to enjoy the destinations at your leisure would be my recommendation.

YMMV
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Leaving in April (or mid-March): Go clockwise.

Leaving in late April/early May: Go counterclockwise.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #32

You're getting concerned about becoming bored. I really doubt that will happen. The national parks are all completely different. You're not going to see the same things. For instance, the southern Utah parks are completely different in looks. Zion - you're on the valley floor looking up. Bryce - you're on the rim and definitely need to go hiking below the rim to experience the fairyland down there. Arches - awesome formations like you'll see nowhere else.

Also, you don't have to be in 'vacation mode' all the time since you're retired. It's not a crime to take days off and just relax around the RV. It will be quiet because everyone else will be out touring.

Or pack a cooler and find a pleasant picnic spot to have lunch. Bring your chairs and a book and spend a few hours along a stream or on a lakeshore - even if you have to drive a little outside the park to find a quiet spot.

Plan to do your hikes leaving early morning. The trails will be more relaxing to walk with less people and then you'll have the afternoon to relax. I think you'll find your sweet spot on how you will spend the day.

Look at each national park's web site and there's a section of "things to do" with good ideas. I hope you'll return and let us know how the trip went; what you wouldn't advise and what you'd definitely do again.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:15 AM   #33

I have revamped my stops before getting to the Grand Canyon which is the start of the main reason of the trip. This will allow me to add more nights to each stop. The one location that I want to be finished before it gets too crowded is Yellowstone. Right now I would arrive there the first or second week of June. This would put me at East Glacier the third or fourth week of June. I need to find some attendance records for YNP to check.

As far as hiking goes I will not be able to do strenuous long hikes due to knee/back issues. When I had this booked three years ago I did not have these issues. We do a lot of walking and exercise, but on flat ground. I am assuming this will cut out a lot of trails, but hopefully not to many.

Below are the nights at the major stops for now. There will be some stops in between some of these for 1 or 2 nights.

Grand Canyon - South - 7 nights
Grand Canyon - North - 4 nights
Zion NP - 5 nights
Bryce NP - 5 nights
Capital Reef NP - 4 nights
Canyonlands NP - 5 nights
Yellowstone NP - 7 nights
West Glacier - 5 nights
East Glacier - 5 nights
Blackhills - 3 nights
Mt. Rushmore - 3 nights
Old 02-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #34

This is certainly interesting.
I'm trying to figure out some kind of itinerary. How many days here and how many there??? I don't think we'll spend that many days at each of the locations, but still good information.

Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #35

rubenray Do you have reservations for all of those sites???
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
rubenray Do you have reservations for all of those sites???
No - my trip is not until 2020.

I am thinking I would need to start making reservations at the end of this year for next May/June.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #37

I’m looking to do the same 2020 trip. Doing Yellowstone and West Glacier this year and planning most of the same places that you listed next year.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #38

You asked about visitation usage in June. Here is the chart for Yellowstone. You can find lots of good information on each national park website so definitely click on every 'clicky' offered. This was under 'FAQ' section.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...ationstats.htm

Your new schedule looks good but I question the 11 days for Grand Canyon. Even though you're visiting both sections, I think you could use the days better in your other traveling or add time for Grand Teton Nat'l Park which you don't have on your schedule. I think 3 days at each section would be plenty and at the North Rim some of those 3 days would, most likely, be relaxing time. The North Rim isn't a big area to cover unless you're doing off-roading in the national forest or heavy duty hiking down the Rim. It is worth seeing though. It's a lot cooler than the South Rim.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You asked about visitation usage in June. Here is the chart for Yellowstone. You can find lots of good information on each national park website so definitely click on every 'clicky' offered. This was under 'FAQ' section.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...ationstats.htm

Your new schedule looks good but I question the 11 days for Grand Canyon. Even though you're visiting both sections, I think you could use the days better in your other traveling or add time for Grand Teton Nat'l Park which you don't have on your schedule. I think 3 days at each section would be plenty and at the North Rim some of those 3 days would, most likely, be relaxing time. The North Rim isn't a big area to cover unless you're doing off-roading in the national forest or heavy duty hiking down the Rim. It is worth seeing though. It's a lot cooler than the South Rim.
I reduced the nights at GC and added Grand Teton. RVTW has me taking I-15 from Salt Lake City to Hwy 30 to Hwy 34 to Hwy 89 over to Hwy 191. Is this route OK for a 40' motorhome plus toad?
Old 02-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Remember - this is just my opinion (everbody has one as HG Wells once said); and consider that I've been to these places at least once (more at most locations).....

Grand Canyon - South - 7 nights - too long; maybe only need one solid day at the rim including a sunset, 2 at best unless you want to hike partway into and out of the canyon; if staying at Williams then maybe add a day; if taking the train from Williams add one day.

