RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

HWY 1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey CA

Hello All,

We are doing a road trip in the coach - Ca to Wa. Mostly planning on traveling 101, slow with lots of stops as we have 2 1/2 months. Been reading the forum posts and getting all kinds of great ideas for stops and routes.

My question...is Hwy 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey doable in a 38 FT coach with a toad?

Thanks!!

Roadhouse38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 11:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes it is doable...if it is open. It was closed just the other day due to another slide.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse38 View Post
My question...is Hwy 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey doable in a 38 FT coach with a toad?

Thanks!!
My opinion... NO, NO, HECK NO!
At 38 feet it may be legal but I would not recommend this at all.

I don't think you will enjoy this ride in your coach and toad. This is one of the most beautiful, scenic rides you can ever take but at 38 feet and towing another 20, you will spend all of your time and focus on negotiating the narrow roadway and tight turns.

We did this same area a couple years ago... We parked the motorhome up near Monterey and took a wonderful day trip southward in the toad, then back to Monterey. We then drove the coach down to Morro Bay (on the highway) and took the toad northward along route 1 for a day and then back to Morro Bay.

This extra driving may seem counter-productive but we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our trip along the Pacific Coast Highway and the views were incredible.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agreed, spectacular scenery but you won’t be able to enjoy it driving that rig. Done it in a 36’ towing, all I saw was the road.
You have lot of time, stop for a while and drive the toad.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll get lots of opinions, but I would say not only is it doable, it's beautiful and well worth it. I'd recommend against trying to do it in one day but there are very few campgrounds that can take that large a rig in the middle of that stretch so definitely plan ahead.

Take your time, and take advantage of every single pull out to let the tourists in rented convertibles pass. Stop at pullouts and have coffee, stop at pullouts for lunch, stop at pullouts to stretch your legs. Nobody but you knows your tolerance for driving on a twisty road, or your co-pilot's tolerance for riding on twisty roads (motion sickness is a real thing on that stretch).

And agree - check the CAL DOT website in advance (and the morning you leave) for any closures or detours.

[ON EDIT] - Also, just to state the obvious, you're asking about driving it north-bound, so you'll be on the inside lane the entire way. If you instead decide to drive south bound, there are several spots where there's pretty much nothing between the passenger seat and a scary 100-foot drop to the ocean. So northbound is less anxiety-inducing for a nervous co-pilot.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:58 PM   #6

Thanks for all the advice...will check out the state parks along the way to see if they can accommodate a bigger coach as we would want to stop often and overnight.
I am the co-pilot and would definitely nix the trip if we were going southbound....eek, that description Bruce wrote has me cringing. The pilot may very well nix the southbound trip as well and opt for Norm’s suggestion.
Brenda

Roadhouse38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monterey