Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Well now that we have driven Hwy101 from Washington State to San Francisco I thought I would give everyone an update on our trip. In a word AWESOME!

Driving 101 was a challenge in a few places but very doable. We started in Pacific City, WA and except for a wrong turn onto WA109 which had a couple of hairpin turns, the 101 was easy to drive. In Oregon we found some coast roads that were a challenge. The DW did not like the height of several bridges and a few cliffs. The road was repaired from winter damage so we only found a couple of road closures due to repair work. One bridge repair delayed us for about 20 min. I used the time to make lunch and get up to move around so I was happy.

In California we did not have any trouble with construction, or road conditions. The California Redwoods was better then we imagined. We stayed at the Ancient Redwoods RV park and except for the 1 mile down the Ave of the Giants it was a great park. The picture below looks bad but we were able to drive it as long as nothing large was coming northbound towards us. There is one 3 mile stretch of the 101 that was like this picture, south of Garberville, where the redwoods are along the roadway and brought me to a stop to allow traffic to pass northbound.

Weather was a problem most of the trip in that we had rain more then not but no fog this time of year. We did have more then enough sunshine to make the trip well worth it.

As far as sightseeing, I cannot put all of the great sights we saw in this post. The Washington and Oregon coast is beyond description and the California Redwoods have to be seen to be believed. We tasted wine, beer and cheese, had sunset fire on the beach, and visited lots of great museums. We did not get to Voo Doo Donuts but I did visit the Tillamook Air Museum which has a lot of great WWII displays and aircraft. A big surprise to me it is also an indoor RV storage lot. The picture below shows how really big it is and how amazing the structure really is.

If your looking for a very enjoyable trip you can't go wrong driving Hwy 101.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AveOfGiants.jpg.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	41234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tillamook.jpg.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	41235  

CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Doug:

There are a few twisty, white knuckle stretches, particularly between Astoria and Cannon Beach, but it's all doable, even in a 40-footer. We saw lots of big rigs with big toads and none of them were dinged up!
there is no sharp curves between cannon beach and astoria. there is lots of traffic and speed limits in the towns but no sharp curves. maybe you are thinking about between lincoln city and cannon beach where there is a few places where the road gets a little twisty but just slow down and enjoy the view

Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
Well now that we have driven Hwy101 from Washington State to San Francisco I thought I would give everyone an update on our trip. In a word AWESOME!...

If your looking for a very enjoyable trip you can't go wrong driving Hwy 101.
Sandee & I are looking at a similar route next summer. Based on what you experienced, any issues with 43' & Honda CRV toad? Thanks for your update!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Sandee & I are looking at a similar route next summer. Based on what you experienced, any issues with 43' & Honda CRV toad? Thanks for your update!
I had my concerns before we left but I found the trip to be very doable. Our RV is 40' and we tow a Chevy overall length of 62 feet. A few turns were a little tight but really not bad.

The biggest challenge was campgrounds that you can fit into. Almost every campground we stayed at were originally built in the 80's or 90's and designed for RV's that were much smaller. I had a coastal pine tree rub the length of my coach, a tree branch take out two roof FM antennas, another tree branch take out two roof vents and I dinged my front bumper on rocks trying to maneuver into a campground dump station. I won't detail a couple of hair raising adventures trying to navigate into parking spots. I had a long conversation with one CG manager and he explained that with all of the new laws regarding building on the coast, the CG as they are configured are grandfathered in, and it would be cost prohibitive to upgrade to make the CG more accommodating to the new larger RV's.

I do not have any advise on which campgrounds to use. We called every CG we stayed at and asked if they could fit a large RV they all said "yes," and while they could fit our RV they left out the challenge we would have getting in and out. I encourage that you take this trip you will not be disappointed. Read CG reviews, call the CG and ask questions and look on Google maps hopefully you pick better CG's then I did.

PM me if you want a list of CG's to avoid.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
Thanks for that info. Hopefully the locals won't object to much if I take my time getting through the curves. I have added a trip to the Air Museum for sure thanks for that tip. Years ago I was stationed in a blimp hangar at NAS Lakehurst NJ very near the spot the Hindenburg crashed (many years before I was there). It will be interesting to compare how the two building were constructed.
If you get a chance drive over to McMinnville (I believe) where the Spruce Goose is, now that's worth the drive. I also agree on the Tilli Air Museum.