Grand Canyon - North - 4 nights - too long; unless hiking everyday one day is plenty; if staying in Kanab and just taking a day trip to the N rim then maybe add 2 days for things around Kanab (hikes, sites, etc)

Zion NP - 5 nights - haven't been here in a looooooong time; hate the idea of being bused in and out; if not seen before and not taking long hikes then I think 2 to 3 days inside the park would be OK

Bryce NP - 5 nights maybe too long; other than hikes, only 2 days needed to sightsee from the rim; add one day for each hike as many are moderate to strenuous (more or less so depending on heat)

Capital Reef NP - 4 nights - I'm staying 7 nights this time but I have about 8 hikes in mind and will decide which to take once there; I've allowed myself a day or so to just chill out

Canyonlands NP - 5 nights - waaaay too long even tho it takes a while to get in and out; be sure to spend at least one day/evening/night for the sunset and night sky watching; add a day or two to go to Arches while in the area (beware of crowds and get reservations early!)

Yellowstone NP - 7 nights - seems like you've allowed plenty of time to cover all of the park, hang out at geysers, and tour; lots of drive time involved at this park

West Glacier - 5 nights - Can't decide - need at least one day to travel up to Logan Pass; maybe a longer day if you drive all the way to St Mary on the same day; on the East side you can also tour to the north area (Many Glacier) and to the south (Two Medicine)

East Glacier - 5 nights - now you've really overkilled Glacier.
Go to Waterton Park instead - the Canadian side of Glacier; stay at Waterton for 4 nights.

Blackhills - 3 nights, Mt. Rushmore - 3 nights maybe I don't understand "Blackhills" well enough (my DW tells me I don't understand a lot of stuff ) but this sounds like the same area to me. 6 nights is more than enough for Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Bad Lands (& Wall Drugs), Deadwood, Custer State Park, etc.

other notes: Maybe consider staying Escalante instead of so long at Bryce; plenty of hikes & sights there. Absolutely get the GyPSy Guide app and the Just Ahead app for your smartphone; it will be the best money you ever spent for touring where you are going.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #41

Can do in one trip but....

Have yet to read all posts and are interested in insights on seeing/driving Utah. Canyon Land, Escalante, Zion, Bryce, Salt Lake City.

Below is our 2018 trip. Left Southern Maryland June 1 (grandson last day of school). 14000 miles, 7500 towing. 78 days on the road. We made reservations for all RV parks, made them early for those near National Parks/Monuments. Constrained by need to get grandson to Vegas in time to meet his parents, do a show or two with them, they fly back for kids college. More leisurely after that. Try to keep under 250 miles between camp grounds.

Some places would like to have stayed a bit longer but most were about right. You can almost always find stuff to see and do if you want a more leisurely trip.

Going back to New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska etc. this year not final but likely to be longer than 2018 trip. No grand kids coming along this time so more leisurely.

Did Pikes Peak, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Nebraska (eclipse) in 2017.

We are 73, have COPD so hiking not our cup of tea. We use Good Sams trip planner, Streets and Trips, Trip Advisor, and Excel spreadsheet to set up our trips, figure out when we'll be where, what to see there and on the way, how many days to stay, and then make RV park reservations. We also use Allstays Truck and Travel, Big Truck Stops apps to double check Good Sams low clearances, restrictions, etc. 55 gallon fuel capacity so avoid truck stops enroute, use Gasbuddy after unhitch 5th wheel to find less expensive fuel.

RV Park Location objective days to and at
Wytheville VA overnight 1
Nashville TN Grand Ole Opry etc 3
West Memphis AR Graceland, Riverboat ride 2
Checotah OK overnight 1
Amarillo TX overnight 1
Albuquerque NM Sandia Peak, Zoo, Botanical Gardens, etc. 3
Holbrook AZ Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert 2
Williams AZ Grand Canyon (by train) 2
Las Vegas NV meet family, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon West Rim, Vegas sights 5
Ridgecrest CA meet friends 1
Visalia CA Sequoia, Kings Canyon Natl Park 2
Coarsegold CA Yosemite Natl Park 2
W Sacramento CA visit family tour area 7
Redding CA overnight 1
Arcata CA Redwoods, tour area 1
Roseburg OR Crater Lake, Oregon Coast 3
Troutdale OR Portland Area, Dalles, 4
Castle Rock WA Mt St Helens 3
Kent WA Seattle Area 4
Wilbur WA Grand Coulee Dam, overnight 1
Spokane Valley WA Spokane area 3
St. Regis MT overnight to W Glacier 1
West Glacier MT Glacier 2
St. Mary MT East Glacier 2
Great Falls MT area sights 2
Butte MT area sights 2
Billings MT area sights 2
Miles City MT overnight 1
Dickinson ND T Roosevelt Natl Park, overnight 1
Casselton ND Fargo area, overnight 1
Apple Valley MN visit family tour area 3
Milton WI visit family 3
Remington IN overnight 1
Dayton OH Air Force Museum 3
Charleroi PA overnight 1
Home MD 1
762vram2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #42

By the time we decided to make the trip it was too late to get reservations inside or proximate to the park. We stayed at KOA in Cody, WY, about an hour east of the park. Used Tripadvisor to find a guide who knew the park. He lived in Cody, picked us up at 6 AM and got us back by 6 to 7 PM (depending on traffic in the park). First day did "north loop", did "south loop" the second day. He is a retired geologist and professional photographer. He knew where the wildlife was being seen, how to avoid most of the crowds, when and where to stop for lunch, etc. He could explain a lot about the "underpinnings" of the area. DW appreciated his hints on taking photos. And I didn't have to drive, could fully enjoy the scenery.
762vram2043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip