Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #57

Entegra Owners Club
We made almost an identical trip last summer. We didn't do the Grand Canyon because we had been there several times but did stop at all the others you mentioned - and a few more. Make sure you put the "Just Ahead" app on a cell phone before you go on the trip - it's worth it and amazingly accurate when you download areas in advance (no cell coverage in most areas of the parks). I agree that you are allowing too much time at the Canyon south rim unless you are planning on doing the hike or donkey trip down and back up after a day or two. I think the north rim is worth a couple of days but no more unless you are looking for some R&R time. It's a beautiful area. Definitely include a trip to Arches - it's incredibly beautiful. Book Grizzly and Polson as early as possible - I'd call them early this year and ask when they will accept reservations for 2020. A lot of folks make their reservations for the next year while they are camping the current year. Polson is beautiful but a little far from Glacier for us. We stayed in the West Glacier KOA to visit the park. Nice campground - particularly the deluxe sites. Personal opinion is that 7 days is enough for Glacier if you aren't hiking. We were able to drive to all entrances and did several hikes in that time. And do the Red Bus tour for the Road to the Sun. We drove it numerous times but you get so much info on the tour that it's worth every dime - and do the full day. Add some time to the Black Hills. That area is amazing - Custer is small but one of my all time favorite parks. We could easily spend a month in the area and not get bored. Watch your dates in the area - Strugis Bike week is the first week of August and the area will host about 250,000 bikers riding the hills and Needles Highway. And I'd suggest you consider adding stops at Bark Lake and Cody, WY. And then there's Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. A lovely park but the campground is basically dirt - and the only reason the town exists is to cater to the tourists. Literally. Every business is strictly for tourists and you don't want to know how much you'll pay to buy any kind of groceries in the local stores. Go fully stocked. Feel free to PM me if you want any details on campgrounds we used. We spent four months and traveled almost 8,000 miles - but we did come home (southwest FL) via Wisconsin and Michigan so that added miles. Like you, we wanted to see as much as possible after the long drive out - and now we can't wait to go back. We'll do more kid/grandkid time this summer but 2020 will find us in the west again. And that trip we'll try for the Oregon/Washington coast and spend some time in Colorado. After we go back to the Black Hills.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #58

The other great place to stay is Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Less than a mile from west entrance. Stayed here last year ( been to Yellowstone 3 of the last 5 years) hands down, my favorite park. Old Faithful, prismatic Springs, Lamar Valley, Mamouth Springs, have dinner one night at the Lake Lodge.

Couple people think 11 nights too many at Grand Canyon, I agree Lake Powell is interesting and has a great RV Park on site. Bryce and Zion are incredible. If you get by corner of Colorado Mesa Verde is nice and different.

Enjoy your trip, we hope to head to Alaska this year from South West Florida.
FrankMulliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Being the biggest expense is the miles of getting to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and North from South Alabama I am thinking about doing it all in a huge trip instead if this is possible. I have been working on planning the following locations in two trips, but I am thinking why not take a huge one instead. I would like to avoid the hot summer plus the crowds if possible. I also would like to avoid any chance of snow and freezing temperatures. My initial thought was to leave in April and start at the Southern end and the Dakotas last before heading back home.

1) Tucson area to see wife's kinfolk
2) Grand Canyon - both North and South
3) Utah National Parks (Zion, Bryce, etc.)
4) Grand Teton National Park
5) Yellowstone National Park
6) Glacier National Park
7) North and South Dakota (Devils Mountain, Mt. Rushmore, etc.)
Sounds like a great trip. My only concern for you is route planning. You might want to consider getting and consulting the Mountain Directory West edition (https://www.mountaindirectory.com/) before you travel. There are some routes here in the west that you just don't want to take your rig on. When we went through the Tetons the rout we picked was the best for our rig. The speed limit was 25mph and that was all I could do. I wish I could bring up my map for you but it is unavailable at the moment. I don't recall the roads we took. Great trip in any case. In some areas the driver has no time to sight see. Your best time to visit the parks is mid week. Weekends are a mad house.

Happy trails.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #60

We took in those sites plus added Seattle and down the West coast. Started North and went South at Seattle. Sixty two nights in the road. We left the day after labor day.
I hate to make reservations. It looks is to how long we can stay at one place or we can't stop along the way for discovery. Weekends came be crowded sometimes. I would make weekend reservations on Monday it Tuesday before that weekend. If you travel in the summer months reservations maybe hard to come by unless you do did months before.
As we travelled we must have started at 6 or 7 CG that were closing the next night. Our last night in Waco was their last night of the season.
The first two weeks we alternated between no hookups and some hookups.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #61

Its a trip well worth doing.

Quote:
Being the biggest expense is the miles of getting to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and North from South Alabama I am thinking about doing it all in a huge trip instead if this is possible. I have been working on planning the following locations in two trips, but I am thinking why not take a huge one instead. I would like to avoid the hot summer plus the crowds if possible. I also would like to avoid any chance of snow and freezing temperatures. My initial thought was to leave in April and start at the Southern end and the Dakotas last before heading back home.

1) Tucson area to see wife's kinfolk
2) Grand Canyon - both North and South
3) Utah National Parks (Zion, Bryce, etc.)4) Grand Teton National Park
5) Yellowstone National Park
6) Glacier National Park
7) North and South Dakota (Devils Mountain, Mt. Rushmore, etc.)

We did the same trip but from Southern California up. We also saw Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Custard's last stand. Pretty much freeway driving until you get up by Glacier and there's some country roads with beautiful scenery and some construction. Go for it!
edegenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #62

On your leg to Mt. Rushmore, try to stay at Custer State park. It's very near Rushmore and just plain fabulous!
As for one long trip rather than two, it makes all the sense in the world to me.
Bunky Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #63

Some suggestion on your trip.

Don't go to Glacier National Park until July the road may not be open till after June with all the snow. While going to the Grand Canon first checkout the painted desert and Petrified Forest those two are mostly a drive through but great pictures to be taken. Then head to Yosemite on to Avenue of the Giants (Red woods) then to Glacier then to Yellowstone, then the black hills, Devils Tower. If you go on I-80 you can stop at Bonneville Salt Flats, on to Salt Lake Antelope Island. When coming out of Glacier head to Red lodge and in your Equinox go up Bear Tooth pass. When you leave the Black Hill head to the Badlands.

I know you won't be able to hit all those, just some suggestion if you can make some of those stops. If you are retired you could do it all in about 2 months. We did a lot of that trip 5000 miles in a month.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:19 AM   #64

I don't want to delay my trip just to drive the Road to the Sun in July. If it is not open in late June then I just won't see it. We will enjoy a lot of the country better without the crowds in May/June.

I have not mapped out my stops yet coming across the Dakota's and then back home and the trip is around 70 nights.

Roughly I will be getting to the Grand Canyon the first week of May and Yellowstone the first or second week of June.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky Jones View Post
On your leg to Mt. Rushmore, try to stay at Custer State park. It's very near Rushmore and just plain fabulous!
As for one long trip rather than two, it makes all the sense in the world to me.
Which campground would you recommend at Custer for a 41' motorhome plus toad? It appears that all they have is electric.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 AM   #66

Quote:
I don't want to delay my trip just to drive the Road to the Sun in July. If it is not open in late June then I just won't see it. We will enjoy a lot of the country better without the crowds in May/June.

I have not mapped out my stops yet coming across the Dakota's and then back home and the trip is around 70 nights.

Roughly I will be getting to the Grand Canyon the first week of May and Yellowstone the first or second week of June.
If you do Glacier East check out construction on US 89 between Browning and Glacier East. In August it was under construction, extremely rough. Fortunately we weren't towing when we went this way. When moving from Glacier West to Glacier East we got on MT 464 at Browning and followed it to Babb then down to St. Mary campground. 464 was nice.
762vram2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #67

Thoroughly agree with Major Oz. We have been fulltiming for 10 years and have very seldom used an RV Park.

There are several small campgrounds in Yellowstone that are beautiful but have no facilities other than vault toilets.

The Blackfeey Reservation has several RV parks that are primitive. We saw Grizzlies every day wandering through or adjacent to the campground.

Use Overlander..com to find secluded and free spots

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #68

Hi from Red Stick

We have made basically the save voyage several times. My inlaws and granddaughter are in Montana and we were in Covington until retirement.

We have made the loop in 2 months when the granddaughter got married but 3 or more months makes it really comfortable.

I have seen snow & black ice in September on the Montana side of Yellowstone.

Boon docking is by far the best way to see the West and that is from a man married to a woman with a +/-1º comfort zone. The oil in the Onan gets changed more often than that in the Cat. Lucky the Generator burns less than 1/2 GPH running the AC. We usually Boon dock 2 or 3 nights and RV park a couple nights unless we are visiting family. Then we stay in a place with full hookups.

Hiway 212 into Red Lodge is one of the most beautiful roads in the country but I would not recommend doing it in a big rig. Lots of switchbacks and altitude changes. The road from Red Lodge to Billings is good. The RV park in town is very nice and the town's people are great, so is the Chinese restaurant.

I crossed the border into Canada several times on the motorcycle and no one noticed that I had not put the current year's sticker on the license plate until we were back in Louisiana where a Baker Cop gave me a ticket for an expired tag. The sticker was in the top-box all along.

We can spend several days at almost any National Park. There are too many memories to pick a favorite.

My best advice is borrowed, "slow down and smell the flowers". Always keep in mind, this comes from a guy who went to Spain for a week and stayed for 25 years, you might not to slow down that much.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #69

National RV Owners Club
We did that trip in 2016. Took 3 months, 28 states and 16,000 miles. Issac-1 was correct Do northern most states first and work toward the south. Snow starts there first and roads get closed. Some campgrounds close up in late September in Glacier and northern areas. So beautiful and so much to see out there. Enjoy. My brother lives less than 2 miles from you in Elberta. Have you eaten at the Roadkill Cafe? Try it. You will like it.
rwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great plan!

Tags
alaska, alaska trip