Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hwy 101 N of San Fran along the Oregon Coast

We wanted to drive up to the redwoods and along the Oregon coast in June. I was wondering if I will have any problems with my 40ft DP on this hwy and if anyone had any good CG recommendations. We want to take our time so 100-200 miles and stay a few days ending in Seattle.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hwy 101 will cause you no problems in that stretch and you'll love the area. You probably don't want to get ambitious and venture over to Hwy 1 with that rig though.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been up highway 1 with a 40 ftr towing. It is doable, but the pucker factor is a little high.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #4

We just got back from a 2-week trip from Astoria to Crescent City. There are real problems on 101 south of Crescent City. We ran into several sections of damage where the southbound lane had suffered slide damage and was being repaired.
in about 15 miles, and visibility in the fog down to about 500 feet, we decided the redwoods weren't THAT important and turned back.

I would strongly advise getting the most up-to-date information you can from California Highways department before you commit. BTW, our rig is a 32-footer and we don't tow.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Benbow Resort in Benbow Ca, Harris Beach State Park in Brookings Or, Ft Stevens State Park near Astoria...Reservations available check on line. Also Honeyman State Park near Florence. (actually almost any Or state park along the coast and there are plenty)
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #6

There are a lot of good campgrounds on that route. Among others, we like Ancient Redwoods, Sounds of the Sea, Mad River, etc. rvparkreviews will let you check these and the abundance of others. We've never had issues with fog or wind during the summer months.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #7

Ronnie:

We stayed at Harris Beach two weeks ago with our 32' Georgetown and found things rather tight. The site designs probably pre-date the introduction of slide-outs and the roads around the loops are narrower that newer CGs. I had a minor disagreement with a rock wall while backing into our site.

The other thing we found odd was that a lot of sites with Cable TV had no other hook-ups.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
We wanted to drive up to the redwoods and along the Oregon coast in June. I was wondering if I will have any problems with my 40ft DP on this hwy and if anyone had any good CG recommendations. We want to take our time so 100-200 miles and stay a few days ending in Seattle.
Have not done the Coast route but in the Tacoma Seattle area, if you can work Gig Harbor into your route, it will be well worth it. There is a beautiful RV park a few blocks from the boardwalk in Gig Harbor proper. Plan on a full day of site-seeing in Gig Harbor, which can all be done on foot. If you have a toad, there is plenty to see in the surrounding area and could be a two-day stay easy.
BriaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to everyone who posted. I have looked at the CalTrans website regarding the construction and it shows days and times when they will be closing the road. I hope to avoid these closures by traveling thru that area on the weekend. I am looking at including several of the stops mentioned into our trip including Gig Harbor.

My main concern was driving Hwy 101 with our rig. Still new at this and don't want to go down a road I shouldn't. I will stay away from Hwy 1 and hopefully we don't hit any fog. If there are any other areas I should avoid please let me know.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #10

Doug:

There are a few twisty, white knuckle stretches, particularly between Astoria and Cannon Beach, but it's all doable, even in a 40-footer. We saw lots of big rigs with big toads and none of them were dinged up!

If you're at all interested in airplanes and unusual buildings, go see the Tillamook Air Museum. It's housed in a former US Navy airship hangar.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Doug:

There are a few twisty, white knuckle stretches, particularly between Astoria and Cannon Beach, but it's all doable, even in a 40-footer. We saw lots of big rigs with big toads and none of them were dinged up!

If you're at all interested in airplanes and unusual buildings, go see the Tillamook Air Museum. It's housed in a former US Navy airship hangar.
Thanks for that info. Hopefully the locals won't object to much if I take my time getting through the curves. I have added a trip to the Air Museum for sure thanks for that tip. Years ago I was stationed in a blimp hangar at NAS Lakehurst NJ very near the spot the Hindenburg crashed (many years before I was there). It will be interesting to compare how the two building were constructed.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Chief. Are you looking at seeing San Fran or have you already done that?

We stayed at Travis AFB and drove 21 miles to pick up the Amtrak or whatever train into SF. We used the card that they provided and populated it with $20 for each of us. When we left I had $8 left. The fee from the departure point to the 45 minute ride is a few pennies less that $3. The card is good on the trolleys and buses in SF. Great way to get around.

Another place would be the Petaluma Coast Guard Station, but they only have 6 sites and no sewer. They do have a dump station. We really enjoyed the peace and quite of that CG.

When in Seattle, don't forget to go to VooDoo Donuts. Quite interesting.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Not far from Tillamook is the Spruce Goose - in McMinville, Oregon. If you by chance like unusual aircraft it's worth the 60 mile trip.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #14

Voo Doo Donuts in downtown Portland Oregon
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote