Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #15

As for crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in a 45' MH...you could not pay me to do it. The 101 in downtown San Francisco is not a freeway...city streets, hills, street cars, cable cars, & IDIOTS. I would cross the Bay Bridge to Oakland and cross back over on the San Rafael bridge (I-580). I believe the Bay bridge is still free east bound.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #16

Hwy 199 from Crescent City inland is closed to MH over 40'
Crescent City RV park is very nice
Could head up the coast into Or; Brookings and north, beautiful
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
As for crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in a 45' MH...you could not pay me to do it. The 101 in downtown San Francisco is not a freeway...city streets, hills, street cars, cable cars, & IDIOTS. I would cross the Bay Bridge to Oakland and cross back over on the San Rafael bridge (I-580). I believe the Bay bridge is still free east bound.
280 to 580 back to 101...GOT IT!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Hwy 199 from Crescent City inland is closed to MH over 40'
Crescent City RV park is very nice
Could head up the coast into Or; Brookings and north, beautiful
I hadn't had a chance to double check this...THANKS! HMMMM...
Old 03-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
I live in Snohomish, WA which is north and east of Seattle. Seattle is not an RV destination. There are however many great RV parks that will accommodate your DP. Where exactly in WA do you want your final destination to be and I can give you some excellent suggestions. Also, I wouldn't take the coach on 101 between Cambria and Monterey. It's a beautiful drive but could be torturous in a large motorhome.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I live in Snohomish, WA which is north and east of Seattle. Seattle is not an RV destination. There are however many great RV parks that will accommodate your DP. Where exactly in WA do you want your final destination to be and I can give you some excellent suggestions. Also, I wouldn't take the coach on 101 between Cambria and Monterey. It's a beautiful drive but could be torturous in a large motorhome.
We would like about a week somewhere near Seattle to visit the Boeing museum and some of the usual touristy places. After that we want to spend a week in Anacortes with some ferry trips and maybe a drive up to Vancouver BC for a day. Then we start our eastward trek back to IL for a wedding at the end of July. Tentatively we will be in those areas from June 2nd through the 16th but we are a bit flexible.

BTW...are you talking about 101 or the PCH being rough? The PCH would be a NO GO because of some MAJOR bridge repair/replacement and wash outs.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We did that last year...you are so correct! The movies were great, especially when they pulled the curtains to the side. We are looking to visit Mount Rainer from Cascade Peaks. Also thinking of taking a couple days before we go to Seattle to visit Crater Lake.
If you want to see Crater Lake I would take 97 out of Weed, CA. This will put you on the back side of the Cascades. 25-30 miles north of Kalamath Falls OR is Collier State park...FHU and has sites that will take a large MH. Take your toad up into the park (south entrance) The loops around the lake will probably not be open yet due to snow but the road to the south end overlook is kept open year round. If you decide to stay on I-5 pick a park around Medford or drive east as far as Joseph Stewart State Park on Crater Lake Highway. W/E-30 amp big sites at the state park. Again take the Toad as you will not want to take a 45' er up to the lake just to back track back off the mountain. If your on 97 you can cross over to the west side on 58...trucks use this route as it a lot less up, down, up, down, ect. 97 continues on up to the Columbia River Gorge...good road, lots of passing lanes, spectacular views of the volcanos. The Gorge is to be seen along with waterfalls west in to Portland...I-205 north into Washington when it joins with I-5 at about MM11.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #22

For Crater Lake the best places to stay are Joseph Stewart State Rec Area or Collier State Park - both have gorgeous big sites.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #23

No tolls on 101 in OR or WA. However unless your not in a hurry you will want to cut inland at Aberdeen to Olympia. From Aberdeen north is a giant circle which will bring you back to Olympia. That is unlesz tou dont mind paying for a ferry ride.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #24

Plan a stop at Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula - a neat small town with lawn concerts, excellent restaurants and near a lot of possible things to do. Fort Worden State Park - beach sites are great!

For a day trip to the Seattle waterfront, take the ferry from Bainbridge Island - easy drive from Port Townsend. Walk on the ferry for a quick ride ending near the Aquarium. You can take the monorail to the Space Needle and shop at Pikes Market before boarding the ferry for the return. Walk to many other places. It's the easiest way to do Seattle without parking nightmares.

From Port Townsend you can also take another ferry to Coupeville - take your car for this day trip up to Anacortes.

Another ferry day trip from Port Townsend - drive to Port Angeles and spend the day on Vancouver Island around Victoria. It's a festive harbor area, good food and easy to pick up the public bus to take you out to Burchart Gardens.

Also from Port Townsend an easy day trip to Hurricane Ridge of Olympic Nat'l Park.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Plan a stop at Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula - ...
That looks like an interesting option. Any recommendations for places to stay between Port Townsend and Port Angeles?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #26

Do a search on Sequim, wa
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
That looks like an interesting option. Any recommendations for places to stay between Port Townsend and Port Angeles?
It not a long drive to Port Angeles from Port Townsend. Personally, Port Townsend has a lot more to offer. Sorry, can't recommend anything else that direction.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great advice

A lot of great ideas have been offered. The Oregon Coast is uniquely beautiful and worth considering. Then, at Cannon Beach, go east on U.S. 26. Crater Lake is a must-see. If that's your preference, go through the Redwoods in NoCal. Then, U.S. 199 east to I-5, OR-62 to Crater Lake. U.S. 97 takes you by several 10,000+ foot mountains to the Columbia River Gorge. Happy traveling!

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent