RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhauptmann View Post
We're in Seattle and are looking at traveling along Hwy 101 through Washington, Oregon and California. We will do this in January. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
We recently did the Washington & Oregon coast so here's a few ideas...

#1 - You MUST stay at Sea & Sand RV Park!(Oregon) It's almost right on the water! Here's the link: (Here)
It's between Lincoln City and Depot Bay and we LOVED IT! (I'll post a pick at bottom) Try and get the ocean view sites which are sites 104 (the biggest are 107 & 109 38' although I've seen bigger rigs there) through 114. But whatever you do...DON't TELL ANYONE!

#2 - 1-877-444-6777 - Mora CG (Washington): Might want to stay here, but it's a bit off the track, gives you access to Rialto Beach. I don't know why, but I had the best 2 nights sleep while in that campground. No kids running all over the place making noise...very quite and peaceful. We actually rode our bikes to the beach from the CG.

#3 - Kalaloch, WA - BIG campground with interesting things to see.

#4 - THIS ONE! This is LITERALLY ON THE BEACH! South Beach Campground - (Washington).
(360) 565-3131 - NPS.GOV - We stumbled upon this last year and it was $10, but no hookups or reservations, good for a one night stay.

Don't really have any other great campsites...Fort Stevens was interesting and very large, and close to Astoria which is small but has some good restaurants, oh, and the Flavel House Museum..if you like Ornate Victorian mansions.

Good luck and be safe!

Here's the pics: Sea & Sand RV Park...and...Rialto Beach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea-n-Sand-rv-park-summer-2019.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	271906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rialto-Beach-hay-stacks2.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	271907  

TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We heartily agree with trying to get into Sea & Sand RV Park! We managed to get in a couple of years ago at the last minute and it was awesome being parked that close to the water - watching the sun set is just beautiful! If I recall the ocean-front sites were about $75 a few years ago...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We heartily agree with trying to get into Sea & Sand RV Park! We managed to get in a couple of years ago at the last minute and it was awesome being parked that close to the water - watching the sun set is just beautiful! If I recall the ocean-front sites were about $75 a few years ago...

Yes...not cheap but sooooooo worth it! We already rescheduled for this year.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Typically when we travel, we can take the distance, divide it by 50 - 55 and get a pretty good idea how long it will take at an average highway speed ( ie: 550 miles = 10 hours).

On the 101 from Washington through Oregon and most of California, north of San Francisco, you can drop that number to total mileage divided by 35. A lot of slow areas through various towns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Just keep in mind travel is never fast on the coast the 35 mph is a Good number. Ocean front camping sites are great in the Summer, can be a little wild in January. We are currently host at a closed SP south of Waldport, our site is feet from the Ocean, and with Gale force wind and high surf can be crazy.
Take your time and enjoy the coast!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Really? Please do explain. Certain areas, yes. But a blanket statement like that implies you are trying to land a 757 along the coast.
Nope, we had a CC, LB, Chevy Duramax towing a 40' 15,500# 5er, 59' overall.
I didn't know I made a blanket statement. Sorry, I'll try to refrain from writing that again.

To the OP, check out Sea Perch RV resort before your adventure. Yahats Oregon is a really neat small town, don't skip it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If you are driving a large long RV, you will not find many pullouts large enough for you along 101 in Oregon or Northern CA.
One of those small towns referenced has an RV park next to the docks, actually it is a blacktop parking lot with hookups. We decided to spend a week there once we arrived for an overnight only. I forget the town name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Really? Please do explain. Certain areas, yes. But a blanket statement like that implies you are trying to land a 757 along the coast.
There are many Oregon State Park Day Use parks, easily accessible going south on 101.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #21

Bob, you don't mention what kind of rig you are running, and I'll mention this even though it is fairly obvious. It is very tedious in a big rig. We did part of it from Winchester OR up to Cannon Beach, then over to Portland. Lots of areas where you have to lose a lot of speed REALLY quickly due to a sudden hairpin, decreasing radius blind turns, or bad road. I mean from 55 down to 20 in 50 feet. In a 42 foot motorhome pulling a Ford Flex it was not easy.

If you do go that way, the park on the marina at Winchester Bay is hands down the nicest place we have ever stayed. Beautifully laid out and maintained, and with a lovely view. Garibaldi also has an RV park on the water and it is a little less groomed but still interesting to watch the boats cross the bar.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:43 PM   #22

101 in Oregon is supposed to be a scenic drive. . . no need to go fast. I can't recall hairpin turns or bad surfaces. We've done it often with our 40' MH towing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
There are many Oregon State Park Day Use parks, easily accessible going south on 101.
Are they a pull-out alongside 101,no; different than what I addressed. Yes, they are scenic, we drove the truck to most of them. My cousin lives in Yahats, OR. He took us to nearly all of the state parks and government lands accessible by my 4wd dually.

I may be wrong in assuming you think I was ignorant of the OR state parks along 101, if so, I apologize.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Lived there the first 63 years of my life. I took many rvís up and down the Pacific coast. The latest just this year is 40í motorhome with a 25í car hauler . Never had a issue finding pullouts. However , certainly not every one was accessible
Itís a 2 lane and sometimes curve laden road yes .. after all it does follow the coast line . I wouldnít classify sudden hairpin curves as normal .. perhaps there are a few. But all are clearly marked even the ones that are 45 not 55mph curves. Your comfort level in driving your rig determines your enjoyment. Ask yourself do large 2 lane state highways bother you ? Keep in mind the view is spectacular and driving and sightseeing the view at the same time will make the road seem smaller. If the driver drives and passenger sightsees its a no problem road. One of the top 10 drives in the US . Enjoy.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #25

We will be in a 38 ft DP towing a Jeep
bobhauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #26

We do the 101 frequently in a 36' DP pulling our Jeep. No issues at all.
Sure, there's a few twists and turns along the way. Enjoy the view.
BTW, Winchester Bay Marina RV is spectacular.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #27

Bob- We are Washingtonians and originally from California, by way of being 30 years Oregonians. We did nit like driving parts of 101 between S. Cal and the bay area in a car, let alone with our travel trailer.
However, last April we drove to S. Cal but entered 101 from Eugene on I-5. We have been up and down the Oregon coast and you will love it. The roads can be a bit squirrely beginning in S. Oregon and into N. California. In fact, we were very shocked at the poor quality of the roads and how windy they were.

Also, when we lived in Portland, we would drive from there to the LA area in our car, and it was 18 hours driving straight through on I-5. We only made bathroom stops.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhauptmann View Post
We will be in a 38 ft DP towing a Jeep
Well, you're only 6 feet longer than we were and you're going in the right direction..south...so turns offs are easily done.

We did both the Washington and Oregon coast in back to back summers and never had any issues...I think you'll be fine.

In regards to doing it winter time..yes, as other folks have mentioned, the wind/weather could be a factor..but again, I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Have fun and post some pics along the way!

Tags
california