Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hwy 101 Eureka to I-5 Redbluff via Hwy 36?

I'm looking to take a different route back home from the Oregon coast to SoCal this year. I usually take 101 down through the redwoods and cut across to I-5 via Hwy 20. I'm thinking about cutting across on Hwy 36 and wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this route?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #2

I came across the 20 2 months ago not to bad at all. but 36 is not good it has 3 mtn. ranges and switch backs a lot of the way. go down a little more to 20 and across to I-5

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
While I have not been on this route, I guess I would say it depends a lot on what you are driving. We took route 299 from Reading to Eureka in our mini van a few years back and I would not want to do it in our RV with a towed car. Just looking at the map, it looks challenging.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in Brookings Oregon right now, I think I'll take 199 across from Crescent City. I've been on that route before. Some say 199 is too tight, but I found it a pleasant drive last time I drove it. My rig is about 48 feet including toad.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I'm in Brookings Oregon right now, I think I'll take 199 across from Crescent City. I've been on that route before. Some say 199 is too tight, but I found it a pleasant drive last time I drove it. My rig is about 48 feet including toad.
You'll be fine on 199. I agree that 299 would not be a good choice.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

36 is very fun...on a motorcycle. 140 miles of curves!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all for the help. Made it to Weed Ca this evening. Glad I went north on 199 after hearing all the comments. Driving up the side of Smith river was breath taking, really only about 5-8 miles of tight curves, all the rest was smooth sailing.