Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Hwy 101 from Washington to California

We're in Seattle and are looking at traveling along Hwy 101 through Washington, Oregon and California. We will do this in January. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
bobhauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

Sounds like fun. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190921_144614.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	271824
Old 01-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #3

Keep an eye on the weather. We did it three years ago, and much of the northern California part was closed due to landslides. That was the year it rained so much. We went at the start of February, but in reality, that isn't too far away from now on the calendar. It is a super scenic route. We really enjoyed it. Enjoy.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

Take your time and enjoy the ride and view! It is a great ride!
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I would avoid the SF bay area like the plague, other than that, take your time, expect it take longer than the miles would indicate.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I would avoid the SF bay area like the plague, other than that, take your time, expect it take longer than the miles would indicate.

Fred

If you go through San Francisco (the city that is also a toilet) you'll pay $31 if you have 4 axles, or $38.75 if you have 5 axles, to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. And since they no longer have toll-booth workers they'll send a bill to the address associated with your license plate. If you're on the road and don't pay the bill in a timely manner they'll add on late fees.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically when we travel, we can take the distance, divide it by 50 - 55 and get a pretty good idea how long it will take at an average highway speed ( ie: 550 miles = 10 hours).

On the 101 from Washington through Oregon and most of California, north of San Francisco, you can drop that number to total mileage divided by 35. A lot of slow areas through various towns.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #8

Smile Hwy 101 Seattle to So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Typically when we travel, we can take the distance, divide it by 50 - 55 and get a pretty good idea how long it will take at an average highway speed ( ie: 550 miles = 10 hours).

On the 101 from Washington through Oregon and most of California, north of San Francisco, you can drop that number to total mileage divided by 35. A lot of slow areas through various towns.
Unless you are in a hurry, take the opportunity to explore those small towns, and ask the locals where they would go for XYZ (e.g., lunch /supper /groceries /sightseeing). This enables a couple of things: you meet locals, and you see or find things that you may never have experienced if you just carried on down the highway. We found the locals were proud of their area, keen to show it off, and appreciated visitors taking an interest in their hometown. If you are a seafood fan, there are many fine restaurants and markets offering fresh seafood, often directly from boats docked in the town.

Also, you do have to keep an ear open on road conditions - slides and washouts have happened, and sometimes repairs take time, which gives more time to explore that last town you rolled on through.

Overall, we highly enjoyed the coastal highway, and will do it again. The slower pace can be relaxing, assuming you are not in rush. If you find the pace and progress too slow, head back to I-5 so you are not frustrated and tempted to drive aggressively.

I hope this persuades you to head down the coastal highway !

Leftie Canuk
Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
TR4

Yes, avoid the San Francisco Bay Area between 6am to 10am and 2pm to 7pm. That’s when there’s real heavy traffic. All other times it’s just heavy traffic.

Slim pickens for places to stay in the Bay Area. If your interested in staying just south of SF, near 101, close to BART (to explore the area), P M me. I don’t remember the name, but ride past it when I go on the bay trail. I can get the information for you. They have a great bike trail or you can watch the windsurfers. Also, golf course within walking distance. A little noisy because it’s near SFO airport.

Bill
Old 01-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #10

If you are driving a large long RV, you will not find many pullouts large enough for you along 101 in Oregon or Northern CA.
One of those small towns referenced has an RV park next to the docks, actually it is a blacktop parking lot with hookups. We decided to spend a week there once we arrived for an overnight only. I forget the town name.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If you are driving a large long RV, you will not find many pullouts large enough for you along 101 in Oregon or Northern CA.
One of those small towns referenced has an RV park next to the docks, actually it is a blacktop parking lot with hookups. We decided to spend a week there once we arrived for an overnight only. I forget the town name.
Florence Oregon?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:06 AM   #12

Newport, OR has a campground at the marina w full hook ups and has the rogue brewery and distllery across the parking lot. There is also a free shuttle from the campground that runs into town and along the waterfront. Great food. It also stops at local supermarkets. One of our favorite stops when gong down the 101.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Really? Please do explain. Certain areas, yes. But a blanket statement like that implies you are trying to land a 757 along the coast.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
It would be a shame if your luggage rack or bikes covered your license plate when you went thru the SF golden gate automated toll booths. This assumes you took off your front plate.
jdstew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california