Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

Hwy 101 from WA to S. California- comments please

My 50th Class Reunion is next October 2019. We plan on meandering to S. California from our home on the Washington coast. We are actually CA natives but it has been many years since we have driven the Oregon and CA coast. We DO know that we will not be going on Hwy 1! We plan on taking our time and enjoying the beautiful coast and some wineries (hopefully).
Our main concern is, just how curvy is 101? I would love your comments.
BTW- We are total newbies to the RV world. We just purchased a Keystone Passport (about 22 ft.) and Tundra truck.
Thanks!!!
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are a few curves but nothing to really worry about. We went North to Victoria the year before last pulling a 32’ trailer, the majority of it on 101. Starting from Sacramento over to the coast. It’s a beautiful drive. It’s slow going thru all the little towns on the way but we’ll worth it. Enjoy the trip!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #3

Thank you! That is very encouraging.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #4

After coming across from NJ this September to Seattle then down to Portland and then across the mountains to the 101 in 32ft motorhome no problem. Lots to see and plenty of wineries. Favorite stops were the Marina campground in Newport, OR next to the Rogue Brewery/Distilery and Cape Blanco State Park. BTW Cape Blanco is a first come first served park on the Ocean and gets filled pretty quickly so pull in early to get a site. Love the Oregon coast and we went all the way down to San Francisco before heading back east.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #5

In what you have, no problem driving 101. There are some slow curves and many interesting towns to slow you dow. Enjoy!
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

the coast is still packed in September and early October you may need reservations in the popular areas plan ahead
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a great drive as long as you're not in a hurry. If you choose to bypass San Francisco (which I would recommend), here is the route I use when I reach Petaluma:

Hwy 101 South to Petaluma to
Hwy 116 East to
Lakeville Hwy South to
Hwy 37 East (near Six Flags Discovery Kingdom) to
I-80 South (near Vallejo) to
I-780 South (near Benicia) to
I-680 South (San Jose) to
Hwy 101 South
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #8

We will definitely not be in a hurry and plan to make reservations with much research. And yes, we will bypass San Francisco for sure.

Any favorite campgrounds would be nice to hear about. We are Seniors with the "Lifetime" National Park Pass which I believe helps with the cost of CG spaces.
Thx!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #9

Your Senior Pass isn't good for state parks - only national, national forests, Corp of Engineer, Nat'l Wildlife. It's a money-saver if you can use it.

You won't have any issues with your 22' RV. We love staying in Oregon's state parks. When traveling down 101 in Oregon plan a stop at Astoria, then midway, perhaps near Florence and then another on the southern end - we love Cape Blanco State Park. From the three stops you'll be able to day trip and see the whole coastline. Lots of lighthouses!

You don't have to be concerned about driving 101. It's all very easy; nothing like Hwy 1.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #10

Yes, I realize the Senior Pass is only valid for National Properties, etc.
For you Washington Seniors:

As a Washington resident, we can also obtain an "Off Season Senior Pass" for the State Parks which is good from October 1 to March 31. Camping is free and a hook up site is only $10.00 per night.

And Oregon has some nice opportunities for National lands and camping.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #11

Here are some that we go back to when we make this trip. From top to bottom.

Lewis and Clark RV park-Astoria
Netarts Bay Garden RV park-West Tillamook
Newport Marina-Newport
Winchester Bay-Reedsport
At Rivers Edge-Brookings
Ancient Redwoods RV Park-Redcrest (our top 10 in the country)
Napa Expo RV Park-Napa
Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Park-Felton
Moss Landing KOA-Moss Landing
Morro Strand State Park-Morro Bay (Hearst Castle)
Ventura Beach RV Resort-Ventura
San Clemente State Park-San Clemente
Chula Vista RV Resort-Chula Vista (Sadly it is closing on 1/31)

All these fit our wish list. Paved, handle a 40 ft, Full hookups, and offer good cycling in the area from the parks. With your size, you will have a lot more options and be able to take advantage of the excellent state parks in WA and OR.

All the above are also an easy drive between each.

Just putting the list together makes me want to start the drive again.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #12

If you have the time and a spirit of adventure , there is a side trip to the coast and a short section of Hwy 1 to Mendocino and to Montgomery Woods State Park that's not to be missed. The Park is absolutely awe inspiring with it's stand of Old Growth Giant Seqouia .
We have done it in our Tioga 24D with toad, with no problem.
Best way to get there is,
Hwy 101 South to Willits , turn West onto Hwy 20 and continue to Hwy 1 just South of Fort Bragg , turn South onto Hwy 1 to Mendocino , have lunch , the town is worth the ride in it self. From there continue South on Hwy 1 to the Comptche Ukiah Road , turn East and follow it to the Woods. Then it's back on Hwy 1 South to Hwy 128 , turn East and back to Preston and Hwy 101.
It's well worth the time and an experience you won't soon forget.
Happy Trails
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #13

Jake21 and Bill Gail-
Thank you so much for this information! This is very helpful in planning on where to stay and some great exploration adventures as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
My 50th Class Reunion is next October 2019. We plan on meandering to S. California from our home on the Washington coast. We are actually CA natives but it has been many years since we have driven the Oregon and CA coast. We DO know that we will not be going on Hwy 1! We plan on taking our time and enjoying the beautiful coast and some wineries (hopefully).
Our main concern is, just how curvy is 101? I would love your comments.
BTW- We are total newbies to the RV world. We just purchased a Keystone Passport (about 22 ft.) and Tundra truck.
Thanks!!! [emoji144]

Where in S. Cal is reunion? By chance is it Temecula? Wilson Creek Winery?
dmcgiffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california