RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #15

LOL- no, I know it is not there, however, that would have been nice. Are you also having a 50th next year?

LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
LOL- no, I know it is not there, however, that would have been nice. Are you also having a 50th next year?

Would have been amazing....yes my wife is having her 50th next year

dmcgiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suggested add ons.

Fort Bragg, Princess seafood & restaurant. The girls catch their own fish and crab, all very fresh. About 2 miles north of 20 where it meets 1.
Fish Market & Deli | Princess Seafood

Bodega Bay, about 30 miles west of Petaluma, on Hwy 1. Doran beach and Westside are two county parks, there are others. Go tp Spud Point for crab and clam chowder!

Jalama Beach camping, right on the ocean, spectacular views, probably need reservations. About 10 miles south of Lompoc, 15 miles west of Hwy 1, very curvy and slow but well worth it. https://www.countyofsb.org/parks/jalamacamping.sbc

Rincon Beach Parkway, just north of Venture, can’t get any closer to the ocean then here, no hook ups, now by reservation.
https://www.ventura.org/parks-depart...incon-parkway/
Harrysait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #18

We pulled a 31 ft toy hauler on that route & it was very exciting....to say the least....our biggest problem was the cyclists on the side of the road!!! You need to watch out for them...as you are going around curves ....all of a sudden they are there!! many spots where there are no shoulder for them to get over, you are going around a switchback & you can't get any closer to the centre line in case something is coming the other way !! Even worse in the fog we experienced....practice a lot of patience to avoid any mishaps!! Cheers and good luck!!
lunajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
My 50th Class Reunion is next October 2019. We plan on meandering to S. California from our home on the Washington coast. We are actually CA natives but it has been many years since we have driven the Oregon and CA coast. We DO know that we will not be going on Hwy 1! We plan on taking our time and enjoying the beautiful coast and some wineries (hopefully).
Our main concern is, just how curvy is 101? I would love your comments.
BTW- We are total newbies to the RV world. We just purchased a Keystone Passport (about 22 ft.) and Tundra truck.
Thanks!!!
Once you get into California, HWY 101 is not a coastal route, for the most part. It does have places it skirts the ocean, but it stays inland most of its length. I know BobGed suggested "going around the Bay Area" but these days, unless you time it just right, you'll be sitting in a least some traffic with that route. It's all part of the Bay Area now.

To enjoy some of California's coast I would suggest this and it's quite doable in your rig and much more scenic than I-680. Continue on 101 South and after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, take HWY 1 south , also called Veterans Blvd., Park Presidio, and/or 19th Ave., through San Francisco and Golden Gate Park. Just south of the city, this turns into the 280 freeway toward San Jose. After a few miles, take HWY 1 towards Pacifica. This part of 1 is beautiful , is very easy drive and takes you along the coast through Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and into Monterey. An amazing drive with very good, mostly straight roads that highlight the northern California coastline..

Another coastal section that's easy in an RV and right along the coast is Highway 1 from Ventura through Malibu and into Santa Monica, it's quintessential southern California coastline, minus most of the L.A. traffic. If course, depending where you're going in SoCal, you will not be able to avoid the L.A. traffic all together.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgiffin View Post
Would have been amazing....yes my wife is having her 50th next year
My 50th is 2019 also. Fountain Valley for me.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #21

We're planning this trip in the spring, but the opposite direction. Great info shared here.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival6 View Post
Once you get into California, HWY 101 is not a coastal route, for the most part. It does have places it skirts the ocean, but it stays inland most of its length. I know BobGed suggested "going around the Bay Area" but these days, unless you time it just right, you'll be sitting in a least some traffic with that route. It's all part of the Bay Area now.
Just for clarification my suggested route was to go bypass San Francisco, not the Bay Area as I agree, the Bay Area covers a large area. Unless the OP is going through the area during the morning commute the traffic is not that bad. It's mostly all freeway with standard width lanes and a few traffic lights.

Quote:
To enjoy some of California's coast I would suggest this and it's quite doable in your rig and much more scenic than I-680. Continue on 101 South and after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, take HWY 1 south , also called Veterans Blvd., Park Presidio, and/or 19th Ave., through San Francisco and Golden Gate Park. Just south of the city, this turns into the 280 freeway toward San Jose. After a few miles, take HWY 1 towards Pacifica. This part of 1 is beautiful , is very easy drive and takes you along the coast through Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and into Monterey. An amazing drive with very good, mostly straight roads that highlight the northern California coastline..
I was born and raised in SF so I am familiar with this route. The OP has stated he is a newbie towing and does not want to use Hwy 1. The lanes on this suggested route across the GG bridge and through the City are narrow, with many traffic lights and lots of vehicle traffic all day long. We have family and friends that live in the City, and when we travel to visit them we stay in Pleasanton off of I-680 and take BART into the City just to avoid all the craziness.

Quote:
Another coastal section that's easy in an RV and right along the coast is Highway 1 from Ventura through Malibu and into Santa Monica, it's quintessential southern California coastline, minus most of the L.A. traffic. If course, depending where you're going in SoCal, you will not be able to avoid the L.A. traffic all together.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
I agree that Hwy 1 through this area is not bad and is dependent on the OP's final destination.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #23
PKI

The last time we ran down 1 through SF we spent quite a long time in bumper to bumper traffic. There is a route down 280 that can be reasonable. However, my suggestion would also be the 680 route. Just note that South in the morning rush hour (6-9am) will be slow as well. The exception is on a race day when HW37 turns into a parking lot.

What I did not find in the posts is the "Avenue of the Giants" which is a drive through the Redwoods that parrallels the 101. It is well worth the effort to travel. While a bit tight it is doable with your rig. Better to drop above or below and spend the day exploring with just the TV. The Highway 1 route is also doable. Take it slow and steady. There is a KOA about halfway down HW1 that can be a good place to stop and use as a base camp to explore the coast.

Truthfully, I would not advise heading West from 101 to 1 except at the North end of HW1. Most of the other routes are tight twisty roads. While doable, the effort is only advised if you have a specific reason to do it. The trip down HW1 is such a reason, so do it all. The views are spectacular.

There is an interesting RV park on South 101. "Yanks" is large new and nicely appointed RV park. There is not much around the area, so it's a good overnight stop. Caution, it's windy there.

The tour at Hearst Castle requires a trip over to HW1 again. It is worth the effort if you have not experienced it prior. Using Paso Robels as a base camp can be a good idea. That area has some nice wine as well.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #24

We started on 101 in Newport, OR and went south back in 2016. Most of the really eye catching pacific coast scenery was in Oregon and the very northern part of California.

X2 on PKI's comments regarding the Avenue of the Giants. It's just off of 101 below Eureka, CA and is TOTALLY worth the drive. There is a campground right in the middle of the old growth redwoods called Ancient Redwoods RV Park. We stayed here and were not disappointed at all - very well kept grounds, clean, and the surroundings are absolutely surreal.

We did this drive in a 35' RV... late June, early July. No problems whatsoever. It was very foggy along the coast in the AM, and there were some places that I think were probably very scenic, but we just couldn't see much because of the fog. It's a catch 22 because the mix of fog and sunshine really made for some beautiful scenery. There was a guy in the Ancient Redwoods campground who made it down the Avenue of the Giants in what must have been a 45' Prevost towing a big box trailer with all his toys. You will not have any problems.

Beyond the Redwoods, our destination differed from yours... we ended up cutting across to Sacramento and then to Yosemite and down the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Here are a couple pictures we took along this route.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160626_153259.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	229673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	229674  

Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #25
PKI

South 101 traffic through San Jose is tough from 2-6pm in the afternoon rush hour until you get past Morgan Hill.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #26

Wow! Thank you for all of the wisdom and experience. I appreciate the reminders and pointers for campgrounds and places of interest. It is a bummer the reservation policy of CA is only 6 months ahead, but there are also other options.
I am a CA native and we have been up and down CA countless times and many routes; but only in a car or VW Bus. So, thank you for the pointers on the roads. So this will be with fresh eyes; but we have camped up and down CA and OR. When we drove Hwy. 1, that was quite the scary experience when NOT in an RV.
I am sure that all of these posts will also help many others!

LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california